Giant xplore Yamaha in a monsoon

theblackdug

Local time
11:42 AM
Hi I’ve just driven through the worst rain I’ve ever experienced with my bike on the back of my motorhome , unfortunately uncovered.
It now switches on shows every icon in the display but then immediately switches off
Does anyone have any suggestions?
I’ve spoken with the dealer who said it has to go back to giant but I’d rather have a go myself
Cheers

Hi I’ve just driven through the worst rain I’ve ever experienced with my bike on the back of my motorhome , unfortunately uncovered.
It now switches on shows every icon in the display but then immediately switches off
Does anyone have any suggestions?
I’ve spoken with the dealer who said it has to go back to giant but I’d rather have a go myself
Cheers
Best thing I could say. Is pull all connectors loose & clean with electrical contact cleaner & blow dry. Display could be removed & packed in rice to suck the moisture out of it.

After the rice be sure to mspary spray the circuit board with ACF-50 spray then reassemble the display...then use a q-tip and put some ACF-50 around the seams where the two halves of the display go togethert and on any other place water ingress may take place.

Hope that helps :cool:

After the rice be sure to mspary spray the circuit board with ACF-50 spray then reassemble the display...then use a q-tip and put some ACF-50 around the seams where the two halves of the display go togethert and on any other place water ingress may take place.

Hope that helps :cool:
That acf-50 can I get it thru amazon or does it come from the manufacturer directly? Thanks.

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
How do you recommend to buy it? Aerosol cans? Or bulk jug? Thanks.
oh i just buy the aerosol cans.
If i was building more than 10 ebikes per year i'd prolly go for both the aerosol and the bulk jug simply because it'd be easier
to just dip a q-tip and go with it from there around edges of display..etc..

Best thing I could say. Is pull all connectors loose & clean with electrical contact cleaner & blow dry. Display could be removed & packed in rice to suck the moisture out of it.
Ok I’ll give it a go unfortunately I’m still away so I’ll have to wait till I get back
Thanks

Switch the display on several times. Residual stored power will often power it for several seconds, but with no battery connection it will go totally dead after a few tries.

If so, that will tell you that there is no battery power being received, test the battery itself, if it is a removable battery in a cradle this is likely the source of the issue. Remove and dry thoroughly. Display in rice also a good idea, do one at a time and locate the problem exactly.

Never forget that anything you do to keep water OUT, will also act to keep water IN. Many components have a drain hole on the bottom just for this reason. Also, many are not really affected much by the water itself, but can be damaged by the corrosion caused by long-term immersion and the dust and grit caried in by the flow.

Also, you live in Scotland?????

Get a tarp, ya boob.

Never been called a tit quite so politely thanks haha
Anyway the battery is efed so I’ll have to wait till I go home in December,
I read that some shops can bypass the bms and carry out a charge that way so we’ll see then

low amp feed through discharge port...like half an amp to start if you have the right charger that can do that.

low amp feed through discharge port...like half an amp to start if you have the right charger that can do that.
I wouldn't recommend that. It seems like the water has caused a short, hopefully temporary. To energize the circuit when there's a short may cause further damage.

Do the desiccant pack thing with the battery removed from the bike, so no circuits are energized as it dries out.

If the short somehow caused circuitry to become energized, there could already be damage to the circuitry. I recommend removing the battery from eBikes when transporting them in the weather.

Normally, rain water would not be low enough resistance to cause a short, but with the small spacings in the control circuitry, it could have.

(I'm an engineer with electronics background)

I wouldn't recommend that. It seems like the water has caused a short, hopefully temporary. To energize the circuit when there's a short may cause further damage.

Do the desiccant pack thing with the battery removed from the bike, so no circuits are energized as it dries out.

If the short somehow caused circuitry to become energized, there could already be damage to the circuitry. I recommend removing the battery from eBikes when transporting them in the weather.

Normally, rain water would not be low enough resistance to cause a short, but with the small spacings in the control circuitry, it could have.

(I'm an engineer with electronics background)
oh yeah, i should have read the above, i seem to have forgotten we were talking about water ingress on the battery.

There must have been a reason i said that :unsure:

oh yeah, i should have read the above, i seem to have forgotten we were talking about water ingress on the battery.

There must have been a reason i said that :unsure:
I was thinking of water ingress in the controller, but maybe the ingress completed a circuit if the battery was plugged in such that parts of it became energized and zapped something.

The battery, I assume would be sealed up a bit tighter against the elements.

Back