Bafang BBS02 software connection issue

citizen23

Local time
4:50 AM
Hello.
This is my first post to the forum. I have just converted my old mtb to an eBike using the above kit. It's 90% complete and I am now trying to check and reset some of the settings in the controller and having a problem connecting to the controller. I am using the LUNA programming interface on a Windows 7 laptop and cannot connect to any selected Com port when clicking 'Connect'. It just returns with an 'Error opening serial port' (after accepting the usage terms). I have tried all 3 usb ports on my laptop - they initially displayed in the Device Manager as Com13, Com14 and Com15 likewise in the Luna program interface. I also tried changing the com port to com1 and com2 in the Device Manager advanced settings. It didn't make any difference got the same error.
Anyone have any idea what this error msg actually means / refers to would be so grateful.

Try a different PC. These interfaces are VERY picky about particular brands of serial interface chipsets. There are many different brands of chipset, TI almost always work, others are hit-and-miss. Fortunately, TI are very common.

On a desktop PC, a serial interface card is cheap and easy to install. On a laptop, you are going thru a USB-to-serial conversion, and this often causes the error you are receiving. Also, there are NUMEROUS USB-to-serial convertors you can try.

It's a bit of a crapshoot.

Also, see if you can get the program somewhere else. Luna products can be seriously sketchy, and their interest in quality control is minimal.

Try a different PC. These interfaces are VERY picky about particular brands of serial interface chipsets. There are many different brands of chipset, TI almost always work, others are hit-and-miss. Fortunately, TI are very common.

On a desktop PC, a serial interface card is cheap and easy to install. On a laptop, you are going thru a USB-to-serial conversion, and this often causes the error you are receiving. Also, there are NUMEROUS USB-to-serial convertors you can try.

Also, see if you can get the program somewhere else. Luna products can be seriously sketchy, and their interest in quality control is minimal.
Hey you.
I wish upon you a Happy and Safe Holidays this season, Stay Safe! :cool:

Thanks for your info. I have tried the Luna interface with a Windows 7 laptop and the Bafang USB to serial cable without success as mentioned. I’ll try to source a different Pc, obtain a second cable just in case and have another go with the Penoff interface I have seen mentioned on the Forum somewhere and report back

Thanks for your info. I have tried the Luna interface with a Windows 7 laptop and the Bafang USB to serial cable without success as mentioned. I’ll try to source a different Pc, obtain a second cable just in case and have another go with the Penoff interface I have seen mentioned on the Forum somewhere and report back
The Penoff interface is the same as the Luna one. Exactly the same software except with a Luna logo on the scrn where logos go. Just a couple of minor blip improvements.

I give links to the original creator's software (his name is actually "Penov" but for some reason even he spells it two different ways) and to a follow-on using his original software project, which is open-source which is why you see a Luna version. Luna's is a slight improvement on the original Penov, and the other one I link is a step backwards, but the author puts out a really neat graph describing what the various settings do and at least gives an idea of how they interact.

I also give a link to an Android app that does the same job. For years I used the Luna Black Box, which is its own product with its own UI and plugs directly into the display. No need for a PC or any infamously dodgy serial connection issues like you faced. Now I use the Android app because it can sit on my phone which is always with me anyway. I just put a programming cable in my toolbag and if I ever need to screw with the settings I can hook right up.

Well, I did have some success by installing a different driver (USB -> UART) on my laptop. I found a reference to this driver here in the Forum by someone having the same issues as I did and had tried multiple other drivers before the one that worked.
I would also probably go the Android route however I am an iPhone / Apple user and I don't think the App exists on this platform. I have loaded the 'Limitless' profile provided in the Penoff download am am trialling this at the moment and don't envisage playing around too much with the settings. One thing I did notice is that the DPC18 display I bought only has assistance levels 0->5 while the motor controller has 0->9 programable settings. I wonder how that relationship works .... !

One thing I did notice is that the DPC18 display I bought only has assistance levels 0->5 while the motor controller has 0->9 programable settings. I wonder how that relationship works .... !
The newer DPC18s were reduced to 5 levels. I have one of the older ones with 9 but I stopped using that model because its too dim for my taste in bright sunlight.

A good rule of thumb is the 5 levels correspond to 1, 3, 5, 7 and 9 in the settings interface. This does vary by display but I think the DPC18 conforms to this.

Well interestingly I made some enquiries with the company I purchased my Bafang BBS02 kit from regarding this very issue and after several back / forth msgs they provided this ... Penoff might be interested in this as I think I read in his document something similar to your note above regarding 1,3,5,7,9 corresponding to the 1->5 settings on the newer DPC18 display.

