Advice on upgrading the brakes / rotors on Freesky Himalaya ebike

MTN_MANK92

Local time
6:19 PM
Hello there everyone this will be my first actual post here just wanted to say I'm happy and very excited to be a part of this community and to help out and add to the community is my goal alway

lots of amazing info here those really detailed posts are usually a several hr if not more for some affair mostly done in folks free time while not working or being with kids family etc kudos to all of you!

So basically I purchased (off amazon) a black Friday deal for $1299 its an amazing product overall but half my issue was fedex throwing it and not reading the darn box it was on its side upside down with the shipping skewer poking out nothing was like smashed per say but i had to literally take the smallest millimeter drill bit i own and do surgery drilling out the damn bottom half of the destroyed shipping skewer.

I took pictures contemplating my next move since im disabled and the bikes for getting to the DR and store etc and MAINYLY to build strength which for the record its been amazing for that just roll around in pedal assist 2 or 1 its really easy like that and i had her up to 35 mph flat with only like 24 psi in the tires as i took a little early morning single track trail ride but i have to take it easy as i cant throw too much money at it which brings me to the next point.

As stated the bike really solid overall but has zero braking power i had to bleed the fronts hoping it was just air in the lines better but somehow i lost pressure overnight so im in a rare position to semi-splurge on some either new rotors or a whole new setup id rather just get a kit and maybe keep these hydro Ronlung brakes around i just don't get the fact that they grab hard when working that is but over time i have to grab hard as hell to even get breaking started just weird i checked the usual culprit aka the piston popped out checked again no cigar or issues ther

Id like to purchase any suggestions on amazon ill post my current setup below its a 6 bolt pattern on the rotor mounts and they are 160mm stock, will upgrade the whole deal to some sram or Shimano or maybe even tektro or zoom on the cheap i heard zoom brakes are really solid can anyone guide me to options for possible tires on this bike they are currently CST fat tires the 26in x 4in width modules i need way more grip the cst are ok on road but i do much offroad throughs and even more if i start work at door dash very soon. Open to all suggestions to get this bike TO STOP as cheap as possible or Shimano or sram or similar.

Attachments

• 20230225_020721.jpg
    20230225_020721.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 147
BUMP anyone have any suggestions on a brake upgrade i have some zoom 180mm brakes in a kit on amazon picked out figured id ask here once more.....much apprecited.

Can you specify what you're looking for?

Hydraulic brake kits?

How much do you weigh?

How much cargo weight are you carrying?

Any long distance downhill travels in your typical riding?

BUMP anyone have any suggestions on a brake upgrade i have some zoom 180mm brakes in a kit on amazon picked out figured id ask here once more.....much apprecited.

Welcome to the forums :cool:

200mm Rotor for the front https://www.amazon.com/SRAM-Centerl..._2?keywords=200mm+rotor&qid=1677599102&sr=8-2
With Quad piston calipers for the front https://duckduckgo.com/?q=Magura+MT7+Quad+Piston+Hydraulic+Brakes&t=ffab&ia=web

Just keep the 180mm on the back and upgrade the caliper if ya need to.

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
For what's it worth, I have one bike with mechanical brakes and one with hydraulic brakes. I notice no discernible difference in stopping power IF the rear pad of the mechanical brakes are finely adjusted i.e. as close as possible to the disk. Otherwise with only pressure being applied on the outer pad the disk will distort as it runs through the pads, resulting in inefficient braking.

Might be a dumb question, but have the calipers been correctly aligned to the disks. If not loosen the retaining bolts, apply the brakes, and while holding the brakes retighten the retaining bolts. Poorly aligned calipers are never going to work well, mechanical or hydraulic.
Some of these bikes have had zero care taken with initial setup.

Sorry all for taking so long to reply The Magura Brakes @HumanPerson linked look up my ally a little expensive but they are quad piston with extremely high quality looking craftsmanship and great reviews to boot thanks for those is there anything at a similar price point that may perform in a similar fashion the Magura parts above? Also not sure i said the model of my bike it sure isn't anything by magical dont plan on venturing down that path so not super relevant to my needs here but do appreciate the reply maybe post a magical haters club thread or something and please keep random randomness where it belongs which isn't here lol sorry just feal hijacked a bit with the magics**tzle banter.

Anyways this is a Freesky Himalaya 48volt 15ah Samsung cell battery poped the top to make sure my fun wont stop and the cells are indeed genuine Samsung branded, however, its increasingly apparent that free sky is rather shady ESPECIALLY in the put non as advertised brakes ( they swiftly swapped the listing after i called them out on the false advertisement ) so if anyone has any other models brands in the 4 piston or so 200mm ish catagory id really appreciate it heres some random bantering media from me below showcasing the bike some quick shots. LET DEE GRAMMAR POLEEEZ FEED I LEAVE LIVATIONS FRIENDS!! we alllllll gottta eat !
ebikefreeskymeFRONT SPRING 2023.jpg

Afternoon bump = p Still on the fence in terms of brakes and pads mainly the pads, what pad compound is best for a balance of stopping power and wear? Also could use a recommendation ( preferably off amazon) on a much more hybrid off-on-road oriented front and rear tires and possibly some budget carbon bars ( such as Promax or similar ) that match the downhill style and dimensions etc or close to what's currently installed. I would really appreciate any added input ive got several models in mind on the pads and bars all on amazon my preferred general online store venue the warehouse is 3 or 4 miles down the road things get here regularly in under 24 hrs.

Cheers and have a wonderful day all!

Mtn MANK
EDIT 1:39 pm est 3/14
some random pics may give you all a better perspective bars are UUR brand by the way.

