Darn Macwheel E Bike from Amazon. Shuts down while riding...

logisticslady79

Local time
12:59 AM
Hi new here, I have a 27" Macwheel Ebike that got from Amazon. It shuts down while riding with a full charge. Can't get the shops to look at it. Mysterious? Anyways I sold to lady that found it was broken please help me diagnose it. Id like for her to be able to use it. Controller? Battery? Etc. please help.

My bike did that, it's a different brand, and it turned out to be the controller.
What brand of motor?

We thought it might of been the brakes so we would disconnect them one at a time and it would perform fine for many miles and then shut down. After several months they sent me a new controller and it has not had an issue.

The reason the controller was bad...my headlight went out so the shop thought it was the wire harness and replaced it, still no light so they swapped out the controller with another bike like mine in the shop. Still no light, wait for it, they finally checked the light and it was bad.
So I had a bad controller because shortly after that my bike would shut down.
I found all this out later after the new controller was installed. I now do all my own repairs.

As it usually is, the key to finding a solution is for YOU to provide more information.

First, how do you KNOW it has a full charge, and do you have a voltmeter?

Next, when it shuts down, can you wait a few seconds, and turn it back on?

What do you do in order to use it again? If you charge it, for how long?

Look at ALL the lights, display, indicators of power. Do they ALL go dark, or do any of them still work?

Does the battery itself have a power led, and or a switch to activate same, and if so, what do these show?

ALL ebikes will shutdown, after a period of time or a number of miles. How long and how far do YOU get before it shuts down?

Is any error message displayed before shutdown?

When it "shuts down", describe EXACTLY what happens.

Lastly, disconnect your ebrake sensing wires and leave them off until the problem is resolved.

I also have a MacWheel 26 inch ebike. I road if for a while last year (and liked it) but it didn't come with the charger so when it ran out of juice it sat out the for the rest of the season. I then found the proper charger and charged it up but it now does not work at all. Meter shows it's not getting any power and light does not light at all so it must be a problem between the battery and the features of the bike. Checked the connections between battery and bike and they look OK. Tried to contact MacWheel but got no response - I fear they are out of business...ANY SUGGESTIONS??

Make sure the battery is not already charged,I had this problem once even disassembled the charger, wouldnt charge and I thought the battery or charger was bad, reseat the battery and try again,I assume your charger is of the correct voltage- around 42 volts for a 36 volt battery, around 54 volts for a 48 volt battery, hope you get it solved.

How long did you store it, and did you connect a voltmeter directly to the battery outputs?

Is this one of those with the battery INSIDE the wheel? If so, likely toast unless you can rebuild the battery yourself, Not cost-effective otherwise.

Horrible, horrible design.

I also have a MacWheel 26 inch ebike. I road if for a while last year (and liked it) but it didn't come with the charger so when it ran out of juice it sat out the for the rest of the season. I then found the proper charger and charged it up but it now does not work at all. Meter shows it's not getting any power and light does not light at all so it must be a problem between the battery and the features of the bike. Checked the connections between battery and bike and they look OK. Tried to contact MacWheel but got no response - I fear they are out of business...ANY SUGGESTIONS??
if they battery sat drained for more than a few days it will cause damage to the battery and its even worse than letting it sit for more than a few days fully charged. But in both cases, it causes the battery to lose charge capacity so even if you fully charge it to the right voltage you will still get a lot fewer amp hours of charge in the battery so it will deplete very quickly which could be the problem if riding it causes the battery to fall below the controllers cut off voltage. I also notice you said you left it out which I'm wondering if you meant you left it sitting OUT as in OUTSIDE all season. which could of caused damage if the battery or the bike got rained on being even water-resistant parts aren't really very waterproof and heavy rain or prolonged rain can get inside the electrical parts and cause shorts.

Back