Hola from Folsom, CA

tgianco

Local time
12:30 AM
Just found these forums. Have owned an original Himiway Cruiser since early 2020 with a little about 2,650 miles on it. It's a lot of fun... still powerful, still fast and still has good range.
However, knowing what I know, there are some things I want in my next ebike... torque sensor (for sure), maybe a mid-drive, maybe a belt drive, good hydraulic brakes, possibly a little swept-back handlebars (not quite a cruiser, but like they have on the Velotric Nomad1... nice ride, btw... and definitely want a step-through for achy knees and hips. Oh, and has to have a throttle function as a "break glass in case of fire" situation (have wiped out a few times needing the throttle after)
Considering:
* Himiway Zebra Pro, the A7 Pro (unreleased) - both mid-drives w/ torque sensor
* Mokwheel Basalt
* Aventon Aventure2 - test-drove it, and it handled very nicely
* Velotric Nomad1 - really liked the ride, but waiting to see if they come out with a torque sensor

I pedal the entire way & want my ebike to look & act like a bike (no moped-style for me).

Welcome, tgianco, from SE Wisconsin.

My buddy in the next cube has a Himiway cruiser. He likes it overall, but wishes for a bit higher quality and regrets getting the fat tires. (I advised him against, but he wasn't hearing it at the time!

I've no experience with Mokwheel or Velotric, but I do have an Aventon, and the quality of components and build are both excellent. Since you already have an eFatty, may I recommend something that rolls more efficiently, like the Aventon Pace 500? It's still upright, but not so draggy in the tires nor so heavy. It has nice integrated brake lights and turn signals too. You will find yourself going 13 mph instead of 10 mph with the same effort.

Welcome, tgianco, from SE Wisconsin.

My buddy in the next cube has a Himiway cruiser. He likes it overall, but wishes for a bit higher quality and regrets getting the fat tires. (I advised him against, but he wasn't hearing it at the time!

I've no experience with Mokwheel or Velotric, but I do have an Aventon, and the quality of components and build are both excellent. Since you already have an eFatty, may I recommend something that rolls more efficiently, like the Aventon Pace 500? It's still upright, but not so draggy in the tires nor so heavy. It has nice integrated brake lights and turn signals too. You will find yourself going 13 mph instead of 10 mph with the same effort.
Just purchased the Himiway A7 Pro, and it's got full suspension with 2.75 inch tires. It also has great components (had my buddy, a bike Specialized/ Trek bike snob, look at some of the bikes I was looking at & he gave it the ok), so can't wait to get it out on the trails.
It should be ready, possibly, by this weekend or at the latest early next week.
ps://himiwaybike.com/products/urban-electric-commuter-bike

Just purchased the Himiway A7 Pro, and it's got full suspension with 2.75 inch tires. It also has great components (had my buddy, a bike Specialized/ Trek bike snob, look at some of the bikes I was looking at & he gave it the ok), so can't wait to get it out on the trails.
It should be ready, possibly, by this weekend or at the latest early next week.
ps://himiwaybike.com/products/urban-electric-commuter-bike
Very impressive specs; by that alone, it looks like a higher quality bike than Himiway is known for.

Things that stood out to me:
  • Full suspension. Can the rear be locked out, so that it doesn't absorb your pedaling power? It will definitely lead to a comfier ride.
  • Shimano hydraulic brakes; you'll never want to go back to mechanical. They're SO strong and smooth!
  • Integrated display and simple control; they're obviously targeting Bosch here
  • Built-in Abus wheel lock; awesome! Perfect for those quick stops in safer areas.
  • Shimano 9-speed cassette. I'm not impressed by the number of speeds (which aren't as necessary on an eBike) but I am impressed with how large the bail-out gear is! That means you'll realistically be able to pedal home when you run the battery dry, even with a hill here and there. Edit: Looked at the specs. Chainring is 44T and largest on the cassette is 34T. If that's correct, it's not geared as low as it appears to be. Hills are going to be tough without battery on a 44:34 (1.29 low gear ratio)
  • Mid drive will make this a superior climber; the motor uses the bike's gearing for better leverage. This gives you more torque, but will wear the chain & sprockets faster, so keep an eye on them. I would recommend buying a chain gauge tool. ($10 for a good Park Tool one)
  • It says 55 miles max., the pop-up footnote is not working for me, but I'm sure it says something like: "with a 150 lb. rider on flat ground in the lowest gear" However, 55 miles doesn't seem at all unreasonable for this bike with its smooth-rolling (Schwalbe!) tires and 48 V, 15 Ah battery pack. My Aventon has a 48 V 13(?) Ah back and I get 55 miles if I take 'er easy. Mix in some no-motor miles and it can be a regular thing.
  • They advertise "BMS for your safety". BMS = battery management system. Does the battery pack have any certification marks on it other than CE? Like SGS or UL? That would give me peace of mind. (I'm an electronics regulatory engineer; worked at UL for 21 years)
  • 500 W motor is not consider a lot these days, but more important is that it's so torquey. 130 Nm is a LOT! My Aventon has a 500 W motor, and even with its hub motor (that doesn't use the sprocket gearing) it has no problem at all with hills or taking me to 25+ mph.
  • Torque sensor: this is a nice feature for a natural feeling. If you let someone else ride it, you won't have to worry so much about them getting out of control.
  • Motor: Never heard of Ananda. I hope it works out OK
  • That front fender doesn't have very good coverage. If you ride in the wet, you may want to consider a mud flap.
  • I wonder what kind of cells are used. Other bikes in their line-up specifically advertise Samsung or LG cells; no mention on this one, which usually means they use cheap ones.
One thing that's confusing is that the page you linked says it has a 720 Wh battery, 55 mile range. This page says it has a 960 Wh battery and 80 mile range. Is the "new" part higher capacity cells?

Congratulations, I hope it works out swimmingly.

Very impressive specs; by that alone, it looks like a higher quality bike than Himiway is known for.

• Motor: Never heard of Ananda. I hope it works out OK
  • That front fender doesn't have very good coverage. If you ride in the wet, you may want to consider a mud flap.
  • I wonder what kind of cells are used. Other bikes in their line-up specifically advertise Samsung or LG cells; no mention on this one, which usually means they use cheap ones.
One thing that's confusing is that the page you linked says it has a 720 Wh battery, 55 mile range. This page says it has a 960 Wh battery and 80 mile range. Is the "new" part higher capacity cells?

Congratulations, I hope it works out swimmingly.
Thanks for your feedback. To respond to a couple of points:
Ananda motors are actually very nice. I know some of the higher-end bike manufacturers use them (Evelo has for years, along with Brose, and people rave about the motor) as their motor of choice.
The Himiway A& page can be confusing. You have to select Pro again halfway down the page to see the specs for the battery. It's a 720wh battery on the Pro. With the torque sensor and mid-drive, I expect to get more than 55 miles on a charge (lots of mid-drives get higher range than they publish) as I do pedal the entire time, never use the throttle (unless just to get started again on an uphill) & keep PAS at low levels.
BTW, I really like the Aventon Aventure2 that I rode. Others that I really liked & were torn about included Velotric Nomad1 (such a nice ride) and the Euphree City Robin X+ (so comfortable and actually powerful... might have gone w/ this one but I wanted the mid-drive and a little more trail components).

Enjoy the journey.

We have a pair of Lectric-like ebikes. Next ebike will focus on:
- A bit more pull power
- Battery life
- Thinner, slick tires. The fat tires on many ebikes are just - not a match for the typical riding for those bikes.

Back