A deeply upset individual

crazy and old

Local time
4:17 PM
I had a ebike, I won't mention names at the moment. I owned it at the end of October 2022. In June it began to cut out half way up a hill, it ran better in July, not brilliant but better, then started cutting out up hills in early August, both the months mentioned were quite warm 28C ect. I cycled the bike back to the shop after calling them and explaining to them the problem, They said the bike would have to go back to the main hub to be checked.

They had my bike for 6 weeks because I was told it would be in a queue with other people's bikes, the queue was six weeks. I got a email saying that my bike was ready and diagnostics found no problems with it. I asked them if they had rode it to see the problem, they said they had.They sent the bike back via Parcelforce.

After putting the saddle and the handlebars and forks on with a torque wrench. My partner who's an engineer changed the gear and pedalled the bike by hand in to a low gear, straight away he heard something amiss, the derailleur was hitting the spokes and he noticed that the Hanger had been bent in, so The 3 largest cogs on the cassette could not be used. It is still under warranty, just about, bearing in mind it was in the main hub waiting to be looked at for six weeks.

Not sure where but somewhere along the line the hanger has been bent and I wonder what other people would do in my situation.

I guess it's because I need the bike to be sorted and if I give out the brand then who knows how that would backfire on me in relation to my bike. They have offered to send me a new hanger and pay for any costs that it would cost to get it fitted.

Yes, I thought so too, hope they follow up on the offer, my Partner will fit it, torque wrench ect. Plus in view of the damaged hanger that happened via transport of my bike from the main manufacturers, I am not sure whether I would want my bike to go in a van again. I was told 'Sadly this happens a lot'.

So you know - "in general" eBike Customer Service in the UK is quite better than here in the U.S..

Here in the US it takes a LOT of hassle to get a eBike shop or "manuafacturer" to help with "shipping damage" - and Yes rear hangars are a not uncommon damage.

In addition to the New Hangar - you might consider adding a Derailleur Guard for additional protection when riding - easy to install when you do a new hangar:

CLICK HERE UK AMAZON DERAILLEUR GUARD

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
I had a ebike, I won't mention names at the moment. I owned it at the end of October 2022. In June it began to cut out half way up a hill, it ran better in July, not brilliant but better, then started cutting out up hills in early August, both the months mentioned were quite warm 28C ect. I cycled the bike back to the shop after calling them and esplaining to them the problem, They said the bike would have to go back to the main hub to be checked. They had my bike for 6 weeks because I was told it would be in a queue with other people's bikes, the queue was six weeks. I got a email saying that my bike was ready and diagnostics found no problems with it. I asked them if they had rode it to see the problem, they said they had. They sent the bike back via Parcelforce. After putting the saddle and the handlebars and forks on with a torque wrench. My partner who's an engineer changed the gear and pedalled the bike by hand in to a low gear, straight away he heard something amiss, the derailleur was hitting the spokes and he noticed that the Hanger had been bent in, so The 3 largest cogs on the cassette could not be used. It is still under warranty, just about, baring in mind it was in the main hub waiting to be looked at for six weeks. Not sure where but somewhere along the line the hanger has been bent and I wonder what other people would do in my situation.
bend it back and reinstall the derailleur guard

I had a ebike, I won't mention names at the moment. I owned it at the end of October 2022. In June it began to cut out half way up a hill, it ran better in July, not brilliant but better, then started cutting out up hills in early August, both the months mentioned were quite warm 28C ect. I cycled the bike back to the shop after calling them and esplaining to them the problem, They said the bike would have to go back to the main hub to be checked. They had my bike for 6 weeks because I was told it would be in a queue with other people's bikes, the queue was six weeks. I got a email saying that my bike was ready and diagnostics found no problems with it. I asked them if they had rode it to see the problem, they said they had. They sent the bike back via Parcelforce. After putting the saddle and the handlebars and forks on with a torque wrench. My partner who's an engineer changed the gear and pedalled the bike by hand in to a low gear, straight away he heard something amiss, the derailleur was hitting the spokes and he noticed that the Hanger had been bent in, so The 3 largest cogs on the cassette could not be used. It is still under warranty, just about, baring in mind it was in the main hub waiting to be looked at for six weeks. Not sure where but somewhere along the line the hanger has been bent and I wonder what other people would do in my situation.
The hanger the gearset are cheap and easy to fix. While you are correct it should be covered under warranty but the aggravation of dealing with it again isn’t worth it for your own piece of mind.

Agree the aggravation of sending it back Bdr. just really didn't appeal, (more damage and time wasted). Got offered a new hangar. Partner fitted it. He wouldn't recommend bending it back in to shape as this would of weakened the aluminium hanger further. I thought the same but Partner wouldn't have it. Plus it would void the warranty if it broke ect.

Agree the aggravation of sending it back Bdr. just really didn't appeal, (more damage and time wasted). Got offered a new hangar. Partner fitted it. He wouldn't recommend bending it back in to shape as this would have weakened the aluminium hanger further. I thought the same but Partner wouldn't have it. Plus it would void the warranty if it broke ect.
I had problems with my gearing, hangers, chain and cables on my new Ebike as well. Just got it mid August and was pissed. I contacted the company and because they are likely overseas it was like having a conversation 1 sentence at a time each day waiting days for a response. They agreed to fix it but when I saw how cheap the parts were I stopped talking to them and just took care of it myself. A couple of hours and a couple of bucks a few swear words and I had the job licked.

This thread has been about part of the "Bike" in eBike. Servicing or Modding the Bike Part - resources are vast !

Back