Good inexpensive source of better solution for covering wires

FrankR

Local time
5:27 AM
I need to rip my ebike wiring apart. [I'm going to be installing a controller and display replacement.]

I'm not a fan of the way most bike designs just leave wires exposed - and often wrapped in something that pretty much comes apart when you disturb it.

Anyone have suggestions for a replacement solution - to have some sort of cover across all the wiring of the bike - that you can easily get into when service is needed - but will keep the wiring dry when not.

I remember seeing some sort of zipper sleeves in the past, but I can't find them. Suggestions? Thanks.

Look for 'split sleeve wiring loom'. When you cut them to size you need to hit them with a bbq lighter to keep them from unraveling. The stuff from Alex Tech is pretty much the go-to.

Another thing I do when I have to leave wiring exposed is cover it in 2:1 heat shrink that matches the frame color. Many colors available on Amazon. Hides the wiring in plain sight. I stop the sheathing where the wiring leaves the frame so the look of the bike isn't compromised from the norm of black cabling. It just looks like the cables are routed within the frame until you look more closely.

I did a white bike with split sleeve looms instead of heatshrink and found out what white looms like that look like when sand is sprayed onto them for a few months. I should have done heat shrink.

I have seen some of that, and it looks like it would work as an alternative.

I was really hoping to find something waterproof that I could zipper open and closed. So that I had easy access to wiring any time.

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
I was really hoping to find something waterproof that I could zipper open and closed. So that I had easy access to wiring any time.
I would have never guessed in a million years that something like that existed. However, as neat as it seems on the surface, on reflection I can't help but think its not likely to be useful unless you are very lucky. A product like that cannot be cut to size needed. Your cable run has to be exactly as long as the wrap/sheath.

Back