ready made or convert your own?

I really appreciate that heads up on the batteries, above HP. Now I just have to figure out what they actually are, how to make one work on my new trike (for a spare) and thank God that I don't want to delve much further than that as both you and KR have offered. ;)

So, several people have suggested specific ebikes for an older, out of shape person with a major hill climb, to get to work, and not one, NOT FREAKING ONE, has asked you HOW MUCH YOU WEIGH? ??????????? What the actual EF?????

Incompetent clods.

Some idea of how long this hill is, RISE over RUN. how high in how much distance. Load which needs to be accelerated up that hill determines available methods to get it done.

And NO, NOT a mid-drive, just a need for ONE GEAR that does the job. No need for the hassle, expense, and maintenance issues of a mid-drive.
MANY folks who HEAR such things get PAID for TELLING others the same thing.

So, several people have suggested specific ebikes for an older, out of shape person with a major hill climb, to get to work, and not one, NOT FREAKING ONE, has asked you HOW MUCH YOU WEIGH? ??????????? What the actual EF?????

Incompetent clods.

Some idea of how long this hill is, RISE over RUN. how high in how much distance. Load which needs to be accelerated up that hill determines available methods to get it done.

And NO, NOT a mid-drive, just a need for ONE GEAR that does the job. No need for the hassle, expense, and maintenance issues of a mid-drive.

He said " I'm 57, unfit and overweight and my workplace is about 1.4 miles max but here's the rub... most of it is up a massive hill that is very steep at the beginning and just goes on forever." Perhaps you underestimate the intelligent of others to draw reasonable conclusions about the requirements from that information.

Incompetent clods.

Wow! thats rather harsh, anyway how about a lower power middrive that doesn't have the grunt to destroy cassettes and distort chainstays, after all they are supposed to be assisted bicycles rather than mopeds or electric motorcycles?

What if he weighs 300 pounds? Or more? 250 to 280, lo-power mid drive and bicycle gear train ain't gonna cut it reliably. Also, with his feet problems, not likely he can contribute any significant amount of pedal power. A recumbent is a possibility, but would need to test one for feasibility.

Remember, this is to get to WORK, not a pleasant country excursion. Reliability is important. Getting stranded could apparently lead to serious negative consequences, moreso than running out of granola bars at lunchtime.

Very likely that throttle might be required instead of pedelec. Sounds like he may not be able to activate a torque sensor, at least for the whole ride. Cadence? Unknown.

He is going to need TORQUE, a LOT of it, and if unusually heavy, which, 57, unfit, overweight, can barely walk, large load being present is a high probability. Standard solutions very likely to be sub-optimal, or, just not work.

Specs on the hill and specs on the load, find an ebike calculator, plug some numbers. It may not be feasible.

If he has room to go the other direction and get up a head of steam, will make a difference. Smooth road, dirt, gravel?

Oh, and as for estimating others intelligence, he stated he could not STAND for that long, much less attempt to walk up the hill, and somebody suggests that he WALK up the hill. FFS, you identify that for me.

Dual Low speed DD motors in 24" to 20" wheels would be a starting point, don't need much battery, finding comfortable frame and seat will not be simple.

@Peapod - I just got myself an Engwe Engine Pro which is 1000w. Coming from a 250w conversion, it’s certainly a lot more capable on long steep hills (as one would expect) and regeneratively charges on the downhill which might will get you a few more days use between charging given the use case.

The are numerous 1:8 climbs where I live, me plus bike is about 110kg and it maintains about 9mph on the steep bits, 10 if I put some effort in.

The power needed can be estimated using:

Power Required (W) = Body + Bike Weight (kg) x 9.8 x Elevation Gain (metres) / Target Time (seconds)
+10% to allow for Rolling Resistance and Wind Resistance
(Source: https://www.broleur.com/hill-climb-calculator/)

The above comes out at 750W for 1:8 for me at 10mph, the fat bikes have more rolling resistance but are significantly more comfortable as a result of the larger and softer contact patch of the tyres.

Hope that helps.

What if he weighs 300 pounds? Or more? 250 to 280, lo-power mid drive and bicycle gear train ain't gonna cut it reliably. Also, with his feet problems, not likely he can contribute any significant amount of pedal power. A recumbent is a possibility, but would need to test one for feasibility.

Remember, this is to get to WORK, not a pleasant country excursion. Reliability is important. Getting stranded could apparently lead to serious negative consequences, moreso than running out of granola bars at lunchtime.

Very likely that throttle might be required instead of pedelec. Sounds like he may not be able to activate a torque sensor, at least for the whole ride. Cadence? Unknown.

