E-Bike charging station

bsqur8

Local time
9:41 PM
We are attempting to create an E-bike charging station at our public park. The trail it is on is approximately an 80 miles circuit. One of the dilemma's for us is accomodating the variety of bikes. Any and all suggestions or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

The easiest thing would be to provide a line voltage power outlet. Users would bring their own chargers and then the various different low voltage DC outputs is not a concern.

In a public park, there would likely already be line voltage AC power around already for street lights.

You would want to limit the output current so that people cannot come along and plug in high drain devices. Maybe also a timer that shuts it off after a couple hours, so homeless people can't just set up camp there.

Heck....we can't even get car charging stations in rural towns like ours......let alone ebike ones.
You have it backwards, as it takes a lot more infrastructure to charge a car than a bicycle. I think the standard Class 2 charger needs 240 V @ 60 A. A typical bike charger needs only the regular 120 V @ maybe 2 A; just a regular power outlet with a rain cover.

We can't even get chargers for eBIKES, much less cars!

You have it backwards, as it takes a lot more infrastructure to charge a car than a bicycle. I think the standard Class 2 charger needs 240 V @ 60 A. A typical bike charger needs only the regular 120 V @ maybe 2 A; just a regular power outlet with a rain cover.

We can't even get chargers for eBIKES, much less cars!
I understand the electric requirements.....my point.....rural towns are last to see almost any government funding........neither will be here for a long time.

I don't know. We just got fiber optic internet installed in our rural area, part of Biden's infrastructure plan. It might be that local entities need to apply for the money that's available? I don't know, but maybe.

There are at least 3 popular type connectors for battery charging ports. The most common battery voltages are 36 Volt (v) and 48v. However, 52v and 60v are growing in popularity. I considered building a solar charger for our outbuilding at work, which is used to house bicycles which are ridden to work.

In a controlled environment like mine, I don't have to worry about equipment being stolen for the "copper wire" in them. They same might not be true of a public park. Then the question becomes "charging current". Some bigger packs are quite happy at being charged at 5 amps, smaller packs may need a lighter 2 amp charge. All my chargers at home are currently 3 amp power packs. Thus far at home, I have standardized on 48v Lithium Ion batteries. This makes charging easy. But keep in mind there are those who have 48v LifPO4 batteries, which require a different kind of charger than Lithium Ion batteries.

The Wired Freedom bikes are calling my name recently, and they require a 60v charger. Only the future can tell.
Smaug's suggestion of "Bring Your Own Charger (BYOC) sounds like the most sensible idea.

This is a nice-Round-About-Discussion - Commercially made Charging Stations are available - however as the eBike-Space is so-so-very non-standardized Charging Stations are a messy subject - if for no other reason - AFTER you solve the plug-in capability - AFTER you incorporporate VOLTAGE SENSING - the eBike Manufacturers have not statardized Charging Battery Temp Sensing yet so the stength of the proper voltage charge to a specific battery can't be monitored - so, without Battery Temp Sensing - who can guarentee the next eBike slotted to the rack doesn't become a IED (not IUD).

We are attempting to create an E-bike charging station at our public park. The trail it is on is approximately an 80 miles circuit. One of the dilemma's for us is accomodating the variety of bikes. Any and all suggestions or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
What facilities are at the park now? Restrooms, ranger station? Anything with a 120V outside outlet should be enough. Bikers would have to supply their own charger obviously. It would be near impossible, impractical, and expensive to supply some sort of charger that would work for all bikes.

I don't know. We just got fiber optic internet installed in our rural area, part of Biden's infrastructure plan. It might be that local entities need to apply for the money that's available? I don't know, but maybe.
You're correct.....ours are is on a long list for car charging stations......we'll get them someday but we're low priority.

Would help if you at least stated what country you are in ROFL

This is a nice-Round-About-Discussion - Commercially made Charging Stations are available - however as the eBike-Space is so-so-very non-standardized Charging Stations are a messy subject - if for no other reason - AFTER you solve the plug-in capability - AFTER you incorporporate VOLTAGE SENSING - the eBike Manufacturers have not statardized Charging Battery Temp Sensing yet so the stength of the proper voltage charge to a specific battery can't be monitored - so, without Battery Temp Sensing - who can guarentee the next eBike slotted to the rack doesn't become a IED (not IUD).
very good point.

And that's a shame, to be honest. In Spain - but probably not the only country - I have seen many free "service columns" for ebikes. These are stands in public places where you can fill up tires or repair a flat (there are some tools protected by a wire that anyone can use) or tighten a loose bolts, but nothing like a charging station.

I hope that the EU will soon legislate to standardize the plugs and a communication standard to inform the charging station how to charge you ebike (like for BEV) as the need to bring a charger with you for multidays trips is for me one of the most relevant limitations of ebikes.

I've thought about this; how about something like keyed bus station lockers with connectors wired inside. Drop in some coin,
put battery in, & come back later with the key when it's charged. I think that might work well.

Actually, only one of them is located in the US. Exactly in Newark, DE, a place where I spent the whole of 1993, working as a PostDoc at the University of Delaware :giggle:

If you zoom in, all the others are in Canada.

Back