clicking battery wire

ved

New member
Local time
9:36 PM
Joined
May 13, 2023
Messages
4
Location
United Kingdom
I recently purchased a custom built e-bike. though I didn't like the bike it came on, I removed the kit being extremely careful and o ly disconnecting wires that were connected and isolating any others, when I attempted to plug the battery the connector is making a loud clicking sound as if its blowing.

this wire here, anyone know why?
 

Attachments

  • received_609169517778092.jpeg
    received_609169517778092.jpeg
    87 KB · Views: 101
  • 20230815_131942.jpg
    20230815_131942.jpg
    329.6 KB · Views: 98
I'm not very clued In on any of this, I always followed instructions and it's been easy but this is a kit I've never worked with and im just clueless i guess. what does that mean mate?
electrical arcing is when electricity jumps from one connection to another.
More reading here:

 
When i connect my battery to the controller i get a pretty big pop, i use a 60v 45ah and a 60v 35ah batteries to run my ebike motors though.
I use XT-90AS (Anti-Spark) connectors and still get that huge spark/pop.

Is yours continuously making that popping sound?
 
First, if I knew what the voltage was, I could tell you roughly how much of a problem this is, which it really, most likely, is not, but since you failed to include any useful information whatsoever, that would be just a guess, other than to tell you, that whoever connected those pigtails with the electrical tape instead of heatshrink, almost certainly the person who built the entire bike, is sloppy and unprofessional, and there are decent odds the bike you bought contains multiple potential serious issues.

Good luck, and invest in smoke detectors and fire insurance.
 
When i connect my battery to the controller i get a pretty big pop, i use a 60v 45ah and a 60v 35ah batteries to run my ebike motors though.
I use XT-90AS (Anti-Spark) connectors and still get that huge spark/pop.

Is yours continuously making that popping sound?
only when I connect the two wires together then there's no response from throttle, which again it worked fine on the other bike
 
First, if I knew what the voltage was, I could tell you roughly how much of a problem this is, which it really, most likely, is not, but since you failed to include any useful information whatsoever, that would be just a guess, other than to tell you, that whoever connected those pigtails with the electrical tape instead of heatshrink, almost certainly the person who built the entire bike, is sloppy and unprofessional, and there are decent odds the bike you bought contains multiple potential serious issues.

Good luck, and invest in smoke detectors and fire insurance.
you need to relax. I would provide the information if you asked for it mate.

it's a 48v controller 52v 20ah battery.

again worked but then stopped when put onto this bike
 
SO, is your problem that you want to solve, the clicking noise? Or the no response from throttle? Is this the same problem as it stopped working on the new bike, or is that something else?

How old is it, how much do you weigh, how much did the previous owner weigh, how long did he have it, did it ever work when you owned it, how long have you had it, has it gotten wet, and did anything unusual other than the clicking noise ever happen in your presence?

Does anything light up when you plug in the battery, is there a voltage readout on the throttle, does the throttle have any lights at all, is there a power indicator on the battery, have you turned it off, then on again after the click, and how long have you waited to test again after the click?

I have more questions, but we'll see how you do with those.

All of that, ALL OF IT, are things you should have supplied in your very first post, in order for YOU, to get YOUR PROBLEM, solved.
 
As I understand it, the capacitors in the motor draw power as soon the battery wiring is connected. This causes some degree of sparking. It can be mitigated by using anti spark XT90 connectors. What you have are XT60 connectors. Only thing that may help those is putting dielectric grease on them. It is also possible there is a short somewhere. If you leave the plugs connected, you can feel for components warming up due to the short.
 
Back
Top