ready made or convert your own?

Peapod

Local time
3:57 PM
Hello, I'm giving up motorcycling to work and would like to use an E-bike to, A; get fitter and lose some weight and B; save money on running a motorbike.
I loved cycling as a kid and had a ten speed racer that I converted from a five speed myself.

I have no idea about the power of these things and cannot believe the restrictions and this is why.... I'm 57, unfit and overweight and my workplace is about 1.4 miles max but here's the rub... most of it is up a massive hill that is very steep at the beginning and just goes on forever.

I have read articles online that say a 250w rated bike will not cut the mustard for someone like me. The thing is, I have chronic issues with my feet that means I cannot stand for any length of time let alone walk up that damn hill if I can't propel myself up it on the worst bits without some serious help. In essence I can't afford (physically) for the bike to not be able to get me up there under its own steam, at least to start with.

Now I've bored you all to death, the main questions are:

A: should I convert my mountain bike? if so, what power/type of kit should I buy? (I'd prefer this option as the bike is barely used from new).

B: should I just buy a second hand E-bike that remains within the law for road use?

C: should I buy a ready converted bike with a 'more powerful' motor?

I'm a bit stumped really as I have no idea what will do what..... I really don't care if a more powerful unit is required as I'm definitely not going to be using it to tear arse around like my kids and I really can't see myself being pulled by Mr. Plod commuting to work....

Any help/ideas would be appreciated please otherwise I'll just keep the motorbike and die younger :ROFLMAO:

I would just order a bafang bbs02b kit and convert my mtn bike. You won`t regret it for a m/c replacement. I came off of 60 yrs. and 41 different m/c to ebikes. Bought the first one a aventon pace 500. Really good bike but never scratched my itch. After building 8 different kit bike configurations I couldn` ever be content with a factory build. Caution this hobby is addicting.

Depending on your budget, some conversions may just cost more than the effort is worth and better off get a complete, capable ebike and save yourself the time & frustration of trial & error.
For 1.4 mile, one-way commute, likely you can find something capable under $900 that is shipped to your door and allow you to get to work & back.

I’m with “A” here. Unless you want to make a hobby of it, buy something new.

1.4 miles…you might consider WALKING it.

You might consider an Aventon Pace 350. Aventon quality is good, and it’s be a bargain at $1200 or whatever they’re getting now. (I have their Level.2 and it’s great) On your inbound trip, you’d put it in granny gear and pedal with a bunch of motor assistance. Outbound, you’d coast and try not to overheat the brakes.

The Lectric XP Lite @ $800 is a good deal, but for hill climbing, the motor would be doing about 98% of the work, as its single speed is geared high, for 15 mph.

I like this topic. I was gonna start a similar topic but different by asking members here if they bought a pre-made e-Bike if they get another e-Bike would they buy another pre-made or would they build one from a bike and a conversion kit. I would ask would people who made their own build another or buy a pre-made.

To answer your question I suggest you buy a pre-made one. If you have a lot of steep hills then get one with middrive because they do better on steep hills, over a hub drive, at least this is what I read, not sure because I rented a Rad Power and rode over a steep bridge and it had no problems with the hub motor. One thing is I suggest you get one with a Torque Sensor over cadence because, in my opinion, they are more fun, have a natual feeling and you will get a heck of a lot more exercise with a Torque Sensor over cadence. If I suggest a bike it would be an Aventon with Torque Sensor. These bikes are well made and great features for the money, that is my conclusion on this brand from reading the specs and watching many reviews on YouTube.

Lastly, I made an e-Bike from a Bafang middrive. I liked it at first but it got boring and lack of exercise and natural feel made me change motors to a Tongsheng middrive Torque Sensing motor. The change was worth it, and now I feel like I am riding a regular bike with the option of assistance, but the Bafang felt more like a e-Moped or an e-Scooter. The Torque Sensor makes the ride soooo fun. If I get another e-Biike in the future I will not make one but will buy an Aventon with Torque Sensor. I would get either the Commuter 2.0 or the Aventure 2.0. The 2.0 bikes are with Torque Sensor. They have hub motors and I live on some steep hills, BUT I think the power they have in the hub is enough to make it up these hills, plus I plan on riding more on flat land on my long rides, the hills are just for a short distance to get home. I also like the Aventon's built in brake light and turning indicators. I like the rear rack too. The design also looks nice. I am glad I did my own build because I learned a lot about bike mechanics BUT it was a pain in the neck. My neighbor helped and I would not have had an easier time building without him. Look up my post on my bike build. Building your own is a pain in the neck. So many things can go wrong and a lot of modifications and Mcgivering you have to do. Lots of trips back and forth to the hardware store. Many a mailorder (online) purchasing you need to do when you find out something you need and can't find locally. So there is that waiting game. Chainline issues too. With pre-made bikes they are designed from the ground up and everything you need is included and their. Chainlines are good because they deign these bikes from Ground Zero and work the designs up to completion. My e-Bike I made now is awesome but I think pre-made still is the way to go. Just make sure you get Torque Sensing otherwise I think you will get bored easily.

One other thing about buying prebuilt is that it is DESIGNED for the speed, power and weight.

For example, When most people adapt a regular bike, they add weight and speed, but still have the same brakes.

I like this topic. I was gonna start a similar topic but different by asking members here if they bought a pre-made e-Bike if they get another e-Bike would they buy another pre-made or would they build one from a bike and a conversion kit. I would ask would people who made their own build another or buy a pre-made.

