Throttle for a Dahon GLO?

penndan

Local time
7:22 AM
Got a Dahon GLO which comes with pedal assist only. Anybody know if a throttle can be added?

Look at the controller and see if it offers a connection for a throttle. Then check thru the display and see if there is any mention of a throttle, soft-start, that sort of thing.

If you are in the EU, good odds there is no throttle capability. Changing controllers is fairly cheap and easy, though. Might need a new display also, due to limited compatibility.

Thanks, Elhegpah. No wonder you live in Paradise. You know everything.
I pulled the controller out and discovered an unused three wire connector. Has to be for a throttle.
Got one coming from Amazon.

Got a thumb throttle with a matching wire plug to the Dahon, hooked it up, and no joy! What am I missing? Are there some controller codes I need to change? And where to find info on the controller? I've looked.

Did you check the display as suggested, and are you in the EU, as already asked?

Existing controller should have a label with volts and amps, also wires to the motor which can be counted, and connector types which can be visually identified. This is the info you need.

No, I'm not in EU, I.m in Minneapolis.
Here's a photo of the controller label. And it does say throttle.
IMG_1767.jpeg

And here's the display and it says nothing about a throttle
IMG_1769.jpeg

Have you stepped thoroughly and carefully thru the likely multiple menu options for any throttle settings? Usually there are some soft-start etc. options.

Progress of a sort!
Finally found a manual on line and looked into the controller codes. I poked around in the PAS codes but I could not see any effect because the motor would not turn no matter what I changed.

Then I noticed a statement in the manual about a Boost mode by holding the minus button for two seconds. The motor started and almost scooted the dike away from me. Hurrah! The motor works!!

So now, what? Makes me think that the controller is compromised some how. So I'm thinking that a new controller is needed. Anybody have an idea on how to find one?

Does the motor respond to throttle input? Make sure to move throttle all the way OFF, then back on. On my bike, if I turn on with throttle engaged, it will not respond unitl I do this.

On new controller, CAREFULLY examine all connector types and wires. 3 phase, 5 Halls, maybe a speedo or temp probe. Ebrake levers, throttle, pedelec, red and black to battery. Match voltage and amps. Get the display with the controller. Browse away.

I'm wander if it's a programming code problem. It Needs programmed. Also maybe the code that needs set, says nothing about throttle, but needs set. Also your controller says throttle adjustment voltage of 1.2v-4.4volts, is the throttle you ordered a 0-5volt throttle input.

1 other thing I thought about, does your controller have connectors for brake switches/hand levers? If it does & they are not hooked up, your throttle wont work I believe. Also if it has brake switches/lever switches, try holding both levers in while hitting your throttle.

If it dont have levers/brake switches, but have the connectors on your controller, make 2 jumper wires & jump both brake switches. Basically a loop of wire to connect them. Then try your throttle.

There should be 2 2wire connectors on the controller, for the brake levers. I looked at the speed controller you got for sale. I think they are black & white wire or white & blue.

Also if you got lever/brake switches, try unplugging them & trying the throttle. Some controllers use normally open brake lever switches & some controllers use normally closed switches. I'm not sure what type if any is used on your bike.

Back