Analog Motion rear light always on

zogster

Local time
4:03 PM
The fixed rear LED light on my Analog Motion AMX is always on - wonder if anyone can give me a couple of pointers before I try and fix the issue. (I'm not inclined to take it to a bike shop as, firstly, I think a bike shop caused the problem, and also I'm experienced enough with fixing electrical and mechanical things that I'm happy to do it)

Problem: whenever the battery is charged (and switched on) and on the bike, the rear LED light is always on. Turning lights on and off from controller makes no difference. When I remove the battery the light slowly dims and dies (suggesting there's a capacitor somewhere in this story?). Installing the battery when the light is off makes the light come on dimly. Removing the battery and replacing it almost immediately makes the light shine a little more brightly. Repeating the process makes it shine repeatedly brighter, until it reaches maximum brightness.

Bit of history: a few weeks ago I the fixed lights stopped working. I dropped the bike into a bike shop who fixed the problem (bad connection apparently), but they took ages to get around to fixing it, and rather obviously only completed the job at the last minute.) Seemed fine at first, then a couple of days later the electric power simply died 4 or 5 times on a trip (and came back after a little turning-off-and-on). That problem only happened once, on that one trip.

So… any ideas? I expect that if I pull all the electrical bits out, I'll just find a short or bad connection - but if anyone has any more specific ideas please let me know!

It sounds like the lights are connected to an aux output on the controller. This would have capacitors. The bike shop may have had to get a new controller to solve the original problem. The dying multiple times is a problem, are you sure the battery was not low, were all these off and on cycles withing a short period near the end of a fairly long ride, battery low at this time?

Should be a menu item for the lights, could be a standard thing for lights always on with a new controller, could be overheating the aux output and causing issues, could be just defective controller or a bad switch.

Most brand-name ebikes sold from shops are hell to get parts for, whether under warranty and "supported" or not.

When you say "it seemed fine" after the shop had it were the lights always on at that time? Or did this happen later, maybe same time as the multiple on/off cycles?

Ah, thanks. I don't think they changed the controller – for one thing they didn't charge me for any parts, and I think they were so last minute about doing the work they probably didn't have time to order one.

The bike dying thing hasn't happened again. And it was all on a single ride, and I believe with good charge. Obviously a serious problem if it happens again, and it made me think the bike shop was sloppy - but until the problem crops up again it's probably hard to troubleshoot.

The controller doesn't seem to have any light options apart from turning off and on - but that only affects the front light

There isn't a lot of information available concerning this brand. The few articles found describe both the front and rear lights working only when switched on. The controller location is unknown...possibly integrated into the battery or hub motor. Best thing you can do is trace the wiring from the rear light. The bike shop may have spliced it into a hot wire in the harness to get it working.

Here's a tip, son.

When a problem occurs in the midst of a series of events, it is often useful to pinpoint EXACTLY WHEN, during that sequence of events, the problem first manifested itself.

That is why I asked the question.

Now if you just don't know, or for some reason are choosing to not share this information, that's just fine. I assume you are not really interested in solving the problem.

As I am not a qualified mental health professional, just a skilled and experienced diagnostic technician, that's an issue I don't really care to spend much time on.

Here's a tip, son.

When a problem occurs in the midst of a series of events, it is often useful to pinpoint EXACTLY WHEN, during that sequence of events, the problem first manifested itself.

That is why I asked the question.

Now if you just don't know, or for some reason are choosing to not share this information, that's just fine. I assume you are not really interested in solving the problem.

As I am not a qualified mental health professional, just a skilled and experienced diagnostic technician, that's an issue I don't really care to spend much time on.
Thanks for the passive aggressive insights (y)

You actually saw something passive in that, or just applying a label you are familiar with but don't really understand?

Good luck to you. Fix it yourself.

Hi Zogster,

Did you find a solution since then ? I also have an amx that developped the same kind of problems. I fixed it once changing the light controller (wich is hiddent in the tube close to the crankset) that has been shipped by AMX, but I can't find where to order a new one now, nor identify the reference to order one online (like aliexpress?)...

There isn't a lot of information available concerning this brand. The few articles found describe both the front and rear lights working only when switched on. The controller location is unknown...possibly integrated into the battery or hub motor. Best thing you can do is trace the wiring from the rear light. The bike shop may have spliced it into a hot wire in the harness to get it working.
The controller is most certainly built into the battery mount. Found a sticker on the base of it labelled "ANALOGUE MOTION CONTROLLER". How it took me almost a year to find, I don't know. Whoops! :D

Hi Zogster,

Did you find a solution since then ? I also have an amx that developped the same kind of problems. I fixed it once changing the light controller (wich is hiddent in the tube close to the crankset) that has been shipped by AMX, but I can't find where to order a new one now, nor identify the reference to order one online (like aliexpress?)...
Company's gone bust & it seems like a very specifically-bespoke controller/battery combo they've used. I'm currently waiting to be able to afford a replacement SW102 display & replacement julet cable, but I'm not even 100% sure it'll work as I fear the controller/fuse might be fried. If it doesn't, I reckon I'll replace the entire setup with a Bafang mid-motor conversion kit & battery.

The controller is most certainly built into the battery mount. Found a sticker on the base of it labelled "ANALOGUE MOTION CONTROLLER". How it took me almost a year to find, I don't know. Whoops! :D
No, the light controller is a separate part inserted in the lower tube of the bike frame. I changed it once, and everything ran smoothly then...untill it failed again eventually.
I removed the black plastic sheet that covered it and it looks like that:

If anyone finds a way to buy a new one, i'm interested !

Ah, apologies! Probably explains why I had problems with the lights on mine after cycling through a flood. Water gets into the tube & boom. Game over.

Should be a menu item for the lights, could be a standard thing for lights always on with a new controller, could be overheating the aux output and causing issues, could be just defective controller or a bad switch.

As I said, I experienced the exact same symptoms as Zogster with a controller that slowly died over a few weeks. The question would be where to find spare ones ?!!

Back