BafangUSADirect Battery

TLCummins

I purchased a Bafang kit with a Whale Shark 48volt 20.4 ah Battery. Battery was $699. After just 400 miles the battery wouldn't hold a charge. Tried shipping battery back at local Pack and Ship they wouldn't ship the battery sent me to the UPS store. The UPS store wouldn't ship the battery saying the Watthours was too much making it a large. Told me the only way to ship was by freight line and the cost would be around $500. Disassembled the battery and found one cell with a dark end. removed all cells from the battery the cell with the dark end had a voltage of .86 the other six in parallel read 1.1volts. All other the other 84 cells had a voltage reading of 4.2volts. Looks like one Samsung INR18650-29ea cell went bad ruined all the cells in parallel which in turn ruined the whole battery. $699 battery was good for just 400 miles. I guess you can say it was a lesson well learned.

Hoggdoc

Website
activityphoto.com
I purchased a Bafang kit with a Whale Shark 48volt 20.4 ah Battery. Battery was $699. After just 400 miles the battery wouldn't hold a charge. Tried shipping battery back at local Pack and Ship they wouldn't ship the battery sent me to the UPS store. The UPS store wouldn't ship the battery saying the Watthours was too much making it a large. Told me the only way to ship was by freight line and the cost would be around $500. Disassembled the battery and found one cell with a dark end. removed all cells from the battery the cell with the dark end had a voltage of .86 the other six in parallel read 1.1volts. All other the other 84 cells had a voltage reading of 4.2volts. Looks like one Samsung INR18650-29ea cell went bad ruined all the cells in parallel which in turn ruined the whole battery. $699 battery was good for just 400 miles. I guess you can say it was a lesson well learned.
Why don't let the place you bought the kit from worry about the shipping. They sold the crappy battery it should be the problem to replace it whatever it takes.

Unfortunately you screwed the pooch when you opened the battery. How every there maybe a company or two out there that can repair the battery. Do an internet search for e-battery repairs see what you come up with.

Hoggdoc

Website
activityphoto.com
Tell me how you would get them to send me a new battery?
I would just hound the hell out of them. The battery has a warranty they should honor it and provide a shipping label to you. BTW you said there appeared to be one bad cell in the pack, that can be replaced and the pack should come back. Maybe an issue with the BMS ( battery management system) because of a bad cell.

Companies that repair e-bike batteries:

I would recommend you contact www.hicbattery.com see what they say.

TLCummins

I didn't read all the info from BafamgUSADirect until after I made my purchase. They don't have a return on any of their battery's! I reprogramed the controller and all they wanted to tell me was I voided the warranty. Which I knew I have voided the warranty on the controller but not the battery. They finally said after many many e-mails they would reprogram the controller. I told them I didn't want to reprogram the controller that the battery was bad. After about 50 e-mails they said the ship the motor and battery back and they would reprogram the motor and check the battery. Thats when I tried shipping the battery back and couldn't find anyone whom would ship the battery except a freight company and the UPS store said it would be around $500 to ship it thru the freight company. I'm building a battery with the good cells and using a Vruzend kit. I contacted a company in California that rebuilds batteries they said it would cost $500 to rebuild the battery and $250 to replace the BMS card. That when I ordered the Vruzend kit and a new BMS card.

neilh

i hope that was a lesson well learned. dont buy chinese made batteries or separate chinese lithium cells. i believe you have counterfeit samsung cells. brand name samsung individual lithium cells have at least an 18 month warranty. bafang should replace the battery and cover the cost to ship you a new battery. i wouldnt stop hounding them. at the very least they should have a 1 year warranty on the battery

TLCummins

10 4 But if you read their web page is say no return on Batteries. It was a $699 lesson one that I will never forget.

Hoggdoc

Website
activityphoto.com
I only have one thing to say at this point, "F" the Chinese the sooner the world stops using their product the better as far as I am concerned. I heard the other day one of the big chip Mfgs is building new plant in Texas, this is what need to happen more and more.

TLCummins

Will do, I really taking my time since it's my first build and I want to make it the best I can. One thing I can already say it's an easy kit to use but it's a lot bigger, the end caps leave a little room between the cells and when you have a 13x6 it all adds up. But if I ever have problems in the future it will be easy to change cells. I will give a full report with pictures when thru.

JimO

Tell me how you would get them to send me a new battery?
Many times a battery comes with a 1 year warranty. Interesting story on shipping. I very recently shipped a 48V, 17.5ah, 10 lbs. battery from East Texas to San Diego. With signature required by recipient the cost was under $30. via UPS.

Hoggdoc

Website
activityphoto.com
Will do, I really taking my time since it's my first build and I want to make it the best I can. One thing I can already say it's an easy kit to use but it's a lot bigger, the end caps leave a little room between the cells and when you have a 13x6 it all adds up. But if I ever have problems in the future it will be easy to change cells. I will give a full report with pictures when thru.
BTW do some research on BMS's there are some features that I would look for if I were to build a battery pack myself. #1 Bluetooth capable (have to add blue board) # 2 Make sure that the maximum amps the BMS allows is more than your battery and controller call for. # 3 It would have to do balanced charging of the battery pack.

I'm looking forward to you build progress reports.

Top Bottom