the downside of ebikes

Yes, but the battery is a little heavy to carry with the e-bike.the best way is the battery is light and with a long range, for example: 60 km, i think it is best for many commuters. :)

On a multi day trip, you should take an extra battery and charger. If you were off roading with a gas powered vehicle, you would take a jug of gas with you, no?? These arguments are pretty moot and easily overcome.
We sell many electric bike and scooter, many our customers would like the e-bike can be long range, so they need to charge it so frequently.:LOL:

the situation is a bit more complicated than that. The battery/vehicle weight ratio is much higher for ebikes, and the cost of the battery is quite high. For me it means 600+ euros, to be required only in case of long trip, but on that case to be recharged too every single night.

I would have liked to buy locally but they wanted three times as much for a bike than what I bought a better bike for online. Service? For what I paid vs what the LBS wanted I can replace my bike three times instead of having them service it. I can do most of my own servicing anyway. Most of the ebikes are made in China including the ones at the LBS. Until the LBS's can sell ebikes for somewhere near what you can buy online for, I'll recommend buying online. If the LBS could have one of the $1500 online bikes and just mark it up $500 that would be ok for most people. I'd pay a premium to buy locally too. I'm just not willing to pay three times as much for a lesser bike.

6) difficult and expensive to repair in case of failure, in particular much more complicated DIY

Can you think of any others?

Those that have propriety batteries and mid-drive motor mounts are currently unrepairable once the manufacturer drops support for them, which is usually as soon as its replaced with another model.

My 2017 Raleigh Retroglide iE is a prime example of this.

It's quite alarming how many people are coming in with this high and mighty "your points are moot because I have different priorities" attitude.

People's perceived cons are based on their own experience. Who are you to come in and claim their experience is "moot" just be because you have a different perception of priority for your ride.

I've never seen a more defensive group of people in my life lol. 10 people will all weight their pros and cons by priorities, and they will all be different. It's not a point of "my priorities are different so your point is invalid".

It's about expressing ones perception of pros cons so we can all gather sufficient information to make a purchase.

A certain con might be a non issue to you personally, but you don't need to belittle someone's experience or straight up pretend the the issue is irrelevant because it's not as high on your list.

The same mentality exists when trying to talk about battery fires. Coming in and immediately yelling "yea but cars catch on fire too so it's a moot point" over and over again is not a valid argument, it's just childish deflection. We are aware that gasoline is combustible. It's not a moot point as we aren't talking about what objects have the highest chance of catch fire like it's a competition, and the pros and cons here are obviously an extension of individual experience which is always valid.

It's quite alarming how many people are coming in with this high and mighty "your points are moot because I have different priorities" attitude.

People's perceived cons are based on their own experience. Who are you to come in and claim their experience is "moot" just be because you have a different perception of priority for your ride.

I've never seen a more defensive group of people in my life lol. 10 people will all weight their pros and cons by priorities, and they will all be different. It's not a point of "my priorities are different so your point is invalid".

It's about expressing ones perception of pros cons so we can all gather sufficient information to make a purchase.

A certain con might be a non issue to you personally, but you don't need to belittle someone's experience or straight up pretend the the issue is irrelevant because it's not as high on your list.

It's not a trait of this group specifically, but in general in most internet public forums, or even in our current society.
Most people want their questions answered right away without giving details of their specific needs or parameters of their expectations.
Most people answer questions without knowing the specifics of the person asking the question.
Most of us just want instant gratification of getting to the answer without learning the importance or details of why.
Most people make claims without asking questions and just straight out assume everything at face value without knowing the details nor thinking critically about evidence.
Once dispute occurs, people will start personal assumptions, even personal attacks with zero knowledge of the actual person they are disputing with and that have zero contribution to discussion.
The same mentality exists when trying to talk about battery fires. Coming in and immediately yelling "yea but cars catch on fire too so it's a moot point" over and over again is not a valid argument, it's just childish deflection. We are aware that gasoline is combustible. It's not a moot point as we aren't talking about what objects have the highest chance of catch fire like it's a competition, and the pros and cons here are obviously an extension of individual experience which is always valid.

The reason behind the comparison of battery combusting vs gasoline combusting as both are used as energy source that propel the vehicle, both can be combustible, but only gasoline is required to combust in order to operate the engine.
Because gasoline has been used as fuel for decades, operators are used to the concept of how to store & carry gasoline on their vehicles.
If batteries have been in use for vehicles as many years as gasoline, maybe less frequent combustion or ignition of battery would occur because of better practice over time (additional experience)?
Therefore, the comparison is not a moot point, but valid.
Education & knowledge is key to solve most problems in our lives, including battery fire in EV problem.

I am used to always trying to see the glass half full. So, I am happy, as someone who speaks English as a second language, to have added a new term to my limited vocabulary thanks to this conversation: moot! :)

A term that for some reason not even DeepL knows how to translate into Italian... I had to look elsewhere on the Internet to find out!

I must have missed the " high and mighty " comments. Seems to me that most comments were respectful and expressed that their comments were based on personal preference. Was there a post that specifically led you to your conclusions?

Back