Custom Built Fatty - BBSHD & Nuvinci N171 CVP hub.

For anyone that can... like climbers and campers, it's hard to do on an ebike for those of us who deal with inclement weather. I'm with you on layers and not overheating. During my winter rides, I am either wearing or have available a hard shell, a thin synthetic down jacket, a 40-year-old wool sweater, sleeveless and long-sleeve wicking base layer undershirts, a pair of insulated leggings, a backup pair of thin base layer socks, a pair of heavy over the knee socks, back-up gloves, and a pair of Rainlegs. All this is in addition to the pants, underwear, socks, and shoes/boots I am wearing. A great pair of knee-high snug rubber boots work great for me. I've used overshoes too... it's better than having wet shoes regardless of sock choice. My rubber boots are in the trailer on any multi-day rides year-round. I don't like any of the waterproof socks available or neoprene gloves I can't keep my hands and feet dry in them. A thin wool glove liner under whichever Sealskinz glove I'm wearing depending on the weather. I haven't used electric gloves but they all look thick and bulky. What makes it work for me is bar bags that allow me to stop and level up or down to stay in the "sweet spot". Make sure the hard shell has pit-zips, I wish my down jacket had them too. A double-ended bar bag in addition to a large Arkel bag holds everything I need to ride all year round in the PNW, but the older I get the harder it is to stay warm. I just concentrate on staying dry from rain and sweat. I'm sure if I had to ride in sub-zero temps all the time I would have a few more layers, like those electric gloves and shoe toe covers.

I'd get enough exercise putting all that on and taking it all off.

I'd get enough exercise putting all that on and taking it all o

You must be in pretty terrible shape if that's the case.

Yeah, it takes a bit of time, probably about ten minutes to get ready, faster to take it off. And all the proper gear costs money, I probably have more money invested in warm winter clothing than in any equipment but its just what you have to do to get out there and enjoy winter.

Or you can just stay inside and watch TV

... Yeah, it takes a bit of time...
Much of the clothing stays on the bike at all times, but I load peanuts, set the music up, record the Grin Satiator charge data from the precious ride, make sure I have water, check the bike (PMCS), start the GPS, reset mileage counter and take off... about 10 minutes maybe.

Sorry, this wasn't sarcasm?
Don't mind him... he was an abused child. People who don't really ride don't understand most of what riders do daily, the checks, the routines you have getting on the bike almost daily... I missed one-day last week. Just got off the bike an hour ago, a beautiful warm late summer day. Had a flat front tire so I swapped out tubes and got in a few hours. - https://photos.app.goo.gl/qXy3dU8Ddo9smwEZ9

Don't mind him... he was an abused child. People who don't really ride don't understand most of what riders do daily, the checks, the routines you have getting on the bike almost daily... I missed one-day last week. Just got off the bike an hour ago, a beautiful warm late summer day. Had a flat front tire so I swapped out tubes and got in a few hours. - https://photos.app.goo.gl/qXy3dU8Ddo9smwEZ9

Well, riding for 40 years in central California, I rarely put on rain gear, let alone 20+ peices of gear.

Seems way too much effort, now here in Missouri, when there are plenty of other activities like shoveling snow or splitting logs to do around the house that don't require a closet full of clothing to put on.

Cross training is important too.

Back