TOYOTA Announces New Solid State Battery

Litehiker

Local time
10:27 PM
Well e-bikers we may be seeing the beginning of better e-bike batteries. TOYOTA, who has been lagging in EV production, announced that it has reached a breakthrough in the production of solid state batteries that are lighter, smaller AND CHARGE IN 10 MINUTES. All major automakers worldwide are trying hard to get to this level of tech advancement in solid state batteries.

Can you imagine smaller, lighter batteries that charge in TEN minutes (or less for our small e-mtb batteries)? Now if frame fabricators would just get on with those Unobtanium frames all would be well in e-bike heaven. OK, maybe PINION bottom bracket transmissions that cost $1,000. instead of $6,000. would be nice too. A boy can dream.

BTW, my e-mtb is a "cargo" bike 2 wheel drive, 2 batteries and dual suspension) for hunting and camping. To keep it charged for weeks long trips I have a BLUETTI AC200 MAX lithium iron phosphate power center and to charge it I have a 220 watt "Off Grid TREK" solar blanket. If we ever see these new solid state bike batteries I may not need all that charging power. (Electrical engineers may respond.)

They did NOT announce any production of new batteries, just a "breakthru" in trying to. This is mainly so that the funding for the research department does not get cut, and help the stock price stay high.

However spiffy the new super-whizzo-3000 batteries are, they will still need to be charged and until they are well into mass production, they will be VERY expensive.

Super cap batteries also have a charge dissipation problem.

I'd be interested to see the source link for this. I wonder how far out it is, for production.

This would be a great way for Toyota to get around the issue of long charge times (compared to gas engine fill-ups) to make EVs more viable. If anyone can do it, Toyota can. It'll be a long time before it trickles down the eBikes, unless Yamaha jumps on board before the Chinese do.

I'd be interested to see the source link for this. I wonder how far out it is, for production.

This would be a great way for Toyota to get around the issue of long charge times (compared to gas engine fill-ups) to make EVs more viable. If anyone can do it, Toyota can. It'll be a long time before it trickles down the eBikes, unless Yamaha jumps on board before the Chinese do.
I fear it may have the same timeline as hydrogen power----always 5 years away.

Seen an article on "Microsoft start" unfortunately couldnt find the link, it is here and now, the toxicity should be far less as well.

These are very large capacitors and this technology has been around for more than 50 years. The advantage is the super fast charging of these solid state devices. Toyota is putting out a lot of press articles to try to convince investors not to dump their stock.

These are not JUST large capacitors; they're SUPERcapacitors. I'm still learning about them, but they don't seem to use a chemical reaction like batteries, but have a much higher charge and discharge rate than conventional capacitors. (and batteries)

I'm sure Toyota will capitalize on it as much as possible, but it's not JUST that. ;-)

It'll be at least 10 years before there is any kind of change in battery tech that will reach ebikes.

They are already out here a company in co is mfg them from backing from ford and bmw. They are being used in a high end motorcycle can’t remember now. But are 4 times denser than li batteries and charge in 10 min.

EV's are already more viable than they need to be. Sure, the media always makes it seem like EVs take too long to charge but my wife and I, as owners of two Model 3's as our daily drivers for over 5 years, I can tell you long charge times do not create a problem, even on road trips a 20 minute charge stop is a long stop, most are 10-15 minutes and the car is charged and ready to go before we have taken a decent break. And we bought the cheapest cars Tesla offered in 2018 and they are still going strong. EVs are more reliable.

At home, it's a similar story, we don't even know how long it takes to charge them. We just plug them in when we get home and they are always charged up and ready to go before we wake up. With 300 miles of range, we don't have to charge when we are out and about.

There are billions of dollars worth of oil and gas interests, auto dealership chains and auto parts suppliers that are trying to convince the naive public that EVs are not quite ready for prime time yet. And they use the media as their mouthpiece. But there have been available better, cheaper and more convenient EVs (relative to new gas cars) for over 5 years already. I do feel sorry for people who have had less than stellar experiences with EVs made by Nissan, Ford, GM and others, that either didn't have the range or the excellent software and charging that all Tesla come with, but just know that not all EVs are created equal, and the price of new Tesla have become very affordable relative to gas cars in the last 6 months. This is brought about by volume efficiencies as they scale production and lower prices. Used Tesla have also come down in price with increasing availability as EV owners trade in for new EV's.

My point is that batteries from 2018 already create an awesome EV experience, I would not pay more for even faster battery charging or longer range, because both metrics are already more than most people need, myself included. We sold our last gas car 5 years ago and are glad we did. Our bank accounts are very happy too. EV's are more convenient than gas cars. We haven't had to do oil and filter changes, or a brake job, in over 5 years either. And we have spent far less time actively charging than we would have spent filling up the gas tanks of a gas car. You just can't believe everything the media tells you.

Amen,it makes me grin every time I see a post on Facebook or some semi intelligent people app where someone posts a picture of a line of cars during a snowstorm, saying something like" what if these were evs?" well they wouldnt die of carbon monoxide poisoning and what would be the chances all those cars had full gas tanks,sheesh,people are not very bright as a whole. Its one reason I cannot have much sympathy with people that get stuck in airports during the holiday seasons( there are even long range weather forecasts available-who checks those) People readily swallow "Madison avenue pablum.

Back