Some Lectric XP Step-Thru 3.0 questions before I purchase it.

rleiman

Local time
9:01 AM
Greeting everyone,

I'm thinking about purchasing the Lectric XP Step-Thru 3.0 e-bike and have a few questions. I'm hoping some people on the forum who have purchased this bike can answer some of these questions.

My first set of questions are about the weight of the bike. Can I remove the battery to reduce the weight enough so I can actually lift it up and down some stairs to take it outside and back inside? Can the front wheel also be easily removed to further reduce the weight of the bike? If so how much would the bike weigh with the battery and front wheel removed?

My second set of questions are about the display screen. Can the display screen be removed and put back on the bike so it won't be damaged when I need to load it into my SUV? Can the bike be operated without the screen?

Thanks in advance.

Truly,
Emad

Greeting everyone,

I'm thinking about purchasing the Lectric XP Step-Thru 3.0 e-bike and have a few questions. I'm hoping some people on the forum who have purchased this bike can answer some of these questions.

My first set of questions are about the weight of the bike. Can I remove the battery to reduce the weight enough so I can actually lift it up and down some stairs to take it outside and back inside? Can the front wheel also be easily removed to further reduce the weight of the bike? If so how much would the bike weigh with the battery and front wheel removed?
Yes, you can remove the battery, but it's not as easy as on other bikes. The frame has to be folded open, then the battery unlocked and slid out. It sounds simple, but the whole time you're doing this, you're trying not to let it pinch you and break your fingers or get chain grease all over yourself. Removing the battery will probably save 8 lbs or so.

The wheel can be removed, but you will likely bump the brake disc at some point and it will end up squeaking from then on. I wouldn't recommend it.

Furthermore, the bike is too heavy to be carried up and down stairs regularly. If I had one and was going to take it up and down stairs, I would keep it all together, put it in Walk Mode and just roll it up the stairs that way. (rear wheel will be powered at a walking pace) Remember that it's a 65 lb. bike; the folding frame actually makes it HEAVIER. The folding is nice to make it compact, for loading in the back of an SUV or hatchback, or storing in a tight space in the garage, not to make it actually light enough to carry or go up stairs.

If you're going to need to bring it up and down stairs, I'd look for a lighter bike, if I were you.

FWIW - I have the Lectric XP Lite, which weighs 20 lbs. less and is smaller. That one is more reasonable to carry, but of course lacks the multiple gears and 28 mph top speed of the XP 3.0.

My second set of questions are about the display screen. Can the display screen be removed and put back on the bike so it won't be damaged when I need to load it into my SUV?
Yes, but it's not designed to do that often. It plugs into the bike's wiring. It would be more practical to loosen the clamp screw and rotate it down out of the way.

In my experience, the display screen is the least of your worries when loading it into an SUV. What a lot of people do is buy a big Rubbermaid (or similar) tote, fold the bike, load it in the tote, then load the tote into your SUV or truck. It'll slide right in, won't be getting snagged on stuff or getting things greasy or dirty.

Can the bike be operated without the screen?
No.

Thanks in advance.
You're welcome! Enjoy your stay.

Yes, you can remove the battery, but it's not as easy as on other bikes. The frame has to be folded open, then the battery unlocked and slid out. It sounds simple, but the whole time you're doing this, you're trying not to let it pinch you and break your fingers or get chain grease all over yourself. Removing the battery will probably save 8 lbs or so.

The wheel can be removed, but you will likely bump the brake disc at some point and it will end up squeaking from then on. I wouldn't recommend it.

Furthermore, the bike is too heavy to be carried up and down stairs regularly. If I had one and was going to take it up and down stairs, I would keep it all together, put it in Walk Mode and just roll it up the stairs that way. (rear wheel will be powered at a walking pace) Remember that it's a 65 lb. bike; the folding frame actually makes it HEAVIER. The folding is nice to make it compact, for loading in the back of an SUV or hatchback, or storing in a tight space in the garage, not to make it actually light enough to carry or go up stairs.

