vicious dogs

Indeed the problem is very serious.

Today I read in an Italian newspaper that yet another runner was slaughtered in a small town near Rome by three dogs (they say Rotweillers but it is not entirely certain). Stimulated by this news I went to look up statistics and it turns out that every year in Italy (about 60 million inhabitants) there are 70,000 dog attacks, often by some dangerous breeds! That means 190 per day!!!

Another article I found talks about 4.5 MILLIONS bites in the US, every year. mostly by Pitbulls, only a minority (15%) by stray dogs: https://www.forbes.com/advisor/legal/dog-attack-statistics-breed/

Obviously not all runners or cyclists, the statistics are not clear on this, but given that these categories of people still represent a minority compared to, for instance, dog owners, it is fair to ask some questions.
In Poland, dogs of certain breeds must all be muzzled when outdoors. It's a shame, because the dogs are not inherently dangerous, they're just trained that way by the bonehead owners; it makes them feel tough. It can be a good guard dog without attacking every person who isn't its owner.

Rottweilers are one of the most intelligent dogs there is. They're quite popular as pets in the USA. They can be raised as a tame family dog, but when someone starts to threaten a family member, they will defend them. Pitbulls too! They're called "American Staffordshire Terriers" by the dog rescue places.

I had a couple of friends who live in Chicago who had a pitbull. It was very friendly, tail was bobbed and she didn't bark. When they walked her, she would always be pulling against the leash to get at whoever was walking by.... to get pet or scratched! She just wanted to be friends with everyone. ...but when people on the street saw her straining at the leash to get at them, they made a wide path around. The poor dog was just trying to make friends, but she had been pre-judged, hehehe. The woman felt very safe in the city at night with that dog; no worries at all.

I used paint ball gun to send them on their way, the dogs not the people. I know for a fact it hurts like hell to get shot by one at close range.
Oh god yes ... if you really want to leave an impression... the 68 cal Nel Spot paint balls that are oil-based and meant for cattle-marking are the gold standard. Those were the original paintball rounds before the sport caught on and water-based paint balls were invented. I've had blood well up in the center of a hit on an arm that has taken a shot. Have caught one on the side of the head so dried oil-based paint on hair is a long, arduous cleaning job. A set of cammies only lasted a few games because you had to wash them in turpentine which just spreads the paint and softens the color a bit.

...It was very friendly, tail was bobbed and she didn't bark.
In a loving home pits are a sweetheart of a dog. And as for rottweilers, my daughter had two of them and they were each about 100 lbs of galumphing dog slobber. Total bulls in a china shop but utterly harmless. With the right owner. But being near them you may as well dress for the front row of a Gallagher show cuz you are getting wet..

the point I think is this: there are breeds of dogs, such as labradors or golden retrievers, that rarely attack humans (the statistics I cited say so, not me), and this is regardless of how they were trained. Other breeds of dogs, on the other hand, are particularly strong and their behavior depends strictly on how they were trained. In addition, dogs still have a certain congenital unpredictability and can break free.

On the other hand, there are people who run, ride bicycles or walk.

The problem is that people don't go around asking, "Excuse me, Sir, has your dog been well trained? May I see, please, your training license and his license as a well-behaved, unaggressive dog?" Then I can also believe if someone here tells me "ah, I have raised my rotweiller well! Don't worry!"- but in general the problem arises and it is serious.

Again: I don't say it, the statistics of the number of accidents involving aggressive breeds say that.

Then I knew about a family near Rome who had two defense rotweillers, specifically to prevent burglars from getting inside the cottage they lived in, in a rural area (house burglaries are a problem in the area: usually they are not aggressive but the damage is large). They answered only to their master, the only one who could give them orders. But then one day they returned home to found them asleep and the cottage completely burglarized.

Some time later, unfortunately, a guest child came out of the door and was severely injured. The case I reported above, which happened a few days ago near Rome, also involves "well trained" rotweillers who unfortunately managed to get out of the gate of a cottage. Result: a totally innocent death.

Is it worth it? For some, yes; for me, and for many others, sorry but no. Those are instintively aggressive animals, and must be kept away from populated areas.

In other words, a good circus trainer can make a bear friendly and sympathetic, but it's not like one can go around with a bear on a leash for that...

The pit bull I am thinking of - and he's the second this particular family has had, with the first one dying of an illness, have simply been loved. No training. The most snuggly, people-friendly dogs you can think of.

You have it backwards. Its the training that is the danger. Not the dog.

And the ASPCA's statement on the subject.

You can't tell if a human who is a prime physical specimen is a homicidal maniac. We don't keep them locked up in case they walk over and snap someone's neck. Wrong solution to the problem.

In a loving home pits are a sweetheart of a dog. And as for rottweilers, my daughter had two of them and they were each about 100 lbs of galumphing dog slobber. Total bulls in a china shop but utterly harmless. With the right owner. But being near them you may as well dress for the front row of a Gallagher show cuz you are getting wet..
Years ago....I dated a girl back in college with very similar traits......she was popular at times!

