Rims Where to get mechanical spare parts, wheel rims, spokes? for hub motor wheels

I have to address this so-called "reliability" issue with kit bikes vs pre-made.

All you have to do is take a little bit of time and read, on this fairly small forum, just how many people have a totally non-functional "reliable" ebike that requires custom and/or proprietary replacement parts which are out of production and no longer available. For those parts which ARE available, the failure rate is no different than the similar or identical parts which are part of a homebuilt kit. Also, often they are available, but several times the cost of an equivalent, generic, replacement.

The homebuilder can choose his parts to more closely match their own needs, and also which are widely available and/or have compatible replacements.

I built my bike 10 years ago. Flawless functionality as primary transport for well over 20,000 miles now. The motor is still in production. The controller and display are still in production, standard, common connectors, and there are numerous compatible replacements for both. The battery has industry standard connections for both charge and output, and generic mounting of my own design which has now been swapped to a third donor bike. Without paying extra for a custom mount and packaging, my replacement, generic shrink-wrap battery was just over $200 delivered and has performed well for several years.

The frames and accessories of most factory ebikes are no different than standard bicycles, other than some with battery mounts which are designed for the single purpose of locking the buyer into buying ONLY the expensive replacement batteries from the manufacturer.

Most any decent "mountain bike" is more than sturdy enough to stand up to conversion, and with inexpensive, easy mods can handle power levels far beyond what is available on almost any factory bike, and all with a reasonable price tag. Other types of standard bicycle are just as capable, with reasonable use.

What you actually want is an inexpensive, mild steel frame. The expense of carbon fiber, aluminum, or hi-tensile steel to stiffen and save a few pounds is no longer necessary with a motor, and can be traded for a slightly heavier, less stiff, but durable and inexpensive frame.

Most kit companies pay out far less money for people willing to pimp their products, however.

Have you seen the multiple posts from the guy who uses his ebike for hunting? Gives the full, entire, and complete company name and detailed model of e-bike in every single post. Do you think he just enjoys typing out the full company name, and detailed model of his bike, EVERY SINGLE TIME?

I am not saying he is being dishonest in his enthusiasm for his bike. I am saying he gets some compensation for doing so, and that is a shill, and a shill is, in fact, very fundamentally dishonest.

I think I have mentioned the model of my motor ONCE, and have NEVER stated where I bought it, or the battery, or my replacement battery, or my first or last donor bike. I think I mentioned the second bike once. $350 total for all three bikes. $220 for latest battery. $325 for motor. Ten years, 20,000 miles of EXACTLY the performance and features that I wanted. Total cash in current bike is actually just under $600.00.

Original battery was hi-grade from a known non-chinese vendor, and high-priced. I was most concerned about this component, and spent several times what I should. That was a mistake, in hindsight. Have bought a second unit of the new replacement battery for a neighbor, and it is also functioning well for several years.

As for a truing stand, you need a thing to hold the wheel while you spin it. You have two of those, just turn your bike upside down, fold a piece of paper to just not touch the rim, and tape it to the frame.

Edit to add -
My bike does not have radar, it has a rear view mirror. It does not count my calories, but I can carry a granola bar in the handlebars bag. It will carry a small load of groceries, in a cargo box I can remove or install in about one minute. It does 20 mph, with gearing I can assist with at that speed, even with my slow cadence. I can pedal it for miles with no power if I have to, though the only time I had to was when I effed up and unplugged the throttle without realizing it. The seating position, seat and handlebars are comfortable, for me, for an hour of continuous saddle time. It weighs less than 50 lbs, so I can easily get it on and off a bus rack. It looks like a crackhead bike, so no one has ever even attempted to steal it.

2nd edit - It also has a cupholder.

If you have the knowledge & tools to build your own solidly, sure that may be ideal.
But the OP has already destroyed his original equipment in 2200 mi., does rebuilding original equipment likely to last 20k mi?

Check out GRIN. It’s a company in Canada. I’ve been running one of their setups for 3000 miles problem free. You don’t need to use there over-priced battery.

I have to address this so-called "reliability" issue with kit bikes vs pre-made.

All you have to do is take a little bit of time and read, on this fairly small forum, just how many people have a totally non-functional "reliable" ebike that requires custom and/or proprietary replacement parts which are out of production and no longer available. For those parts which ARE available, the failure rate is no different than the similar or identical parts which are part of a homebuilt kit. Also, often they are available, but several times the cost of an equivalent, generic, replacement.

The homebuilder can choose his parts to more closely match their own needs, and also which are widely available and/or have compatible replacements.

