Update on ebikes for heavy riders

I'm not sure how fast it will be as no one has apparently ridden one (over here). Thanks for the heads up regarding these trikes usually being geared lower as I'm wondering now if it will be so. I don't think that Addmotor's semi-recumbent model is gear limited so I'm hoping that the height of this seat and it's leg/knee hugging style might have been positive factors in them simply leaving it alone.
All of this recent talk of trikes being more suited for old geezers and the disabled has got me thinking of putting something crazy on that front hub anyways that'll just sit there and smoke that fatty...:oops:o_O(y)

As for the UL listing, I agree. Not sure how that works overseas yet it 'sounds' good with halfway decent cells being all that any of us want.

I used to be an engineer for UL, and I've found that having something UL certified tends to mean it's higher quality. The construction is controlled. They can't just switch to cheaper components whenever it's convenient; they have to be tested first.

I wouldn't worry about it being slower. It'll be fast enough, and remember, trikes (with the rear wheels doubled) are dangerous when turned at high speeds. Might be better if it'll only go 15 mph. Set a goal for yourself to use this trike to lose weight, and when you lose enough to ride a bike, that'll be your reward.

There's an older thread on this topic, but these products are changing fast and would like some updated info.

Which bikes (brands, models, types...) are good for heavy riders. I'm 285#.

Will be using it to cruise campgrounds, easy trails and maybe ride to nearby towns.

THANKS!
Phil
Lankeleisi, its load capacity is 150-180kg. And i think the brand ebike is cool. I'm interested in XT750 and MG740. Maybe you can consider them.

This thread's been really helpful. The issue I'm running up against though is that the weight of those 750 watt, 4" fat tire ebikes really limits options when you have to transport bikes for a family of 4. I haven't found a 4 bike carrier that's rated higher than 60 lbs for the 2 bikes closest to the vehicle. That's making me lean towards getting a smaller bike with 2.1 or 2.4" tires rated for 300 lbs, but at 285 lbs, it feels like I'd be pushing my luck. Any suggestions on a lighter ~60 lb bike rated for 350+ lbs or a 4 bike rack that can handle a 70-80 lb bike?

Check out the Electric Bike Company's Model A. 53 lbs with battery with a max weight listed at 420 lbs, seat post rated at 350 lbs.
This thread's been really helpful. The issue I'm running up against though is that the weight of those 750 watt, 4" fat tire ebikes really limits options when you have to transport bikes for a family of 4. I haven't found a 4 bike carrier that's rated higher than 60 lbs for the 2 bikes closest to the vehicle. That's making me lean towards getting a smaller bike with 2.1 or 2.4" tires rated for 300 lbs, but at 285 lbs, it feels like I'd be pushing my luck. Any suggestions on a lighter ~60 lb bike rated for 350+ lbs or a 4 bike rack that can handle a 70-80 lb bike?

I ride a rebranded Himiway Big-dog, with an advertised 400lb load capacity. 750W Peak Motor w 960Wh battery. Lots of hills around where I live and I drop my kids off at school on the bike - combined weight is around 300lbs not including the bike - and it makes it up the hills throttle only if needed. Step through frame but this bike is SOLID - a full 80lb worth of solid in fact. Range is OK considering I do almost no riding on flat ground - longest test was from around 80% to 20% battery giving 56km.

Back