He is going to need TORQUE, a LOT of it, and if unusually heavy, which, 57, unfit, overweight, can barely walk, large load being present is a high probability. Standard solutions very likely to be sub-optimal, or, just not work.

Specs on the hill and specs on the load, find an ebike calculator, plug some numbers. It may not be feasible.

If he has room to go the other direction and get up a head of steam, will make a difference. Smooth road, dirt, gravel?

Oh, and as for estimating others intelligence, he stated he could not STAND for that long, much less attempt to walk up the hill, and somebody suggests that he WALK up the hill. FFS, you identify that for me.

Dual Low speed DD motors in 24" to 20" wheels would be a starting point, don't need much battery, finding comfortable frame and seat will not be simple.
Thankfully most of the internets brashest loudmouths are normal people in real life. For those who have to deal with you IRL, I hope that is the case with you. Tho it’s starting to feel like people are slowly transforming into their Internet personalities in real life more and more - and it’s making interacting with people a real crapshoot.

Will you please chill out and recognize that your Internet personality is every bit as disruptive as if you acted like that in real life. You’re not excused from the general requirement of a little touch of social grace just because people aren’t in the room with you.

Just be nice and normal. Please. Don’t make an e-bike board into an insufferable place to be, man. Seriously. That sucks

Gonna take a minute to explain life to you, sonny.

Lotsa dumbasses in the world. Lots of people will tell you what you want to hear, just so you think well of them. They will NOT tell you what you NEED to hear, because they truly do not give a crap whether you live or die, just that they can feel good about themselves.

To be honest, I don't either. I also do not care whether or not you like or enjoy what I have to day. What I DO care about, is whether or not you have accurate, truthful information on which to proceed.

The OP is a man who can not STAND for any significant period of time. Someone told him to just WALK up the hill. b**ch AT THAT PERSON. OPEN your MOUTH to the one who gave him BAD ADVICE. Complain about what I accurately stated, you can shove it.

Climbing any significant hill, the weight carried is a major factor. Ignore that, you will end with broken hardware. For someone in the OP's condition, needing to get up that hill, with broken hardware, a dirt nap is a reasonable possibility. You do not give a crap, yet you will call me harsh or mean. Bleep off with that BS.

I have been just like this, IRL, since BEFORE the internet existed. Those people who value accurate, truthful information greatly appreciate what I can do. Those who just want to feel good about whatever dumbass idea they happen to have at the moment tend to be less happy to have me around.

Also, that post was not at all harsh or unusual. IMO, I was being exceedingly polite. I have wondered if it is worth the effort. It would seem not.

You don't like the WAY I said what I said, but have no useful input to offer, no assistance to the OP, no specific reference to anything inaccurate or incorrect I said, you just want to kvetch, whine, moan, and complain. Got it. Have a nice day.

Anyone who knows what they are doing STILL knows that in order to recommend good hardware to do the job for the OP, we need to know how much he weighs. That is not mean, that is not shaming, that is simple reality. Sorry (not really) if this offends you.

Hello, I'm giving up motorcycling to work and would like to use an E-bike to, A; get fitter and lose some weight and B; save money on running a motorbike.
I loved cycling as a kid and had a ten speed racer that I converted from a five speed myself.

I have no idea about the power of these things and cannot believe the restrictions and this is why.... I'm 57, unfit and overweight and my workplace is about 1.4 miles max but here's the rub... most of it is up a massive hill that is very steep at the beginning and just goes on forever.

I have read articles online that say a 250w rated bike will not cut the mustard for someone like me. The thing is, I have chronic issues with my feet that means I cannot stand for any length of time let alone walk up that damn hill if I can't propel myself up it on the worst bits without some serious help. In essence I can't afford (physically) for the bike to not be able to get me up there under its own steam, at least to start with.

Now I've bored you all to death, the main questions are:

A: should I convert my mountain bike? if so, what power/type of kit should I buy? (I'd prefer this option as the bike is barely used from new).

B: should I just buy a second hand E-bike that remains within the law for road use?

C: should I buy a ready converted bike with a 'more powerful' motor?

I'm a bit stumped really as I have no idea what will do what..... I really don't care if a more powerful unit is required as I'm definitely not going to be using it to tear arse around like my kids and I really can't see myself being pulled by Mr. Plod commuting to work....

