Bafang 1000 W mid-drive motor / controller issue

farmer_dan

Local time
8:43 AM
Hi all, installed the above motor setup on a Trek X-Calibur 8 about a month ago to be a spare for my daily rider.

No issues until 200 km when I was going up a steep hill, there was a loud bang from the direction of the motor and battery. Screen blank, had to push her!

30 A fuse blown in battery(54 V,24.5 Ahr) , replaced and worked fine on other bike. Presume this fuse blew as a result of a short downstream?

Performed a visual inspection of the motor and controller and all looks good.

Could anyone tell me how to diagnose which is the issue please?

As an aside, I'm guessing the motor is in Y configuration? There seems to be one joint on the underside of the stator.

Many thanks
Dan

Attachments

• RDT_20230925_0702264272800462216938895.png
    RDT_20230925_0702264272800462216938895.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 87
  • RDT_20230925_0702103883544464333817638.png
    RDT_20230925_0702103883544464333817638.png
    983.3 KB · Views: 86
The controller is potted, so not a whole lot you can do with hit. Its possible to remove the potting but then what? Assuming (!) its the controller, a solution is to buy a new one. Since the battery is working fine on another bike, it does seem as if the issue is confined to the motor.

Heya mate, Welcome to the forums :cool:

Thanks bud

The controller is potted, so not a whole lot you can do with hit. Its possible to remove the potting but then what? Assuming (!) its the controller, a solution is to buy a new one. Since the battery is working fine on another bike, it does seem as if the issue is confined to the motor.

Is the potting difficult to remove? I may be able to get someone at my college to repair it.

The potting can be replaced with magic gel, see link: https://www.googleadservices.com/pa...l6Go58iBAxXkSkEAHYRaBoIQwg8oAHoECAYQDA&adurl=

If you are willing to spend a bunch of time with a screwdriver, chisel, dremel etc. you can get down in there. I know its been done by determined individuals, and its been done way more than once. But once you get in there. What do you work on to fix your problem? You will need to know what all the bits on the circuit board do, and how to troubleshoot them. Thats more effort than I want to go to but if you work with electronics regularly then maybe you'll know what you are looking at.

Since it's Bufang you can get a 20 dollar USB cable and download free software (google bafang tweak tool, etc, or search this site for links) to alter/check what settings your motor is set to. Just like you can overclock a computer's CPU, you can up the limits of your motor's capabilities (or LOWER them). Increasing them too much can do to a motor what happened to yours... They could have been increased my whomever sold you the motor, etc., to make it more impressive at the expense of stability.
Anyway, just food for thought.

Yeah but what he's describing isn't going to have anything to do with messing with the motor settings interface. If he was running a BBS02 then yes he can blow his controller with too many amps. But he has a BBSHD, and its already too late the thing has gone boom already.

Back