My butt gets sore!

I have a good suspension seat post and a cloud 9 seat and my butt still gets sore after about 10 miles. More specifically my pelvic bone area. I guess the next logical move would be those bicycle pants with the padded butt cheeks but I don't want to wear them unless I could wear something over them. I don't like that look. Heck, I don't like the looks of a helmet either but that's a safety issue and I'll put up with that. What's everyone else doing or is it not an issue? Anyone switched from a cloud 9 to something better that made a difference?
Mine hurt every time I went on long rides but I haven’t been on a bike for 20 years but now I don’t even notice it so just stay with it it will pass

one additional suggestion: if you stand up (and you are not going downhill), turn off power and start pedalling. First, the bike will not accelerate indefinitely, second it will save some energy.

You can always go down to the local John Deere shop and buy a big padded tractor seat. Okay, not really. Just try to ride everyday and eventually any seat will feel better. Just don't over do it on any particular day. If I skip even for a week then there is heck to pay when I start back up riding.

I have a good suspension seat post and a cloud 9 seat and my butt still gets sore after about 10 miles. More specifically my pelvic bone area. I guess the next logical move would be those bicycle pants with the padded butt cheeks but I don't want to wear them unless I could wear something over them. I don't like that look. Heck, I don't like the looks of a helmet either but that's a safety issue and I'll put up with that. What's everyone else doing or is it not an issue? Anyone switched from a cloud 9 to something better that made a difference?
If "Pelvic Area" is a euphonism for lady parts, look to seat tilt. Hopefully your SUS post is micro-adjustable and you can try dialing in a degree or three of forward tilt.

If it's your sit bones (ischial tuberosities) or male plumbing look to usable seat width.

Put a 1" thick hunk of styrofoam on the corner of your kitchen table and sit on it. Measure the center-to-center distance between the two dents left by your sit bones.

The usable width of your saddle needs to be that width or a little wider. "Usable" means the area with some give to it. On sling saddles like Brooks, that's the whole width. But on plastic saddles it excludes the hard rails under the saddle's edges.

I have the Ridstar Q20, and it has an elongated seat, more like a motorcycle seat. My butt still gets a little sore.
I'm going to be looking for a thick Gel cover for it too.

Attachments

• 71iXaHKwEjL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    71iXaHKwEjL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 44
To expand a little on the good advice @PeteCress is giving above, I recently had to go thru this process as some bad thinking on my part resulted in narrower saddles than I should be using, resulting in the extra-long rides I am making now causing some pretty severe problems.

SQLab has this down to a science. These instructions are from their site and they will send you free of charge a fit kit, which consists of this flyer below and a hunk o' cardboard. I ended up using some thick Home Depot heavy duty moving box cardboard and a tape measure. The reason I'm, bringing this up separately is the add-on width for the seating position. My 'moderate' positioning means I need to add another 2cm. My saddle width ended up being 16 cm and so far the 610 M-D 2.1 I bought, which also has a slightly lowered nose in its design, seems to be ideal for me. It replaced an Ergon ST Core Prime in S/M size. That pricey little bugger is going up on Ebay to make some money back.

sqlab.sit.bone.measurement.step.by.step.1500x1500px_b88e9828-98e3-435f-8b65-073d37dda7d5_1800x...png

all right, except that when you take the measurement as in 1. it is better to do it with the naked lower body.

First to be more accurate.

Second because the sketch would become more interesting.:ROFLMAO:

Nah. Your butt makes dents that are centered the same whether you are wearing shorts or not. However if you want to get your partner's pants off all's fair...

In 1999 I switched to a recumbent bike. No more wrist pain, no butt pain, no shoulder/arm pain…Can ride all day with no pain. Have 18,000 miles on the bike. Added an e-assist kit to it a few years ago, after two heart attacks, so I could climb hills.

Back