BafangUSADirect Battery

TLCummins

Local time
6:37 PM
I purchased a Bafang kit with a Whale Shark 48volt 20.4 ah Battery. Battery was $699. After just 400 miles the battery wouldn't hold a charge. Tried shipping battery back at local Pack and Ship they wouldn't ship the battery sent me to the UPS store. The UPS store wouldn't ship the battery saying the Watthours was too much making it a large. Told me the only way to ship was by freight line and the cost would be around $500. Disassembled the battery and found one cell with a dark end. removed all cells from the battery the cell with the dark end had a voltage of .86 the other six in parallel read 1.1volts. All other the other 84 cells had a voltage reading of 4.2volts. Looks like one Samsung INR18650-29ea cell went bad ruined all the cells in parallel which in turn ruined the whole battery. $699 battery was good for just 400 miles. I guess you can say it was a lesson well learned.

I purchased a Bafang kit with a Whale Shark 48volt 20.4 ah Battery. Battery was $699. After just 400 miles the battery wouldn't hold a charge. Tried shipping battery back at local Pack and Ship they wouldn't ship the battery sent me to the UPS store. The UPS store wouldn't ship the battery saying the Watthours was too much making it a large. Told me the only way to ship was by freight line and the cost would be around $500. Disassembled the battery and found one cell with a dark end. removed all cells from the battery the cell with the dark end had a voltage of .86 the other six in parallel read 1.1volts. All other the other 84 cells had a voltage reading of 4.2volts. Looks like one Samsung INR18650-29ea cell went bad ruined all the cells in parallel which in turn ruined the whole battery. $699 battery was good for just 400 miles. I guess you can say it was a lesson well learned.
Why don't let the place you bought the kit from worry about the shipping. They sold the crappy battery it should be the problem to replace it whatever it takes.

Unfortunately you screwed the pooch when you opened the battery. How every there maybe a company or two out there that can repair the battery. Do an internet search for e-battery repairs see what you come up with.

Tell me how you would get them to send me a new battery?
I would just hound the hell out of them. The battery has a warranty they should honor it and provide a shipping label to you. BTW you said there appeared to be one bad cell in the pack, that can be replaced and the pack should come back. Maybe an issue with the BMS ( battery management system) because of a bad cell.

Companies that repair e-bike batteries:

I would recommend you contact www.hicbattery.com see what they say.

I didn't read all the info from BafamgUSADirect until after I made my purchase. They don't have a return on any of their battery's! I reprogramed the controller and all they wanted to tell me was I voided the warranty. Which I knew I have voided the warranty on the controller but not the battery. They finally said after many many e-mails they would reprogram the controller. I told them I didn't want to reprogram the controller that the battery was bad. After about 50 e-mails they said the ship the motor and battery back and they would reprogram the motor and check the battery. Thats when I tried shipping the battery back and couldn't find anyone whom would ship the battery except a freight company and the UPS store said it would be around $500 to ship it thru the freight company. I'm building a battery with the good cells and using a Vruzend kit. I contacted a company in California that rebuilds batteries they said it would cost $500 to rebuild the battery and $250 to replace the BMS card. That when I ordered the Vruzend kit and a new BMS card.

i hope that was a lesson well learned. dont buy chinese made batteries or separate chinese lithium cells. i believe you have counterfeit samsung cells. brand name samsung individual lithium cells have at least an 18 month warranty. bafang should replace the battery and cover the cost to ship you a new battery. i wouldnt stop hounding them. at the very least they should have a 1 year warranty on the battery

10 4 But if you read their web page is say no return on Batteries. It was a $699 lesson one that I will never forget.

I only have one thing to say at this point, the sooner the world stops using Chinese products the better as far as I am concerned. I heard the other day one of the big chip Mfgs is building new plant in Texas, this is what need to happen more and more.

Will do, I really taking my time since it's my first build and I want to make it the best I can. One thing I can already say it's an easy kit to use but it's a lot bigger, the end caps leave a little room between the cells and when you have a 13x6 it all adds up. But if I ever have problems in the future it will be easy to change cells. I will give a full report with pictures when thru.

Tell me how you would get them to send me a new battery?
Many times a battery comes with a 1 year warranty. Interesting story on shipping. I very recently shipped a 48V, 17.5ah, 10 lbs. battery from East Texas to San Diego. With signature required by recipient the cost was under $30. via UPS.

Will do, I really taking my time since it's my first build and I want to make it the best I can. One thing I can already say it's an easy kit to use but it's a lot bigger, the end caps leave a little room between the cells and when you have a 13x6 it all adds up. But if I ever have problems in the future it will be easy to change cells. I will give a full report with pictures when thru.
BTW do some research on BMS's there are some features that I would look for if I were to build a battery pack myself. #1 Bluetooth capable (have to add blue board) # 2 Make sure that the maximum amps the BMS allows is more than your battery and controller call for. # 3 It would have to do balanced charging of the battery pack.

