Bosch algorithm?

pagheca

Local time
11:51 PM
Hi All,

I would like to understand what algorithm Bosch uses to calculate how much power to provide in different situations and what inputs it relies on. I imagine that the motor reads (at least) 1) the torque applied on the pedals, 2) the setting (eco, tour, etc...), 3) the speed of the bike and 4) the cadence (not sure about that). And then, based on some algorithm decides how much torque to apply in any situation. But maybe there are other sensors, or things are more complex than that to smooth the power curve.

I'm also trying to figure out whether on a steep climb (i.e., at low speed) anything changes in terms of energy consumption if one lowers the speed or change the ratio. I have the impression that it doesn't change much because each reduction in power input from the motor corresponds to a proportionally longer time to cover the same elevation difference, and as Energy = Power x Time the results remain the same. Obviously neglecting friction, which is why I was saying steep climbs, because that way the speed is low.

I tried to do some experiments in the field, but it is not easy because even if I used the exact same route, I would hardly be able to apply the same motor torque to the pedals with each setting, but got the impressione that the setting just tell the motor how much percentage of energy to add to the poor guy pedaling (aka, me).

I guess this algorithm is a well-kept secret, but maybe someone has at least a vague idea of how it works. I mean mathematically, not in broad strokes.

Back