Fenders

WHEELZ

Local time
10:03 AM
I outfitted my Townie cruiser bike with a set of fenders, there is always some type of puddles from rain, snow, lawn sprinklers on the trails around here. My back is not getting striped anymore, but they really don't do a very good job keeping the down tube or rear chain stay area clean. Perhaps I need a mud flap?

Attachments

• Fenders1.jpg
    Fenders1.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 46
  • Fenders2.jpg
    Fenders2.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 39
On this bike i have a front fender zip tied to the downtube lol
You can see what i have going on for the rear and just above the chainring....stops everything more or less ;)
1706815857224.jpeg

Another company that has many flavors of fenders is Portland Design Works.

Many to choose from, full fenders, half fenders, down tube fenders, you name it they got a bunch.

Another company that has many flavors of fenders is Portland Design Works.

Many to choose from, full fenders, half fenders, down tube fenders, you name it they got a bunch.

I have a set of the Portland Design Works origami's on my mountain style bike, I've tried a few positions with this one, and I still getting spray on my back. I've run it close to the tire, angled upwards etc. no luck. Getting dirty doesn't bother me, but that spray from the city has a black greasy residue that ruins my day glow jackets.

Attachments

• OFENDER.jpg
    OFENDER.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 32
I'm with you WHEELZ. I think your only option is to fabricate some sort of mud flap to attach to the front fender. This time of year especially, I'm thankful for my fenders at least twice a week. Snow melt, salt spray and all the road dirt that's in the spray would be all over everything.

My fenders have decent coverage, but my shoes are looking rough, because that front doesn't go down far enough:

Most manufacturers don't design the front fender to go down far enough. Specialized is an (the?) exception:
1706888150175.png

I like fenders on my bikes. I've used Planet Bike ones mainly because they have a wide one that fits over the 2.1 tires on my touring machine, plus they were not expensive. I finally did break one this last summer but it was my fault. Bike was riding upright in the bed of my truck but I did not have it strapped and a gust of wind caught it to break on the side rail of the truck bed. The only bike that does not have fenders is my go fast roadie bike, but , I have not ridden that bike since I went electric four years ago. I should give that bike to one of my kids.

I like fenders on my bikes. I've used Planet Bike ones mainly because they have a wide one that fits over the 2.1 tires on my touring machine, plus they were not expensive. I finally did break one this last summer but it was my fault. Bike was riding upright in the bed of my truck but I did not have it strapped and a gust of wind caught it to break on the side rail of the truck bed. The only bike that does not have fenders is my go fast roadie bike, but , I have not ridden that bike since I went electric four years ago. I should give that bike to one of my kids.
they actually have some nice accesories

That gives me a certain sense of satisfaction, when lights are properly integrated. If you ever get caught riding home after sundown or go out before full daylight, it's nice to have that.

Well-done.

There are lots of fender mud flaps available on Amazon and ebay here's one, https://www.amazon.com/Planet-Bike-Mud-Flap-fenders/dp/B001CJVKGQ/ref=sr_1_3?crid=DKDQ8G9G5D1V&keywords=beach+cruiser+front+fender+mud+flap&qid=1707407546&sprefix=beach+cruzer+front+fender+mud+flap,aps,186&sr=8-3

I have these great old school mud flaps on my old Hiawatha cruiser bike that have checkered flags crossed and small round reflector in the middle but I couldn't find them just now.

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Back