If you're going to need to bring it up and down stairs, I'd look for a lighter bike, if I were you.

FWIW - I have the Lectric XP Lite, which weighs 20 lbs. less and is smaller. That one is more reasonable to carry, but of course lacks the multiple gears and 28 mph top speed of the XP 3.0.

Yes, but it's not designed to do that often. It plugs into the bike's wiring. It would be more practical to loosen the clamp screw and rotate it down out of the way.

In my experience, the display screen is the least of your worries when loading it into an SUV. What a lot of people do is buy a big Rubbermaid (or similar) tote, fold the bike, load it in the tote, then load the tote into your SUV or truck. It'll slide right in, won't be getting snagged on stuff or getting things greasy or dirty.

No.

You're welcome! Enjoy your stay.
Thanks so much for the fast detailed reply! That was very helpful! Do you know of a decent e-bike with similar specs and price point to the XP 3.0 but lighter and a foldable one?

Thanks so much for the fast detailed reply! That was very helpful! Do you know of a decent e-bike with similar specs and price point to the XP 3.0 but lighter and a foldable one?
Nope. You'll have to give up on the high specs and get the XP Lite (it's in a class of its own) or go to a solid bike and look for something lighter.

I think a lot of people don't realize how heavy 65 lbs. is, and when they do, they're thinking of an easy to carry package like a barbell weight. When it's 65 lbs. AND unwieldy, it's hard to handle, even when one is strong enough.

What a lot of people do is get the heavier, high-spec bike (folding or not) and put a hitch-mounted rack on their car instead of loading it inside.

Know what would be great? If we had another member from NE MA who could meet up with you and let you try things out.

Welcome......good response/info from Smaug. I have the XP 2.0.....the weight can be a factor for some.......I fold my bike and can easily lift it into the bed of my truck......I am a big guy...for me.....no problem. It would be heavy for many. As for the battery......I rarely remove it but when I have it was not difficult. The hardest part for me was getting the key back in......the key hole is on the bottom which is terrible.....you can't see what your're doing.....really a poor design. Good luck......have fun.

Thanks for all the replies. I currently have a Zizzo folding bike that's about 27 pounds and I'm able to lift it up into the SUV. If I can find a decent low priced e-bike that maybe goes up to 20 miles and hour and has a decent long lasting removable battery that is similar in weight maybe 30 pounds that would probably be best for me because I'm about 4 feet 11 inches in height. Do you recommend any in particular?

Nope. You'll have to give up on the high specs and get the XP Lite (it's in a class of its own) or go to a solid bike and look for something lighter.

I think a lot of people don't realize how heavy 65 lbs. is, and when they do, they're thinking of an easy to carry package like a barbell weight. When it's 65 lbs. AND unwieldy, it's hard to handle, even when one is strong enough.

What a lot of people do is get the heavier, high-spec bike (folding or not) and put a hitch-mounted rack on their car instead of loading it inside.
My battery is like 34 pounds by itself :ROFLMAO:

My wife purchased the Lectric XP 3 which arrived at about 75 pounds—close to 80 pounds with added accessories. After 98 miles, “it’s too heavy“, It will be sold. She subsequently bought the Lectric XP Lite which weighs 46 pounds—loves it—problem solved.

A couple of years ago I purchased a Trailmate 24 Stretch adult trike—eight feet long weighing 85 pounds. Enjoyed it but unable to peddle up Temecula hills. After a complex “conversion”—48V 1500W front hub system with a strong battery it weighs over 95 pounds. It is transported via truck—infrequently!!

Thanks for all the replies. I currently have a Zizzo folding bike that's about 27 pounds and I'm able to lift it up into the SUV. If I can find a decent low priced e-bike that maybe goes up to 20 miles and hour and has a decent long lasting removable battery that is similar in weight maybe 30 pounds that would probably be best for me because I'm about 4 feet 11 inches in height. Do you recommend any in particular?
You want a scooter, perhaps one with a seat. For example only, not a recommendation:

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Back