easiest way to take a +/- straight from the battery ?

phrd

Local time
11:01 PM
Is there an easy way to take positive and neutral wire from the battery? I'm new to all this

I'm not sure what you are trying to do. But yes, they make different Y-adapters you can purchase to split off of your battery.
Thanks .... I'm running it to a reducer for a 12 volt lighting system . .... I may sound ignorant ..but where is the best point to connect this Y adapter ?

Thanks .... I'm running it to a reducer for a 12 volt lighting system . .... I may sound ignorant ..but where is the best point to connect this Y adapter ?
First we need to know what bike we are dealing with. Then it would be nice to know what voltage your bike is. I'm new to the ebike world as well, but there will be others that probably know exactly what you need.

First we need to know what bike we are dealing with. Then it would be nice to know what voltage your bike is. I'm new to the ebike world as well, but there will be others that probably know exactly what you need.
It's 48v .... there is no indication of the bikes name ...I will post a pic

Attachments

• IMG_20230717_182402~2.jpg
    IMG_20230717_182402~2.jpg
    244.1 KB · Views: 62
  • bike 10.png
    bike 10.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 66
Thanks for the welcome ... yes the bike is new ... but wasn't from a bike shop ... I think it was more or less a department store
I'm wandering if your headlight is stepped down to 12volts. If it is, you could buy the appropriate Y-splitter cable for the head light assembly. Then you can pull or draw your 12volt power from there.

thanks ... I was wondering myself what voltage goes to the lights....I have a multi meter so intend to check if I need to go that route. I was trying to find a way that didn't involve cutting any of the original wires.....but maybe that's my best option.

I'm wandering if your headlight is stepped down to 12volts. If it is, you could buy the appropriate Y-splitter cable for the head light assembly. Then you can pull or draw your 12volt power from there.
I just noticed from the pics ... the headlight looks to have a connector {I can't check at the moment ... I've got gout and can't walk} but if that's the case it would be simple to undo the connecting plug and check the voltage. ....thanks for that ..

Lets not get the cart too far ahead of the horse.

1. "Most" eBikes require partial assembly - and its common that mounting and attaching the headlight is part of that.

2. All "factory" ebike headlights I have seen do have a connector - 1/2 connector leading from the bike to the headlight - 1/2 connector leading fron the headlight to the bike - the 2 "halves" generally push-fit/pull-apart - take care when you push-fit to have both halves aligned properly !

3. The 1/2 of the connector with "pins" is termed Male - the 1/2 of the connector with "holes" is termed Female

4. With headlight connected "some" LED headlights have a Running Light that is always on when the bike is On - with a Switchable low and/or Highbeam from the Display/Contols - other headlights have switchable hi/low - you do need to know how that headlight operates>

5.. Disconnect the connector - count the # Pins on the make side - and count the matching # of holes on the female side (which should match) - "normally most are 2-pin or 3-pin, one guy in UK has a bike with 5-pin which is quite unusual.

6. Normal headlights arre 12V 0 you can check that with your multi-meter (possible easiest on the headlight contacts on the back of the headlight.

7. Knowing your connector - and checking if the Bike side is Female (usually or sometimes malem) and the headlight side will be vice versa - you can order the correct "Y" cable from Amazon UK that plugs intot the Bike side - and has 2 connector on the Headlight side. You will use one to reconnect your headligt - and the 2nd to "steal" your power.

8. If it's stepdown to handlbar mounted 5V USB-A or 5V USB-C - there are handbar ports that can be driven with the open connector - and it will receive power just like it was a 2nd headlight.

Since there isnt any "eBike Industry Electrical Standard" - the headlight tap is commonly used for 2A handlebar stuff.

Lets not get the cart too far ahead of the horse.

1. "Most" eBikes require partial assembly - and its common that mounting and attaching the headlight is part of that.

2. All "factory" ebike headlights I have seen do have a connector - 1/2 connector leading from the bike to the headlight - 1/2 connector leading fron the headlight to the bike - the 2 "halves" generally push-fit/pull-apart - take care when you push-fit to have both halves aligned properly !

3. The 1/2 of the connector with "pins" is termed Male - the 1/2 of the connector with "holes" is termed Female

4. With headlight connected "some" LED headlights have a Running Light that is always on when the bike is On - with a Switchable low and/or Highbeam from the Display/Contols - other headlights have switchable hi/low - you do need to know how that headlight operates>

5.. Disconnect the connector - count the # Pins on the make side - and count the matching # of holes on the female side (which should match) - "normally most are 2-pin or 3-pin, one guy in UK has a bike with 5-pin which is quite unusual.

6. Normal headlights arre 12V 0 you can check that with your multi-meter (possible easiest on the headlight contacts on the back of the headlight.

7. Knowing your connector - and checking if the Bike side is Female (usually or sometimes malem) and the headlight side will be vice versa - you can order the correct "Y" cable from Amazon UK that plugs intot the Bike side - and has 2 connector on the Headlight side. You will use one to reconnect your headligt - and the 2nd to "steal" your power.

8. If it's stepdown to handlbar mounted 5V USB-A or 5V USB-C - there are handbar ports that can be driven with the open connector - and it will receive power just like it was a 2nd headlight.

Since there isnt any "eBike Industry Electrical Standard" - the headlight tap is commonly used for 2A handlebar stuff.
Thanks for that ... I tried to check the headlight voltage this morning, unfortunately the male pins are coming from the headlight and my multi meter doesn't fit inside of the female openings. I think if I buy a y cable I will be cutting one of the connectors off and take the wires straight to a connecting box, this will give me the opportunity to check the voltage. The bike seems a bit of a mystery ... I got sent the wrong manual with it, the online store where I bought it have not been helpful but it is what it is .... I'm sure I'll get there in the end ...with a bit help..... cheers

Once you know what the connector is - color and how many pins - then I would suggest you order a matching male-female extension cable from amazon.uk - here in U.S about USD$10 - cut that in half - so you have a extra male and extra female.

The 1-male-to-2-female-Y - if not available from amazon.uk you can find on aliexpress like USD$10-$11

Thanks for the help .... and what appears to be an easier way to do things ..... I have ordered open connectors from Ali Express ...the reason for this is ,,, if I don't take a lead to a switch ... my headlights would be on permanently.... I think this should work as I am fitting a small electrical connection box just behind the headlight..... I going to have to wait about 3 weeks for delivery {that's after paying an extra delivery charge .. or they would have been delivered in December} One again thanks ... any further advice would be appreciated

Attachments

• connector.jpg
    connector.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 54
Back