I built my bike 10 years ago. Flawless functionality as primary transport for well over 20,000 miles now. The motor is still in production. The controller and display are still in production, standard, common connectors, and there are numerous compatible replacements for both. The battery has industry standard connections for both charge and output, and generic mounting of my own design which has now been swapped to a third donor bike. Without paying extra for a custom mount and packaging, my replacement, generic shrink-wrap battery was just over $200 delivered and has performed well for several years.

The frames and accessories of most factory ebikes are no different than standard bicycles, other than some with battery mounts which are designed for the single purpose of locking the buyer into buying ONLY the expensive replacement batteries from the manufacturer.

Most any decent "mountain bike" is more than sturdy enough to stand up to conversion, and with inexpensive, easy mods can handle power levels far beyond what is available on almost any factory bike, and all with a reasonable price tag. Other types of standard bicycle are just as capable, with reasonable use.

What you actually want is an inexpensive, mild steel frame. The expense of carbon fiber, aluminum, or hi-tensile steel to stiffen and save a few pounds is no longer necessary with a motor, and can be traded for a slightly heavier, less stiff, but durable and inexpensive frame.

Most kit companies pay out far less money for people willing to pimp their products, however.

Have you seen the multiple posts from the guy who uses his ebike for hunting? Gives the full, entire, and complete company name and detailed model of e-bike in every single post. Do you think he just enjoys typing out the full company name, and detailed model of his bike, EVERY SINGLE TIME?

I am not saying he is being dishonest in his enthusiasm for his bike. I am saying he gets some compensation for doing so, and that is a shill, and a shill is, in fact, very fundamentally dishonest.

I think I have mentioned the model of my motor ONCE, and have NEVER stated where I bought it, or the battery, or my replacement battery, or my first or last donor bike. I think I mentioned the second bike once. $350 total for all three bikes. $220 for latest battery. $325 for motor. Ten years, 20,000 miles of EXACTLY the performance and features that I wanted. Total cash in current bike is actually just under $600.00.

Original battery was hi-grade from a known non-chinese vendor, and high-priced. I was most concerned about this component, and spent several times what I should. That was a mistake, in hindsight. Have bought a second unit of the new replacement battery for a neighbor, and it is also functioning well for several years.

As for a truing stand, you need a thing to hold the wheel while you spin it. You have two of those, just turn your bike upside down, fold a piece of paper to just not touch the rim, and tape it to the frame.

Edit to add -
My bike does not have radar, it has a rear view mirror. It does not count my calories, but I can carry a granola bar in the handlebars bag. It will carry a small load of groceries, in a cargo box I can remove or install in about one minute. It does 20 mph, with gearing I can assist with at that speed, even with my slow cadence. I can pedal it for miles with no power if I have to, though the only time I had to was when I effed up and unplugged the throttle without realizing it. The seating position, seat and handlebars are comfortable, for me, for an hour of continuous saddle time. It weighs less than 50 lbs, so I can easily get it on and off a bus rack. It looks like a crackhead bike, so no one has ever even attempted to steal it.

2nd edit - It also has a cupholder.
Close to my way of thinking, except that I spend less than $50 on cells and some accessories and build my own batteries with the additional cost of a few days of all free time soldering and putting together.

For the battery attachment, that's the biggest time consumer. The do sell quick attach/detach hardware made specifically for those batteries and there are some cool attempts on youtube. A future project will be that and modularization of batteries so I can add sub-batteries depending on the distance I anticipate going.

I don't expect everyone to know how or have the time to do what I do. Some people use very expensive phone apps to hire others to assemble their new furniture. May be they are super rich or elite or they just don't know how. I was once told that converting bicycles and building batteries is very lucrative these days.
Check out GRIN. It’s a company in Canada. I’ve been running one of their setups for 3000 miles problem free. You don’t need to use there over-priced battery.
Do you think their workers (if not a cover for chinese sweat shops) are earthlings?

Grin is the real deal. Good people. Hi-grade merchandise, not inexpensive, but local to North America, they honor their warranty.

One of a few places that sells actual Crystalyte DD drives. This is the drive that virtually all other DD motors copy.

The owner also foots the bill for the largest ebike site, and one of the most informationally dense websites I have ever encountered, with ZERO ads for his company, or anyone else. Almost all of what I know about ebikes I learned there. It is not normal to go to such a site and have no clue who is footing the bill. Unlike Luna's self-promoting pile of puffery that masquerades as a site helpful to consumers.

Unfortunately, Luna owns some of the mods at the large site, so it can be unsafe. The Grin owner takes no direct hand in management of the site, just foots the bill asking zilch in return.