1080p copy ronglunbrakeebike1.jpg
FREESKY_HIMALAYA_750w hardtail grey me 1.jpg
bafangfreeskydisplaycolor1.jpg

I get my brake pads from here....just read carefully the descriptions..

Your comment about getting non-advertised, shady operations? That's what I experienced with Magicycle.. So I apologize for hurting your feelings. And I'm here because I will have to get hydraulics and here I am.
I almost bought a Freesky.
lmfao bud i wasnt charged all i have to say maybe use your next few posts maybe 24 and 25 ( for your refrence little guy itll work out ! i got your back ill poleez myself by typeing with absolutely ASSANDNINE (opps i did a thang!) GRAMMER SKILLZ OR LACK THEREOF WEEE LOOK @ ME GOWWWEEGOO!

Honestly im not a sarcastic grammar free degenerate but really man like you gotta do better than that with only 23 posts.....help dont make THE FIRST IMPRESSION A NEGATIVE ONE JUST RELAX DAWG ITS COOOOL TAKE A BRAKE (lol again god i love myself....) SMELL THE REEFER HAVE SOME HERB.....i mean really it might get your booty pucker to manageable but never comfortable levels ( SORRY homie it aint a mircle drug can induce stupid but wont fix it tisk)

So for us adults and general normal people who dont enjoy wasting others time and eye strain quota ( and yearly laugh dose in one forum sitting needed that my little friend ty so much free dopeamine release yeahhhzeeee! ) LETS CHAT BRAKES !!
@HumanPerson not specificly what i was asking got it figured out so no worries going with some tektro rear pads and doing the above rotors and the new caliper lever setup from amazon linked above.
So im pretty mechanicly inclined ( and enjoy outside oppinons can make one myself but would rather consult peers on things usually ) but yeah im very very stoked to get some ACTUAL stopping power!! But this darn morning i lost ( bad brake fade) most of my rear and currently this is the best and my only mode of transportation, so i sort of dont have a choice but to ride her and risk my ass with no stopping power up front.
dont see the install being too hard never tried reseating the cables nor have i done anything with hydro disc brakes on bikes but bleeds so shouldnt be out of my reach.
ill keep you all posted just trying to make super sure i have all the required things fluid ( tektro mineral oil or shimano if i get the shimano bleed kit i need another other lost in the move revcently along with my bike work stand and some other tools sucks but theyll show up still unpacking ) much love all im mainly poking above but yeah if you want to help someone in general you wouldnt walk up and say " ohhey thereere WHY THE f*** ARE YOU SAY YALL INSTEAD OF "YOU ALL" its like so oxymoronicly comical i couldnt help it but help folks brother theres ZERO NEED FOR THIS in my thread its literally a hijack at this point i wont have it.

Lets get this thread back on topic please!
agreed FROM THE FIRST REPLY its been pretty useless here and over weeks and weeks of bumps its mainly two forum staff with decent answers at ll no offense but literally a waste forums are very obviously the number one troll spot so yeah ill hit up reddit wont be checking this board anymore sorry that verbal abuse is the first thing that comes in mind in a really really postive response lmfao convince me otherwise its tektro or the maguras humanperson linked not clue....

OP did you ever get this sorted out? My GF, father, and Myself all have Himalayas and I can tell you the brakes are not the stars on these bikes.

My bike I upgraded: (thing stops on a dime now)
From rotor with a 203mm and the adapter bracket
I Upgraded the rear rotor with a 180mm Rotor and adapter bracket.
Bled the brake system well
Made sure to clean up the rotors well with rubbing alcohol to get any greases off. my GFs bike had greases on the rear rotor.

My GF's Bike
I bled and cleaned up the rotors really well.
I also upgraded the brake pads on hers to some more aggressive metallic pads. they are a little noisy but do grip much better.

I find my braking is superior to hers, but also more work and parts. All the parts and pads were generic amazon stuff.

My bike I upgraded: (thing stops on a dime now)
From rotor with a 203mm and the adapter bracket
I Upgraded the rear rotor with a 180mm Rotor and adapter bracket.
@Zenoches, would you share a link to the parts you upgraded? My Himalaya, with my 250 lb body fails to stop coming down my street. I'd like the safety and peace of mind that this thing can stop. Thanks!

@Zenoches, would you share a link to the parts you upgraded? My Himalaya, with my 250 lb body fails to stop coming down my street. I'd like the safety and peace of mind that this thing can stop. Thanks!
Here is the rotors I used . I ordered a 180mm for the rear and 203 for the front.

Bynccea Bike Disc Brake Rotor 160mm 180mm 203mm Bicycle Rotors with 6 Bolts for MTB BMX Mountain Road Bikes https://a.co/d/8qqAefV

And 2 of these adapters: it uses the same one for 180mm on rear.

BUCKLOS PM/is Front Rear... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08D9KTN6C?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

In addition, I did end up bleeding my brakes both front and back.

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
One of the easiest, and least expensive ways to greatly improve breaking power is to increase the size of your rotor. I changed all the one's no my bikes to 203mm. On my fastest bike I went with 220mm. All that's needed is the rotor, and an adapter to space out the caliper.

I don't think the issue is the brake rotors honestly. I have the same bike (bought it March of this year) and I ride the hell out of it through trails, jumps, extremely rugged terrain and have never had a braking issue. I live about 20 minutes from the Santos trailhead.

I do have to "pump" the front brakes to get maximum braking (probably a bleeding issue) but other than that, the bike comes down from speed extremely well.

I've maxed mine out at 36.3mph full tilt boogie.

Back