Hard Tail or full suspension?

Bobj616

Local time
2:02 AM
I'm trying to decide what my next ebike will be. I have over 10000 miles on my M2S all terrain 750 HT and want to move up to a mid drive. I can't decide between the M2S Ultra FS or for about the same price a Frey Hunter(HT). The Frey specs are better but I sure would like the smoother ride of a FS bike. M2S has been very responsive to any problems or questions I have had over the last 6 years and Frey is direct from China but has a rep for well built and equipped Bikes. The shipping time for Frey will be measured in months ,not weeks or days. I know there is more maintenance with a FS bike but I believe it is something I can do. Has anyone gone from a hard tail to a full suspension and regretted the decision later. Any opinions based on experience are welcomed.

"I sure would like the smoother ride of a FS bike."

It's your ass, your decision.

What if someone suggested a unicycle?

If someone suggested a unicycle I would think they just wanted to see me fall on my ass . I'm 68 years old and that probably wouldn't end well.

If someone suggested a unicycle I would think they just wanted to see me fall on my ass . I'm 68 years old and that probably wouldn't end well.

6rKFXo6.jpg

Get the Frey. Its a Chinese brand for sure but they have always had a reputation for solid quality, genuinely smart design and top level components - actual quality parts that a cyclist would want on a bike versus the cheap stuff you ordinarily see on DTC bikes. What you end up getting is a bike that is spec'd like a $7000 bike that costs $4000. So its not going to be cheap.

Also what happened to the Frey USA dealer channel? They used to stock a supply of bikes in the States to eliminate that wait-for-the-container delay lasting months that they had in their first few years in the market.

With that said, I am hearing via the grapevine that the industry is on the edge of a serious shakeout. There is enormous unsold inventory in the pipeline across the board, from name brands to the cheapest of the cheap. A certain high end brand could drop one individual model from 7000 to as low as 4500, and another from 3750 to 2500.

The 'traditional' bicycle industry traditionally has blowouts as the year comes to a close. Over and above the promotional wave I am talking about. You might consider sitting on the sidelines and waiting until later in the year to make a decision.

"I sure would like the smoother ride of a FS bike."

It's your ass, your decision.

What if someone suggested a unicycle?
I'm trying to decide what my next ebike will be. I have over 10000 miles on my M2S all terrain 750 HT and want to move up to a mid drive. I can't decide between the M2S Ultra FS or for about the same price a Frey Hunter(HT). The Frey specs are better but I sure would like the smoother ride of a FS bike. M2S has been very responsive to any problems or questions I have had over the last 6 years and Frey is direct from China but has a rep for well built and equipped Bikes. The shipping time for Frey will be measured in months ,not weeks or days. I know there is more maintenance with a FS bike but I believe it is something I can do. Has anyone gone from a hard tail to a full suspension and regretted the decision later. Any opinions based on experience are welcomed.
Why not just get a suspension seatpost which is a whole lot cheaper and lighter than a full sus mtb

I'm 80 and wanted an e-mtb for hunting and backcountry camping. I got a 95 pound E-CELLS Super MonarchCrown. Before you laugh at the name take a look at it. 2 wheel drive, 2 batteries (hence the weight), Dual suspension. I love that rear suspension. It's easy on my back with its L4 & L5 disc problems and makes controlling it in rough terrain easier.
I needed a "cargo" e-mtb and with its 400 pound load limit to haul out big game meat and this is the best choice. The next closest was the way over-priced RAMBO Megatron.
Plus I live in Henderson, NV and the company is located 60 miles north of 'Vegas in Pahrump, NV.
*A cargo e-mtb may not be your bike but I do recommend rear suspension.

Why not just get a suspension seatpost which is a whole lot cheaper and lighter than a full sus mtb
After doing the research this is exactly what I did and it was a whole lot cheaper than buying a new bike to build out. The key is to get a good suspension seatpost. Don't cheap out on this, you get what you pay for.

I appreciate all the replies. As to getting a suspension seatpost , I have one ,it helped but still didn't dampen some of the rough roads I travel. The point is moot now. I cracked the frame on my old bike and decided to go ahead and buy the M2S ultra FS. I have had it about a month now and already have 750 miles on it. The full suspension makes a world of difference in the ride and the Ultra motor gets me around pretty fast, faster than I thought I would ride. The shifting is different than a hub motor and so I am still learning to use the gears correctly . It is actually a little more work than my old bike on hills but one of the reasons I ride is for the exercise.

I would stick with a company you know. As far and hard vs softail it really depends on where you are riding in my book.

Back