C3 Strom Asto Deluxe - Full Charge, No Function, Display shows 0%

Tiamat8270

Local time
4:38 AM
I have a C3 Strom Asto Deluxe. It was great for the few weeks it worked. The battery itself shows as charged. The display shows 00%. There is no motor/throttle feedback. The company sent me a new charger, which did nothing, then a new control module, which did nothing. Does anyone have any general or specific advice to give? It was great when it worked, but not it has not worked longer than it has and is frustrating as hell repeatedly waiting on random guesswork and parts that take weeks to come.

1. You don't say how old it is.
2. Where it was bought from
3. If under guarantee

To answer any questions the full story is needed

To best help you ... please understand PARTS AND BATTERIES RARELY FAIL IN 2-# Weeks - UNLESS YOU RODE IN THE RAIN/SNOW ?

1. You turn your bike off

2. use the key to remove the battery to charge it off the bike - correct ?

3. You plug the 4A charger into the wall - THEN plug it into the battery - correct ?

4. The Charger turns Red - thenabout how long how does it take for the charger to turn green ?

5 You disconnect the Charger from the Battery - you then unplug the charger from the wall.

6. You check the Battery LED lights and they indicate Full - correct ?

7. BEFORE you reinstall the battery - unplug ea cable running into the back of the display - and then TAKE GREAT CARE to reinstall ea cable correctly (REPEAT GREAT CARE)

6. You reinstall the battery and check its seated into the bracket securely

7. You Turn your bike back on - NOW what happens ?

1. 3 months.
2. C3 Strom is direct order only. Looks like designed with offices in California, made in Hong Kong?
3. Is under warranty.

No rain, no snow, garage kept. Only 18 or so miles on it. Only ridden twice.
1. Yes
2. I do/did not remove the battery to charge it. Is that common practice? The general operation manual sucks and didn't mention it. And the company had me send them video of me charging it/plugging in/showing issue and never mentioned removal.
3. Yes, and it is not an outlet issue/GFI issue
4. In seconds.
5. Yes
6. Yes, they indicate full.
7. OK, I will try that. I did unplug and replug, but not with battery removed.
8. Have done that.

I will check on that today and go through those processes. Thanks for the suggestions!

Sorry to sound like a Drill Instructor - the Fault could with "connections":

1. Battery/Battery-Cradle: It is common - but not required - to remove the battery for charging.Your eBike needs to BE OFF to remove or reinstall the battery.
The battery slides in/out of the cradle - and that cradle connection needs to be solid/tight.

2. Display Connections: the connection points here are to make disconnect the cable(s) connection(s) - and to reconnect TAKING GREAT CARE that the connecting plugs/pins are lined up correctyl - these can can get tricky - with correct pin/connector alignment - the connector has to be seated with "full hard press" to assure solid connection to the display. (Incorrect pin/connector alignment is NOT GOOD and bent pins become a issue)

3. Controller Connections: less common - but check - same notes a display connections

1. 3 months.
2. C3 Strom is direct order only. Looks like designed with offices in California, made in Hong Kong?
3. Is under warranty.

No rain, no snow, garage kept. Only 18 or so miles on it. Only ridden twice.
1. Yes
2. I do/did not remove the battery to charge it. Is that common practice? The general operation manual sucks and didn't mention it. And the company had me send them video of me charging it/plugging in/showing issue and never mentioned removal.
3. Yes, and it is not an outlet issue/GFI issue
4. In seconds.
5. Yes
6. Yes, they indicate full.
7. OK, I will try that. I did unplug and replug, but not with battery removed.
8. Have done that.

I will check on that today and go through those processes. Thanks for the suggestions!

Then return it no need to ask for help

Sorry to sound like a Drill Instructor - the Fault could with "connections":

1. Battery/Battery-Cradle: It is common - but not required - to remove the battery for charging.Your eBike needs to BE OFF to remove or reinstall the battery.
The battery slides in/out of the cradle - and that cradle connection needs to be solid/tight.

2. Display Connections: the connection points here are to make disconnect the cable(s) connection(s) - and to reconnect TAKING GREAT CARE that the connecting plugs/pins are lined up correctyl - these can can get tricky - with correct pin/connector alignment - the connector has to be seated with "full hard press" to assure solid connection to the display. (Incorrect pin/connector alignment is NOT GOOD and bent pins become a issue)

3. Controller Connections: less common - but check - same notes a display connections

So, for some background, I am familiar with the harness and pin systems as they are very similar to those with marine electronics which I have some experience with.

I removed battery, disconnected display, charged battery, reconnected display, tested it and it shows full on the battery LED, then put it back in. Still the 00% on display and no function on throttle.

Replaced the control module with a new one, and multiple times verified the harnesses are all correct. This did nothing.

My concern is the bike cane 2/3 assembled. I think it may be a bad line somewhere between the control/battery and the display, all of which are inside the frame.

This is my first E-Bike. Are they similar enough that I would be able to take this to one of the nearby e-bike shops, and even don't sell the model, they be able to diagnose and fix? Or are they all pretty unique?

If you have a volt meter, check that charger is putting out the proper voltage - 54.6 for 48 volt systems and 58.8 for 52 volt systems. Then check the battery voltage. If both are good, then you can focus on troubleshooting the bike’s wiring and components.

Back