Attachments

• dpc18_display_specs.jpg
    dpc18_display_specs.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 59
... after several back / forth msgs they provided this ... Penoff might be interested in this as I think I read in his document something similar to your note above regarding 1,3,5,7,9 corresponding to the 1->5 settings on the newer DPC18 display.
Penoff/Penov has abandoned the project. However, the guy who took it over afterwards (and abandoned it as well) produced a screen on this subject inside of his v2.2b tool that I have exported below (I link to the tool in the article I posted above). Its a little more extensive than the one you got hold of, and it conflicts with the one you posted.

Frankly I wouldn't trust either of them given what we know of Bafang making small, undocumented changes to their products. Either one of them or neither of them may be correct for any given motor out in the wild. Plus... whoever it was that sold you the motor is probably just getting their chart from google like everyone else. Bafang doesn't talk about this stuff.

PAS levels: ----------- Depending on your display and the number of PAS configured, the following tables shows the original bafang equivalence with the software PAS levels. Note that some dealers can modify this allocation. Displays C961, C962, C965, DPC14(850C) ------------------------------ 9 levels : 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 5 levels : 0 1 2 3 4 5 3 levels : 0 1 2 3 ------------------------------ Example: For a C962 display configured with 3 levels, the PAS#2 of the C962 display corresponds to the PAS#5 of the software configuration tool. Displays DPC18, 500C ------------------------------ 9 levels : 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 5 levels : 0 1 2 3 4 5 3 levels : 0 1 2 3 ------------------------------

Thanks, I do appreciate your input to this quandary. Your doc looks to be more well researched than mine so I think I will go with the 1,3,5,7,9 start lint and try to verify this.
What do you think about setting assistance levels 2,4,6,8 to 0,0 in the s/w then going for a ride ? It should be easy to see whether assistance is available when switching to one of these levels via the display.

What do you think about setting assistance levels 2,4,6,8 to 0,0 in the s/w then going for a ride ? It should be easy to see whether assistance is available when switching to one of these levels via the display.
I never thought of that but it seems like a really good idea. however I would not use 0 and 0. I'd go with 1 and 1. Thats to help ensure throttle is less likely to be disabled while you do this test. You do 1 and 1 on PAS0 as otherwise throttle is disabled on PAS0. I have no idea if the behavior carries over to the other PAS settings but its worth trying to account for it.

Let us know if this works. I use the DZ40 at 5 levels on two bikes and I'd like to know for sure what its doing. I also have a BN136 waiting to get a home on my Apostate and it too is a 5-level display. Having been forced into 5 levels when I discovered the 9-level option on the DM03 didn't work right, I have since found I very much prefer 5 levels rather than the 9 I have been using to for years.

Okay, I performed a few basic tests today and some interesting results fy info.

Also, below I attach my unchanged Pedal Assist screen to see if you have any comments.
I like to pedal with some resistance too and prefer to stay with the rear wheel gears 6,5,4,3 (I have 8 sprockets) except on hills etc.

Test 1 I set all assist levels to zero except 1 and 9 (see attached) and can confirm that I only received assistance on level 9 when selecting display assistance level 5. No assistance was provided on assist levels 1,2,3,4 on the DPC18 display settings.

Test 2 I set assistance levels 1,3,5,7 to zero and 2,4,6,8 to a nominal value roughly based on your settings (see attached) and experienced assistance on all assist levels 1,2,3,4,5 on the DPC18 display. This is how I will run now for the next week or two.

Any suggestions welcome.

Attachments

• sgr_pedal_assist.jpg
    sgr_pedal_assist.jpg
    268.3 KB · Views: 54
  • sgr_24689_settings.jpg
    sgr_24689_settings.jpg
    341.8 KB · Views: 48
  • sgr_02345678_zero.jpg
    sgr_02345678_zero.jpg
    337.9 KB · Views: 50
I am guessing (only) that you'd want to use 1 and 1 everywhere you are trying to zero out assist for tests. This is something I need to play with myself. Probably first via a 9-level display to remove anything getting lost in translation. Confirm that the zeroes or ones or whatever really do cancel out assist on a 9-level unit, and then from there plug in a 5-level display and see how the changes affect the ride. I think the best way to do a side by side test of such is to put two displays on the handlebars and change which one you plug into. Something probably not everyone can do but I have a bunch of displays I can play with, and I'm already planning on an article on displays so I have been sort of stockpiling my spares so they are in one place for a job like this.

the levels that I have zeroed out are not selectable seemingly from a 5 level display so it doesn’t matter what values you set them to. I’m happy with having only 5 levels so will just leave as is now maybe tweak sone settings after a couple of decent rides.

Back