I'm looking forward to you build progress reports.

Your battery problem is the reason I buy with a credit card. Discover card has fixed the problems that came about. I bought a used hot tub with a 1 year warranty. After 4 months it was not working and the business would do nothing until discover took back the money.Boy did they cry and whine. I got it fixed real fast .and I did not retract the bad reviews.CUSTOMER SERVICE. MY ebike is a vtuvia folding step thru fat tire.200 miles of no trouble. Good luck

I have to agree with "Portjon" contacting the credit card company and disputing the charge will get their attention, but if people read the implied contracts/warranties from Bafang, EBike Essentials, and Greenergia, all have conflicting warranty statements. Until you need them they are not an issue, but when you are stuck with a $600 brick and have no recourse but to eat it, then these companies really start to test your resolve. Having said this I am completely done doing ANY business with these guys. "Luna" is my go to guys right now, and hoping this results in a long term relationship. Waiting on a bike from "Himiway" right now that was suppose to be here last week as promised, but when the day arrives with no "EBIKE" and you contact the vendor as to what is going on and they tell you delivery has been rescheduled, makes you go Hmmmm!! If they were concerned and cared they would be proactive and inform you of the new shipping date with out being asked. Not sure what can be done to protect the consumer, but the cost of these bikes and equipment is not miniscule, and the influx of counterfiet components only adds to the distrust of dealing with "Faceless" companies on the web. "Caveat Emptor"

I have to comment on the Loon. If you are believing this is a good company which honors its warranty, then you either have little experience with them, do not read much, or are on their payroll.

I have to comment on the Loon. If you are believing this is a good company which honors its warranty, then you either have little experience with them, do not read much, or are on their payroll.
Nelson, to be fair I would think a large company like Bafang would have a better sense of what customer service is. Seems like all these Chinese companies take advantage of the distance in the lack of direct communication to cover issues like this. I don't know what the answer is short of only dealing with US base companies that provide these products that will back the products with their own warranty.

I was not talking about Bafang. I was talking about THE LOON. A US-based dealer. In California. The one the captain mentioned.
A criminal, a shyster, a liar, and a fraud. Not someone to do business with.

I was not talking about Bafang. I was talking about THE LOON. A US-based dealer. In California. The one the captain mentioned.
A criminal, a shyster, a liar, and a fraud. Not someone to do business with.
Geez, I thought they were the only place around that was reliable. I guess I need to look elsewhere any ideas?

I've not had to do the warranty from them ...Very little experience even speaking with them....Oh i read alot.....I wish i was on their payroll....

That being said, the items i have bought from lunacycle.com are as follows and have had not one problem:
1: BBSHD offroad kit with the eggrider display

2: Ludi V2 controller

3: smaller chainring.

Ok had a question about the Ludi V2 controller so i called them like the email said.
That first person was very rude and even called the LBS guy an idiot. So I hung up and called back from another phone
and got another person who seemed pretty nice and helpful, even offered me a discount code for something else but my point is,
not all of them there are mean dickheads, there is at least 1 person that is polite and helpful than i've come across.

I've not bought a battery from lunacycle.com I've been using BtrPower huge block batteries with my ebike set ups.
Had a couple bad experiences with the first battery after the wind knocked the ebike over though....

Other than that just get a huge 60v 45ah battery and Ride into the Wind, Have Fun and be Careful out there!!

Ride Safe! :cool:

HP

The first person you spoke to was almost certainly the owner of the company.

If you would like to get paid, tell him you have my personal identifying information. At one time, he offered to pay $1,000 in cash for it. Site admin was offered $25,000 for "favors", one of which was refusing to provide documentation of this criminal act. I still have screenshots of a mod admitting to these actions.

They do not "manufacture" any of their products, most of their "innovations" are stolen from other, better companies, the owner is believed by most who have met him to suffer from serious psychological issues, they refuse to honor warranties until users have deleted their detailed complaint posts, and he or one of his minions will likely appear to state "Nelson37 is telling lies about me."

Most of the people who post favorably about the company or their products have been paid or received free product in order to do so. Users D8veh and AlanB specifically, both of whom I believe are ashamed of their actions. They specifically pimped a known defective product which is no longer sold by the company, because some angry dude would not allow it to be lied about and refused to be intimidated by his bullying, threats. lies, or bribes. Three guesses who that was. Several dozen owners of a pile of broken, useless junk wish I had done it sooner.

When I posted legally accurate information about Federal regulations regarding warranty protections and available avenues for consumer protection under "lemon laws", that information was deleted from the website. Not once, not twice, but three seperate times. That is what a "gift" of $25,000 to a site admin will buy you.
'
As for alternatives - there is a nice kid in Canada with a smile who is reputable, but a bit pricey. Also an Englishman in China who used to be a Mac dealer and now sells only batteries. Again reputable with good products but also a bit pricey. Justin and Paul.

Back