Anyone Remember These?

WHEELZ

Local time
8:52 AM
This was the first time I was exposed to e-bikes, they actually had a dealership in town I looked at them at, I believe it was the late 90's 2000 time frame. Lee Iacoca from Chrysler was promoting them. If I recall, they were pricey for the time I think $2400?

Attachments

• e bike 2.jpg
    e bike 2.jpg
    365.1 KB · Views: 58
I don't remember it, but it actually doesn't look bad to me.
What battery chemistry did they use?

I don't remember it, but it actually doesn't look bad to me.
These bikes are actually kind of famous. Lee Iacocca wasn't just promoting them they were the flagship product for a company he formed to produce electric mobility solutions..

What battery chemistry did they use?
Sealed Lead Acid. It was 1999.

You can still see these things up for sale on Ebay. They were well ahead of their time and with a battery upgrade they are still usable.

I'd like to have one to go with my 1973 VeloSolex, these little 2 stroke machines were the e-bike of their day in the gas crisis. Mine still runs perfect, plenty of parts available.

Attachments

• SOLEX1973.jpg
    SOLEX1973.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 55
I'd love a VeloSolex and still have half an idea to restore one. Just a 'brilliant contraption' that sold over seven million units in the post-war years up to 1988.

I was just a kid when my family went on holiday to France and the place was swarming with them - and Citroen 2CVs! Great memories. It was 1966, the year England won the World Cup against Germany. I watched it on a tiny b&w Tv in a French cafe where they all supported Germany. I've not forgotten that, either!

I'd like to have one to go with my 1973 VeloSolex, these little 2 stroke machines were the e-bike of their day in the gas crisis. Mine still runs perfect, plenty of parts available.
Looks like the French were doing something very similar to Mr. Honda at about the same time!

Here's the history of them from the Wikipedia article:

History​

The Solex motorized bicycle was conceived during World War II and marketed in 1946, with 8 million being sold between 1946 and 1988 in France and internationally, having been marketed in some 70 countries. The French design ceased production in 1988. It lived on for almost two decades as a licensed design produced in China and Hungary. Production returned to France in 2005, and as of 2011 the S4800 model was being marketed by VeloSolex America in North Bergen, New Jersey.

Back