Torque Drive vs ???

Rickisan

Local time
6:20 AM
I have a Pace 350 and like it a lot. But after putting several hundred miles on it I am wishing to have more control of the assist.
I rented a bike once that had no hand controls it simply gave more or less assist based on the amount of effort I put in to pedaling.
My Pace 350 is an "all or nothing" assist based on the PAS level chosen. On PAS level 1 it goes exactly 10mph when pedaling.
To go slower I have to pedal then not pedal. Pedal then not pedal. on and on and on... there should be a better way.

I would like to go as low as 5mph(I am primarily out in the woods on dirt trails).
So two questions here... can I reprogram the PAS levels or do I need to get another bike altogether to go slower?
I wish I knew the nomenclature better in order to competently describe the different types of assist.
take care and thanks

It depends upon your display model. Many of the common ones do have the capacity to set a top speed for a given PAS mode.

I have a Pace 350 and like it a lot. But after putting several hundred miles on it I am wishing to have more control of the assist.
I rented a bike once that had no hand controls it simply gave more or less assist based on the amount of effort I put in to pedaling.
My Pace 350 is an "all or nothing" assist based on the PAS level chosen. On PAS level 1 it goes exactly 10mph when pedaling.
To go slower I have to pedal then not pedal. Pedal then not pedal. on and on and on... there should be a better way.

I would like to go as low as 5mph(I am primarily out in the woods on dirt trails).
So two questions here... can I reprogram the PAS levels or do I need to get another bike altogether to go slower?
I wish I knew the nomenclature better in order to competently describe the different types of assist.
take care and thanks
Check your manual or check with your dealer to see if you can make changes to factory settings.

The alternative is a torque sensing system, usually paired with a mid drive setup. Read the Grin Technologies website about a torque sensing system. For dirt biking, the torque sensing is more popular.

I have the cadence sensing system like you have. I ride with small groups on trails, and they go about 10 mph, while my pas level 2 is about 13 mph. My pas 1 level is about 7 mph, so I use pas 7 and pedal a bit harder to reach 10 mph, or I use pas level 2 and alternate between coasting and pedaling to stay at 10 mph. I have also discovered if I squeeze either brake lever slightly, without engaging the brakes, I can shut off the motor for a bit to reduce my speed instead of stopping pedaling. The brakes have an emergency shutoff when the lever is slightly squeezed

My unit has a Current Limiting setting so I can reduce all the pas levels by whatever amount I want, per the manual…but I have not, as you have to go into a bunch of settings to find it. I may do that as I don’t need to have assist up to 28 mph. Lol. If I do a 20% reduction, my 13 mph assist will drop to about 10.5 mph. I need to dig into it and get it changed. My 7 mph speed would reduce to 5.5 mph. My 28 mph assist would drop to 22.5 mph. I do some road riding, so I do use the 28 mph assist once in a while, and may not want to give that up. Your mileage may differ.

You seem to have an early cadence sensor model. When Aventon went to the Pace 350.2, they added torque sensing. Now, they're on the Pace 500.3 (having discontinued the 350 altogether) and it has torque sensing, tail, brake and turn signals in the seatstays.

When I got my Aventon Level.2, I felt like the 1st level of (torque) assistance was too high; with any effort at all, I was going 15 mph. I wrote to them about it and asked if it was adjustable somehow. They replied no, and they promised they'd forward that feedback to the engineers, so maybe the Pace 500.3 has a lower bottom level of assist.

On the other hand, the next day, I was riding on that same section of road where I couldn't seem to go < 15 mph with assist and turned off the PAS altogether. I found I was going 12-13 mph with minimal pedaling. The bike just rolls very easily; it's got good bearings, efficient tires, I put a good set of pedals on; it has the works.

You're talking about 5 mph. That is a very fast walk or a slow jogging pace. Before you drop a bunch of money on another bike, try it un-powered some time and you may be surprised to find out that your own legs are plenty strong enough to move you at that pace. Then, when you encounter an uphill or stiff headwind, engage PAS1 temporarily.

If you DO decide to get another bike, maybe choose one that compliments your Pace 350 in some way: a fat tire or mountain bike maybe. Or maybe a folder with semi-fat tires, like my Ride1Up Portola. (The Portola doesn't have torque sensing, but the PAS system is fully user-programmable. I set mine for 9 levels of PAS, and PAS1 is around 5-6 mph the way I have it set up)

Smaug
Thanks so much for the detailed reply. I’m learning a lot from you and the other knowledgeable folks present. Liking the 350 bike so much I bought 2 used Aventon 500’s $1000 for both. One an M sized step through the other an L size much better suited to my 6’2” height. I’ve transferred over the custom seatpost and stem. All is going well except one of the new bikes had a aftermarket piece connecting the stem to the handlebars. I am hoping to put the original Aventon back on but need the top bolt and washer from the original Aventon. What is the best way to order this part? Their support link for parts goes to a “Page Not Found” messsge HAHAHA

I do a fair amount of riding with my grandson and now he can keep up easier on the other eBike. Another question…. The motor hub atea is squeaking and squeeling some. Anyone have experience quieting this area?
Thank you

I am hoping to put the original Aventon back on but need the top bolt and washer from the original Aventon. What is the best way to order this part? Their support link for parts goes to a “Page Not Found” messsge HAHAHA
This?

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Back