Also unlike Luna, Grin has actually pioneered and developed in-house, several products for the community. Best charger in the biz, best cycle computer, portable airline-certified batteries, all invented there. Contrary to Eric Hicks blatant lies, Luna has developed nothing, produces nothing, and adds nothing to the community. He personally is the one who made the large site unsafe, for several people. Real and verified criminal threats.

Grin is the real deal. Good people. Hi-grade merchandise, not inexpensive, but local to North America, they honor their warranty.

One of a few places that sells actual Crystalyte DD drives. This is the drive that virtually all other DD motors copy.

The owner also foots the bill for the largest ebike site, and one of the most informationally dense websites I have ever encountered, with ZERO ads for his company, or anyone else. Almost all of what I know about ebikes I learned there. It is not normal to go to such a site and have no clue who is footing the bill. Unlike Luna's self-promoting pile of puffery that masquerades as a site helpful to consumers.

Unfortunately, Luna owns some of the mods at the large site, so it can be unsafe. The Grin owner takes no direct hand in management of the site, just foots the bill asking zilch in return.

Also unlike Luna, Grin has actually pioneered and developed in-house, several products for the community. Best charger in the biz, best cycle computer, portable airline-certified batteries, all invented there. Contrary to Eric Hicks blatant lies, Luna has developed nothing, produces nothing, and adds nothing to the community. He personally is the one who made the large site unsafe, for several people. Real and verified criminal threats.
thanks for the commercial break. A perfect illustration. Hope you make all the pennies that you can carry

I receive zero compensation from this company.

I have relayed accurate, truthful information. Honestly DGAF if you don't like it. You buddies with Eric, maybe?

On the kit build, a crescent wrench and some scrap materials were all that was required. No mechanical skills. The knowledge is freely and widely available, you just need to take some time to read it.

update: After they forced me to give my info to this pedo paypal organization because of their monopoly and not accepting anything else for payment, it took them three days to finally inform us that they the might have shipped the rim. goodeee. That's exactly why I started this thread. This pain.

Last update. Record arrival time. 3 days, and shipped from the left coast. I guess the high price was for a very fancy shipping method. I could've saved my last job and avoided becoming homeless if I only knew. Thanks again to everyone who educated me.

2.jpg
1.jpg

Quality control is not quite to my standards, I would not use it.

So, you suggest requesting a replacement? that means at least 3 more days of no work.
I tried to send them that pic, but their contact form does not work (when you hit send it deletes what you typed and asks you try again later!!). I 'll try contacting the guy who calls himself paypal who took the money to see if he can help reaching them in their basement.

Unfortunately, this is the height of cycling season, any replacement parts or repair work from bike shop is not going to get done quickly.
I try to do my preventive maintenance during the off-season, allow plenty of time for mistakes or QC issues to get corrected.
Part of the reason why I suggested ordering a complete ebike from quality manufacturer if you're looking for something quickly that you can just hop on and ride away.
Even though it might be more in the initial cost, time & labor hour saved to get yourself on the road is likely more valuable.
Sorry for your situation.

Lectric XP Lite is still in stock for this summer, could probably receive the ebike before you get the replacement rim situation figured out.
At least get yourself back on the road.

How much do you want to hold my hands while I'm replacing the rim (like a CNC machine computer)? I don't have any money, can I pay you with a pound of flesh just like "Shylock" requested in Shakespeare's "Merchant of Venice"?

What is the cycling season? is it the season when people who work for a living start going to work? or do they go to work more? or is it when people who work for a living and cannot afford a 20 year old walmart bicycle that they get from craigslist start getting special discounts on craigs list and start buying bicycles to ride to work? or may be that's the most probable time that they start damaging their voilamart wheel rims?

I'm just being honest with you about your options.
Whether you have money is not something I can tell you.
Donating plasma, platelet was an option when I was in college to get quick cash.

Love your body, it will pay for what you need.. and more sometimes.

Love your body, it will pay for what you need.. and more sometimes.
I love you and I love my creator and I love extraterrestrial aliens and ancient aliens and ticks that cause lyme disease. As Rush used to say "I'm a fuzzball".
Out of love, I'll put together two more bicycles as plan B and C as soon as I get a job near my village.

First test ride. Replacing both wheels in a bicycle (or a rim and a wheel, around $135 in my case) makes it feel like a new ride. It is a world of difference when I put the brand name wheel in the front and the cheap chinese truing stand is very useful and I'll probably look for a budget and small tension meter that works for the very small 12 spokes and for regular long ones. Amazing. From now on, I'll keep two extra wheels for quick replace during work days mishaps in the future, it's worth it. The lesson is, wheels/rims/spokes are frigile but not very pricey to replace the whole thing.
Compare that, to rebuilding an engine or transmission in a car/truck!

Back