Electric Bike Power Usage

eBraker1

Local time
11:04 AM
Hello, I live in a pretty hilly corner of the world, and I was wondering how much is your average power consumption riding over hilly terrain. I am planing to ride my bike mostly on paved roads. Please tell me what motor you have and what is your average consumption.

Thank you in advance.

Your question is a bit broad. Speed, rider and bike weight, grade, wind and effort by the rider are all factors. As an example, I ride an upgraded Class 1 Yamaha Cross Core with 250W output and a 500WH battery. My area is hilly with some grades over 20% and I ride a combination of paved and gravel. I generally average 16 to 18 mph. The Cross Core has four assist levels, (eco+, eco, standard and high). I typically ride in eco and I can ride about 65 miles and still have about 10% remaining. If I ride eco+, I can ride about 110 miles with 10% left in the tank.

I don’t know if this helps or adds to the confusion. It all comes down to the efficiency and capability of the bike and the amount of rider effort applied.

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I was looking for that kind of data to get a general idea of how much power do ebikes use, I'm on the pretty average side considering weight, I was more aiming for 30 - 40 km/h speeds (20 - 25 mph), wind isn't really a problem here in the summer (I only ride in the summer). Also, how much do you slow down/have to pedal more when you reach the higher grades (15% - 25%)?

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I was looking for that kind of data to get a general idea of how much power do ebikes use, I'm on the pretty average side considering weight, I was more aiming for 30 - 40 km/h speeds (20 - 25 mph), wind isn't really a problem here in the summer (I only ride in the summer). Also, how much do you slow down/have to pedal more when you reach the higher grades (15% - 25%)?
I’m an old cyclist, (67), so I may not be the best example of the average ebike rider. Even at 20% grade I still keep the assist on eco. If I had a class 3 and used the highest assist I would probably be climbing at more than 20 mph. I ride those grades in eco and dependent on the length of the climb, I ride it between nine and twelve mph.

The class 3 on high would seriously affect my range. It would also feel unnatural. I don’t feel that I need to climb faster than the best pro riders. Most of my riding is for pleasure and fitness and I still ride my carbon fiber road and gravel bikes.

I have no throttle and don’t want one. It’s just not for me. My bike still feels like a bike. The difference is that it makes me feel like I am forty years younger.

I think battery is the largest piece of equipment that will answer your question, but like Django said the rider is actually the second factor. I live in San Francisco, which is very hilly. I used to ride a Jetson that I bought from Costco around the city, but noticed the battery would die very quickly and I'd have to do a lot more work than I wanted. I bought the Emerald Fold and it's handling the San Francisco hills with ease. It has a 48v Samsung Battery. I haven't taken around the entire city yet on one charge, but I plan on it. Hope this helps.

I have been riding an Aventure.1 for past year, and when on paved but very hilly roads, I get about 20 miles out of a battery. That is on PAS 5 and peddling most of the time. On PAS 3 / 4, I can get about 25 miles. I am sure the Mokwheel bike with its larger battery will do better. We have many coming in, so we shall see!!

Back