To answer your question I suggest you buy a pre-made one. If you have a lot of steep hills then get one with middrive because they do better on steep hills, over a hub drive, at least this is what I read, not sure because I rented a Rad Power and rode over a steep bridge and it had no problems with the hub motor. One thing is I suggest you get one with a Torque Sensor over cadence because, in my opinion, they are more fun, have a natual feeling and you will get a heck of a lot more exercise with a Torque Sensor over cadence. If I suggest a bike it would be an Aventon with Torque Sensor. These bikes are well made and great features for the money, that is my conclusion on this brand from reading the specs and watching many reviews on YouTube.

Lastly, I made an e-Bike from a Bafang middrive. I liked it at first but it got boring and lack of exercise and natural feel made me change motors to a Tongsheng middrive Torque Sensing motor. The change was worth it, and now I feel like I am riding a regular bike with the option of assistance, but the Bafang felt more like a e-Moped or an e-Scooter. The Torque Sensor makes the ride soooo fun. If I get another e-Biike in the future I will not make one but will buy an Aventon with Torque Sensor. I would get either the Commuter 2.0 or the Aventure 2.0. The 2.0 bikes are with Torque Sensor. They have hub motors and I live on some steep hills, BUT I think the power they have in the hub is enough to make it up these hills, plus I plan on riding more on flat land on my long rides, the hills are just for a short distance to get home. I also like the Aventon's built in brake light and turning indicators. I like the rear rack too. The design also looks nice. I am glad I did my own build because I learned a lot about bike mechanics BUT it was a pain in the neck. My neighbor helped and I would not have had an easier time building without him. Look up my post on my bike build. Building your own is a pain in the neck. So many things can go wrong and a lot of modifications and Mcgivering you have to do. Lots of trips back and forth to the hardware store. Many a mailorder (online) purchasing you need to do when you find out something you need and can't find locally. So there is that waiting game. Chainline issues too. With pre-made bikes they are designed from the ground up and everything you need is included and their. Chainlines are good because they deign these bikes from Ground Zero and work the designs up to completion. My e-Bike I made now is awesome but I think pre-made still is the way to go. Just make sure you get Torque Sensing otherwise I think you will get bored easily.
You are 100% spot on J Biker. The build route is for tinkerererers. The top shelf as Aventon and others are quality builds. They were designed from the ground up for a specific purpose with very little knowledge in bike repairs needed. The kit route is full of as you refereed to as McGivering. The chain lines are the main one to master. I own 2 pace 500 and a aventure and none of them in the 6,000 mi. between them has ever had a fault other than 2 broken spokes. Mister Peapod you had better borrow a ebike to attack that hill you must clear to work before buying just any old ebike. You stated bad feet which will limit your potential for aiding the hub drive. Unless you go with a large hub motor the hill will wear you down evertime. Read, study up, and talk with guys that ride all types of ebikes. You will save yourself money and frustration.

There is plenty of grace to be found up here so I would suggest 'old school' (trust your first instinct) and simply send it. ;)
(Unfiltered) 'Unashamed' example: https://www.youtube.com/@PhilRobertsononBlazeTV
E Trike I like your reference. I have experience with Phil Robertson as I live in the same area. Phil is a old school type person for real. Lives on the Ouachita R. in area known as Mouth of Cypress. I live across the river from their area. A self made person he is for sure. Left the main stream world for living off the land yrs. ago. His and his families success is due to his conviction with the All Mighty. Money nor fame will ever change the man. Maybe a lil off subject of ebikes but I think we all need Grace. Alan

One point that rarely seems to be brought in to these conversations is the cost of the battery relative to the quality of the cells and the price of a new bike.
For example, I'm struggling right now with the $700 cost of a 20Ah/21700 cell battery that will be 25% of the cost of the bike delivered (pre-order pricing).. I'd like a spare yet is this about average for the capacity/technology nowadays and if so a consideration for the OP in his final budget analysis?
For some reason, that $700 is telling me 'no'...while at the same time I'm wondering what one will cost a year from now or sooner....

One point that rarely seems to be brought in to these conversations is the cost of the battery relative to the quality of the cells and the price of a new bike.
For example, I'm struggling right now with the $700 cost of a 20Ah/21700 cell battery that will be 25% of the cost of the bike delivered (pre-order pricing).. I'd like a spare yet is this about average for the capacity/technology nowadays and if so a consideration for the OP in his final budget analysis?
For some reason, that $700 is telling me 'no'...while at the same time I'm wondering what one will cost a year from now or sooner....
Amen on the batt. $ I tell people that and they look at me like I`m crazier than I am. I have started using triangle shaped batt. bags over frame mounts. This along with ordering the proper discharge plugs allows me to use any batt. type in any of my personal builds. As long as the voltage is the same, 48v for me. I can run the batt. from the aventons on the bafang builds. I only have 1 dolphin type battery. The others vary from the pace 500 batt. to the aventures batteries. This saves me a bundle of bucks.

some people will call me an idiot, but i use these huge BTRpower batteries on all my builds, from 48v on up to 60v so far.

Buy prebuilt check out the Engwe L20,I have built a good many, now I am not sure why.
It is called addiction I think. I find myself buying cheap frame sets and robbing mid drives off other builds just to make a new ride. I was the same way with motor cycles. I need help Geez

some people will call me an idiot, but i use these huge BTRpower batteries on all my builds, from 48v on up to 60v so far.

that`ll work. I figured out that plugs are cheap batteries are not. I would love to learn to build batteries but not really. I just think I would.

Back