New Bafang front hub kit - need to change PAS settings

morrisford

Local time
2:04 AM
I have a newly installed Bafang front hub kit with DPC-18 display. I need to change PAS settings and it appears that I need to set up to modify the programming. Based on looking at the information that I have found I am looking for information necessary to set up to get started with doing programming changes.

The DPC-18 is typically used for Bafang mid drives. Is it even compatible with a hub motor?

What kind of controller do you have? Did you buy a kit and this came with it or did you assemble the parts yourself?

This video is a good generic walk thru.

The DPC-18 is typically used for Bafang mid drives. Is it even compatible with a hub motor?

What kind of controller do you have? Did you buy a kit and this came with it or did you assemble the parts yourself?

This video is a good generic walk thru.

Thanks for responding. I got a Bafang kit via Amazon. It is 48v 500 watt front wheel.
I have not been able to determine if the DPC-18 is compatible with hub motors except that it came with the kit and functions the same as the various mid drive videos I have watched.
The markings on the controller are WZKD4818A. That is the extent of what I know about it.
I have the kit installed on a bike and it functions.
My issue at the moment is that the pedal assist is too strong even at level 1. I would like to have the pas levels shifted toward less assist such that at level 1 I can pedal at a slow leisurely pace and get a gentle , smooth and continuous assist instead of bursts of strong assist.
It looks like my options at the moment would be 1) have a software programming capability to fiddle with the internal settings, acquire a different controller/display that works the way I want, or live with a clunky system.
I am certain that I can handle the things necessary to do the programming if I can get enough documentation/information. I have created/implemented embedded systems before.
I have on order a programming cable that should be here soon.
What software is necessary for the PC side of the programming connection?
Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Morris

Unfortunately, what you want to do is not going to be possible unless you get very, very lucky.

Bafang mid drives do have such a settings interface hiding inside of them, accessible via a special cable and the right software (The Speeed app in particular, three e's in the name; I didn't mistype). That programming cable you ordered is for that purpose. You won't get any use out of it with a hub motor. Thats because the Bafang mid drives have a controller built inside of them, and your access to their internals reaches out to the settings interface in that controller.

Bafang hub motors do not have an internal controller. They have whatever controller you hooked up to. This one is yours I suspect:

The Sondors bikes of more recent vintage have a settings screen in the display that lets you adjust the assist power percentages of each PAS level. But... they are tied to a manufacturer-specific display that is mated specifically to that controller. you have a DPC-18. The only way there is anything to edit is if you find something in the settings section, that you got directions to in the vids above. If your DPC-18 does that, its part of a special order batch (which do exist, but I would not bet the farm on such a thing).

Chances are to get what you want you are going to have to throw out everything but the motor and get a controller that is not such a poor performer. A KT controller in particular, mated to one of their branded displays that has a fairly robust settings interface. Those controllers do not present PAS as an on/off switch, and I am certain you would be a lot happier with the assist levels. My Level 1 is around 80w of output which is pretty gentle. Unfortunately, if you change the controller you likely have to change the throttle and PAS sensor since the plugs are unlikely to match.

Unfortunately, what you want to do is not going to be possible unless you get very, very lucky.

Bafang mid drives do have such a settings interface hiding inside of them, accessible via a special cable and the right software (The Speeed app in particular, three e's in the name; I didn't mistype). That programming cable you ordered is for that purpose. You won't get any use out of it with a hub motor. Thats because the Bafang mid drives have a controller built inside of them, and your access to their internals reaches out to the settings interface in that controller.

Bafang hub motors do not have an internal controller. They have whatever controller you hooked up to. This one is yours I suspect:

The Sondors bikes of more recent vintage have a settings screen in the display that lets you adjust the assist power percentages of each PAS level. But... they are tied to a manufacturer-specific display that is mated specifically to that controller. you have a DPC-18. The only way there is anything to edit is if you find something in the settings section, that you got directions to in the vids above. If your DPC-18 does that, its part of a special order batch (which do exist, but I would not bet the farm on such a thing).

Chances are to get what you want you are going to have to throw out everything but the motor and get a controller that is not such a poor performer. A KT controller in particular, mated to one of their branded displays that has a fairly robust settings interface. Those controllers do not present PAS as an on/off switch, and I am certain you would be a lot happier with the assist levels. My Level 1 is around 80w of output which is pretty gentle. Unfortunately, if you change the controller you likely have to change the throttle and PAS sensor since the plugs are unlikely to match.
I have decided to replace the controller and display with KT. I am looking at KT-22a controller with waterproof plugs and KT LCD3 display. That should just connect except for the battery and that will be easily enough changed.

Is that a reasonable change? Will that allow me the access to all the PAS settings?

Thanks in advance.
Morris

I have decided to replace the controller and display with KT. I am looking at KT-22a controller with waterproof plugs and KT LCD3 display. That should just connect except for the battery and that will be easily enough changed.

Is that a reasonable change? Will that allow me the access to all the PAS settings?

Thanks in advance.
Morris
Since this last post I have ordered and received a KT controller and an LCD3 display. After sorting out cables and etc it is installed and almost working. My current problem is that PAS does not work. When I pedal forward I see the blinking red light on the sensor but the controller does not drive the wheel. The thumb throttle moves the wheel just fine. I have researched and tried the settings that appear to have something to do with pas. No help. After connecting the rest of devices (lcd, brakes, power, controller, throttle) there was only one available connector and it matched the pas connector. Are there troubleshooting steps that I could do now? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Morris

Since this last post I have ordered and received a KT controller and an LCD3 display. After sorting out cables and etc it is installed and almost working. My current problem is that PAS does not work. When I pedal forward I see the blinking red light on the sensor but the controller does not drive the wheel. The thumb throttle moves the wheel just fine. I have researched and tried the settings that appear to have something to do with pas. No help. After connecting the rest of devices (lcd, brakes, power, controller, throttle) there was only one available connector and it matched the pas connector. Are there troubleshooting steps that I could do now? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Morris
Magnet installed onto a spoke correctly?

I've not used a KT controller yet but i am gonna order one with the display soon to check it out.

I do not understand the spoke question. As far as I know there is nothing that goes on a spoke. The pas mechanism has a round magnet wheel that attaches to the crank. It is installed and I am seeing pulses (red light) at the pas sensor.

Back