Any help/ideas would be appreciated please otherwise I'll just keep the motorbike and die younger :ROFLMAO:
Do yourself a favor and buy a used Torker Tri-Star or a Schwinn Meridian Trike. Add a 1000 watt front hub motor with a 48 volt 20 amp
battery. I've built a couple and have nothing but good to say. (Once you get used to the three wheel geometry).
A big plus is cost. A 1000 watt kit costs around $280. An off the shelf battery is $289. A used trike can be had for as low as $150 in my case.
Try and get a trike with 3 speed rear hub. The torque in the low gears is astounding. A real stump puller. The motor kits are not restricted like
store bought E-bikes are. You have more choices with a "Home Build". And it's a fun project with tons of You Tube videos to help.

Attachments

• Torker.jpg
    Torker.jpg
    404.8 KB · Views: 53
ElHegpa, what ecellington was referring to was that you do not need to be a jerk to be honest and helpful. No need to be so aggressive and hurtful just to steer someone in the right direction.

Have you ever heard the song Tenderness by Paul Simon? Part of the refrain goes: "Just give me some tenderness beneath your honesty." That's the general idea.

For example, look at the part I've quoted. Here's some feedback on how you could accomplish your mission without being so rude:
Gonna take a minute to explain life to you, sonny.
Skip this, it's condescending, rude, and unnecessary.

The OP is a man who can not STAND for any significant period of time. Someone told him to just WALK up the hill. b**ch AT THAT PERSON. OPEN your MOUTH to the one who gave him BAD ADVICE. Complain about what I accurately stated, you can shove it.
How about simplifying it and removing all the shouty caps and insults to something like:
"The OP cannot stand for any significant period of time, so it is not reasonable to suggest he walk up the hill."

The rest just shows that you have no class at all, and at that point, no one is listening to you, no matter how truthful your content. You're written off as a jerk, added to peoples' Ignore list and that undermines your whole mission.

So this complaint comes directly from the clueless dumbass who made the suggestion that the OP -WALK- up the hill.

If it is so clearly "not reasonable" to make the suggestion, then why the BLEEP did YOU make it? Too much class?

OBVIOUSLY, it was NOT CLEAR. OBVIOUSLY, this simple FACT needed to be EMPHASIZED.

There are very good odds that if the OP attempted to follow your idiotic suggestion, he would be DEAD. I would call that an EXTREMELY NEGATIVE outcome. I would recommend some STRENUOUS EFFORT be made to prevent that. If that causes others to get their panties in a wad, too freakin bad.

The way YOU defne "class" is something I want no part of.

Go find someone to pull backwards on your shoulders until you hear the pop.

This ignorant suggestion shows that YOU, personally, do not THINK.

Go kvetch at someone else, I DGAF about your opinion.

So this complaint comes directly from the clueless dumbass who made the suggestion that the OP -WALK- up the hill.

If it is so clearly "not reasonable" to make the suggestion, then why the BLEEP did YOU make it? Too much class?

OBVIOUSLY, it was NOT CLEAR. OBVIOUSLY, this simple FACT needed to be EMPHASIZED.

There are very good odds that if the OP attempted to follow your idiotic suggestion, he would be DEAD. I would call that an EXTREMELY NEGATIVE outcome. I would recommend some STRENUOUS EFFORT be made to prevent that. If that causes others to get their panties in a wad, too freakin bad.

The way YOU defne "class" is something I want no part of.

Go find someone to pull backwards on your shoulders until you hear the pop.

This ignorant suggestion shows that YOU, personally, do not THINK.

Go kvetch at someone else, I DGAF about your opinion.
Do I need to put you back on the leash?

I would like somebody to answer this question. Preferably not the idiot who advised a user who had clearly spun the axle, on his front fork, that his damaged vehicle was perfectly safe, and urged him to put it back out on the road.

Not one single person said a damn thing about a clearly disabled user who can barely stand for a few minutes being advised to walk a quarter mile up a steep hill. Not one.

I am told I am the one with the problem??? GTFO

I would like somebody to answer this question. Preferably not the idiot who advised a user who had clearly spun the axle, on his front fork, that his damaged vehicle was perfectly safe, and urged him to put it back out on the road.

Not one single person said a damn thing about a clearly disabled user who can barely stand for a few minutes being advised to walk a quarter mile up a steep hill. Not one.

Easy Greasy.

Answer your msgs

Answer my question.
Answer your msgs.
You do come off a bit harsh from time to time so stop it and be a bit nice..think about what your words do to some of these people....use your brain mate, I know you're smart.

Answer your msgs, i have a proposition for you if we can get it approved.

I've found that standing is sometimes harder than walking, when it comes to joint pain.
(see how I did that without being rude?)

You're now on my Ignore list so don't bother responding to me any more.

Back