PAS Level 4 and 5

leehop71

Local time
3:49 AM
Let me preface this by saying that, in order to reach as many as possible, I am posting this in a few forums!

I know I’m not the only one here in several forums and, without failure, when I do post a question in several forums there’s always some yahoo complaining about it.

So, in advance, get over it, and tough toenails!

I have 7 gears and 5 PAS levels. PAS Level 1 - 16 mph, Level 2 - 19 mph, Level 3 - 22 mph, Level 4 - 25 mph, Level 5 - 28 mph.

I’ve used Levels 1 - 3. Level 1 I need to use Gear 6 to keep up, Levels 2 and 3 I need to use Gear 7.

Then comes the dilemma. I can’t keep up my pedaling in Gear 7 with PAS 4 and 5.

Any solutions or advice?

Thanks in advance.

Sometimes changing from 5 to 9 PAS it helps slow things down in each PAS level...make sense?

Can you set yur controller to 9 PAS ?

Also, have you looked into either a bigger front chainring and/or different sizes on the rear gear cluster?

Sometimes changing from 5 to 9 PAS it helps slow things down in each PAS level...make sense?

Can you set yur controller to 9 PAS ?

Also, have you looked into either a bigger front chainring and/or different sizes on the rear gear cluster?
I haven’t been riding E-bikes for a year yet and I’m am NOT a nuts and bolts kind of guy, so I have no clue what you’re saying! Sorry.

I haven’t been riding E-bikes for a year yet and I’m am NOT a nuts and bolts kind of guy, so I have no clue what you’re saying! Sorry.
ok, lets start here..wut brand ebike do ya have?

Lectric?
So we'll need to see if the controller on your ebike will allow you to alter/amend the settings such as the PAS setting from
5 PAS on up to 9 PAS so you'll then have a few more PAS that will hopefully get you to what you'd like in your gears and your human power to pedal and keep up..make sense?

Unless you can get a bigger front sprocket/chainring where yur cranks and pedals are connected to... I had to put a 52 tooth chainring
on so i could pedal at 35MPH lol

ok, lets start here..wut brand ebike do ya have?

Lectric?
So we'll need to see if the controller on your ebike will allow you to alter/amend the settings such as the PAS setting from
5 PAS on up to 9 PAS so you'll then have a few more PAS that will hopefully get you to what you'd like in your gears and your human power to pedal and keep up..make sense?

Unless you can get a bigger front sprocket/chainring where yur cranks and pedals are connected to... I had to put a 52 tooth chainring
on so i could pedal at 35MPH lol
Let me first thank you HP for taking the time to try and help.

It’s a Denago City 1 model that I had them add fenders to because of our SW Florida rainy season!

I bought this at a local bike shop.

I would have to take it back to them to do any tweaking to it, because if I start a DIY on it, it will end up in a disaster!

Acoustic guitars I KNOW about bikes, cars, and engines, nada!

Ok, i just looked through the manual to your ebike and it says it only goes up to 5 PAS ..
So unless ya get another controller .. your other option would be to decide wether you want to have the front chainring
upgraded to a bigger one or get a new rear gear cluster with the right gears for your riding that you like to do.

If it were me, and it's not....i'd go for the bigger front chainring (52 tooth) Just a suggestion to throw out there to
the shop that'll be doing the work ;)

I hope ya get it solved and when ya do, please come back and let us know which route you took to
solve it :)

Ok, i just looked through the manual to your ebike and it says it only goes up to 5 PAS ..
So unless ya get another controller .. your other option would be to decide wether you want to have the front chainring
upgraded to a bigger one or get a new rear gear cluster with the right gears for your riding that you like to do.

If it were me, and it's not....i'd go for the bigger front chainring (52 tooth) Just a suggestion to throw out there to
the shop that'll be doing the work ;)

I hope ya get it solved and when ya do, please come back and let us know which route you took to
solve it :)
So I tell the shop I want a 52 tooth front chainring?

Ballpark on cost?

So I tell the shop I want a 52 tooth front chainring?

Ballpark on cost?
Depends on if they can fit the chainring onto your crank arm setup or not...
if not then it'll be a higher cost for the crank arms that will fit your bike and the chainring.

Hopefully the shop will have what you need and not have to order anything.

to bad ya don't live near me so we could just switch over to a bigger chainring to see if that is what you'll need really...

PAS1 = 16 mph? That's an interesting programming decision by Denago! They did a horrible job of matching the PAS levels to the gear levels.

One thing you might do that would cost nothing is to reprogram your controller to tell it you have 28" wheels. That will cut your top speed somewhat, but it should match the gears of your bike better. The manual for the display says how to do that here, on pg. 12:

Another thing you might do is write to Denago and ask if there is a way to go into a special menu to reprogram the controller so that the PAS levels correspond with the gear levels better.

Now that I think of it, I wonder if they left it programmed for some default setting, rather than setting it up for 700c wheels you almost certainly have. For example, if they rescued a bunch of controllers from some 20" wheel eBike project, then forgot to re-program them before putting them on City 1s...

PAS or not, this is all about the gearing. As someone suggested, if a local shop can fit a different set of gears, that can improve the situation somewhat.

Regardless of PAS, in gear 7, I can only pedal at about 14mph and under. Any faster speed is ghost pedalling. It's something I will attempt to address at some point.

But at the end of the day, my wife doesn't like speeds above that anyway, so it's fairly moot for us.

Let me preface this by saying that, in order to reach as many as possible, I am posting this in a few forums!

I know I’m not the only one here in several forums and, without failure, when I do post a question in several forums there’s always some yahoo complaining about it.

So, in advance, get over it, and tough toenails!

I have 7 gears and 5 PAS levels. PAS Level 1 - 16 mph, Level 2 - 19 mph, Level 3 - 22 mph, Level 4 - 25 mph, Level 5 - 28 mph.

I’ve used Levels 1 - 3. Level 1 I need to use Gear 6 to keep up, Levels 2 and 3 I need to use Gear 7.
Then comes the dilemma. I can’t keep up my pedaling in Gear 7 with PAS 4 and 5.

Any solutions or advice?

Thanks in advance.
Those are really high pas settings. I would go back to dealer and find out from them if your wheel size is set correctly.
I wonder if the wheel size setting is correct for your bike wheel size.

My setup has pas level 1 at 6 mph, level 2 at 13 mph, level 4 at 20 mph, and level 5 at 28 mph. I don’t have your brand bike. I have 7 gears, but a triple chainring up front, so I have 21 gears, but I only use the middle ring. My 7 gears match up nicely with my pas levels.

Back