Mtn bike rear shock help!

DieselTech

Local time
8:50 AM
Guys & gals I need a softer rear shock for my new ebike. Here are my shock specs, per my measurements. 150mm eye to eye, 43mm body, 30mm piston with a 30mm stroke.

Can someone reccomend a adjustable rear shock? Also I would not mind lowering the seat height by a ½ to ¾ of a inch.

Any & all help would be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks.
20231004_071618.jpg
20231004_071707.jpg

If the shock is an air shock, you can let air out of it to make it softer, or if you have a rebound lever, you can adjust that. However, it looks like you have neither. If you don't do hard riding you can get a crappy Amazon.com shock for around $90

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
If the shock is an air shock, you can let air out of it to make it softer, or if you have a rebound lever, you can adjust that. However, it looks like you have neither. If you don't do hard riding you can get a crappy Amazon.com shock for around $90

Yeah I was looking at a RockShox Monarch R shock, but they are a bit pricey at this current time for me. I think I'll have to try 1 of these shocks. Thanks.
Screenshot_20231004-094232_Chrome.jpg

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
If you want a good shock, anything with the word 'Fox' on the side is what you should be choosing. Rockshox is good but Fox is better. With that said I have a Rockshox coil on my enduro and I REALLY like how a quality coil performs, plus the fact I can uprate the shock, which I did.

On a budget, its entirely a crapshoot. One thing you can count on is mounting the thing could be more complex than you figure it will be. When I did my 'how to build an ebike' series, I ended up bailing out on trying to give comprehensive instructions, found an industry source that included some very detailed help and linked to them. Here's that section with the video link.

I must suggest you think a bit about what you want to accomplish... I "think" 9-out-of-10 eBike owners are looking for "Comfortable Street/Paved-Path Riding' and very few are looking for "Performance Suspension" (if for no ther reason than slamming a 80lb eBike either up a trail or or thrashing it hard on a downhill run is really kindof iffy at best.

When it comes to "Rear Suspension" - my 1st shot when I am looking for "something more from the rear" is to get the eBike up on my Park stand - secure the rear wheel w/rear subframe - pull the shock - and see how thast rear end moves WITOUT the shock - is the vertical movement restricted - without the shock does the rear have lateral movement - do the rear suspension points need to be loosened - lubricated - teflon washers - or alloy bolts replace with 304 (or higher) stainless steel so they hold proper torque when tightened ?

Once I have played with the arse end of my eBike without the shock - then I know what I might be able to achieve with a quality shock. If you have a tight/rough rear end - then a shock can't do much - if the rear end moves smoothly then "maybe" you can get better comfort by changing thins up.

Bike shocks and eBike shocks are "Performance Shocks" - and you can dial in a riding range from a Volkswagen Jetta to a a Nissan Z-Car but you will never be able to duplicate your father's Cadillac Seville.

DMN makes a dang good bike/ebike shock for the money - I got partial to them in my T/T and Thumper moto days be careful and measure each "eye-end" you have now or you can get off track with poor mounting fitment.

1. Tire changes have brought me "comfort" - going to wired bead and low TPI - with a greater range of Fat Tires out there - call that $125 or so

2. Suspension Seat Post - the ones I own are in the $225-$300 ange - frankly the Redshift Sports Shockstop is my fav at the moment - I love their Arclight pedals so much I am a Redshift Believer - the Shockstop Stem- not for me.

3. Seats I probably have a dozen thrown around my shop on top of whats on my eBikes now - no magic bullet - some are more comfortable than others - all of them are under $40 ea for sure

4. Handlebars and Stem that's a real kicker - if your upper body and weight posture is NOT comfortable for you - your arse and back will NEVER be comfortable. For me a adjustable 120mm-130mm adjustable stem (for me I have not needed a stem riser for my ebikes) - and the widest decent bars I can find with a bit of swept back (current fav Tumbleweed Persuader 800mm - lov it = havent tried their 840mm yet). For me - right comfortale riding posture is Priceless !

Back