1707939506267.png

You can think whatever you say guys about how lovely and well-beavhed was your own pitbull or your mother-in-law's rotweiller, but this is what statistics say, despite the fact these do not represent the most popular breed (that are golden retriever).

Not enought?

1707939698843.png

"But my aunt's boa constrictor never strangled anyone!!!" Oh yeah! Probably was a well-trained-boa-constrictor...

...Back on topics:
1707939847286.png

What unfortunate children! Yet they are so cute these dogs.... Well... who cares, let's go for a free walk, Adolf!

And last but not least:
1707939931859.png

so: 2/3 of fatal dog attacks were by not-well-trained-Pitbull, and 10% by not-well-trained-Rotweiler. Right. What a nice breed are them!

"Is the owner, not the dog!" said the dead from the grave.

Source: https://www.mkplawgroup.com/dog-bite-statistics/

Attachments

• 1707939826152.png
    1707939826152.png
    101.5 KB · Views: 16
View attachment 13294
You can think whatever you say guys about how lovely and well-beavhed was your own pitbull or your mother-in-law's rotweiller, but this is what statistics say, despite the fact these do not represent the most popular breed (that are golden retriever).

Not enought?

View attachment 13295

"But my aunt's boa constrictor never strangled anyone!!!" Oh yeah! Probably was a well-trained-boa-constrictor...

...Back on topics:
View attachment 13297

What unfortunate children! Yet they are so cute these dogs.... Well... who cares, let's go for a free walk, Adolf!

And last but not least:
View attachment 13298
so: 2/3 of fatal dog attacks were by not-well-trained-Pitbull, and 10% by not-well-trained-Rotweiler. Right. What a nice breed are them!

"Is the owner, not the dog!" said the dead from the grave.

Source: https://www.mkplawgroup.com/dog-bite-statistics/
It is a matter of size. Small breeds are more likely to bite. Large breeds are more likely to make a meaningful bite when they do.

Yeah but none of those graphics disprove or even contradict that training is the problem, not the dog from birth.

There are other sources (a bit more reliable than lawyers and "sources across the web") that get into the history of breeding for aggression, and how dogs bred for fighting against other dogs (in particular the pit bull) show no inherent species-wide signs of inborn aggression against humans. The reason is easily understandable once its formally laid out: Those who bred the dogs for aggressive tendencies did so only for specific aggression against other dogs. Dogs that showed aggression against humans were immediately destroyed and their gene lines ended then and there. Fighting dogs had to be constantly handled and managed by humans. Any sign of aggression against people and that was immediately the end of that, so that trait was selected against after a century or so.

An individual dog can still act like a jerk. All creatures have individual variations. But for that you blame all dogs, not just a single or select species. Its just like how humans are all equally flawed regardless of the race they were born into. How they conduct themselves through their lives is a product of culture and upbringing (and since mental illness is a real thing we also have to take that possibility into account).

That same good friend of mine who has the pit bulls had another dog that was a harmless-looking little fuzzball. Short legs, long body. Adorable. He was a rescue from an animal shelter and flinched at loud noises and sudden moves. He'd been abused wherever it was he grew up. My friend told me after the dog had to be put down that every once in a while the dog would give him a sidelong glance and he could tell it was a nasty look. Why did he have to be put down? One day the dog just snapped and, while his owner was petting him, latched onto his arm and tore into him so bad he had to get his arm sewn up in the emergency room, and blood loss as a threat to his life was a real concern. To get the dog off of him and get medical help he had to smash him against a wall. Not an aggressive species that personal injury lawyers could highlight in a graphic.

I had a parrot I raised from infancy who I could grab by the beak and shake his head around, and he would snap at me while I tried to grab at him. If he connected, it was part of the game and he never did anything but just connect, and I never applied any force either. We were just playing. That bird could easily sever a finger if it caught you on the joint and clamped down.

So... Shoot all dogs, stomp on the snakes and whatever you do for God's sake don't talk to any parrots.

A man walks in and sits at the Bar.
he looks around the room and notices a guy sitting at the other end of the Bar with a massive dog sitting on the seat next to him.
He walks over and says "Jees, that's gotta be the biggest Dog I've ever seen" the guy nods in agreement.
He then asks "Does your Dog bite?"
The guy says No, my Dog is the biggest softy.

With that the man Pat's the Dog, the Dog immediately turns and latches onto his arm throwing him to the ground, rolling him around chomping and shaking before finally letting go.

The man finally composes himself trying to stop the bleeding and shouts "You told me your Dog doesn't bite!"

The guy says, "He doesn't and that's not my Dog!".

Has anyone ever had a dog come out chasing you and trying to bite while you are riding down the path ? What would you do to get rid of them ?
Two choices: squirt them with your water bottle, then throw your bottle at them or the better choice is pepper spray, small convenient to carry and effective when sprayed in their eyes.

Back