Battery Arcing?

leehop71

Local time
11:08 AM
I think I have decided on how to handle the battery concerns except for one lingering issue.

All electric bike manufacturers give the user an option to charge the battery ON or OFF the bike.

I’ve also heard the arcing fire issue, caused from disconnecting and reconnecting the battery from the bike. The articles I’ve read suggest to keep the battery ON the bike ALL the time. Including charging it to keep it from arcing.

Common sense tells me that the arcing issue must be such a minuscule issue, otherwise, manufacturers would not offer the option to remove the battery!?!

What say you?

I charge min on the bike cause they are hell to get off. One is in the seat pillar for instance, The other is inside the tube. Plus the less amount of times you remove them the less chance of damage.

I charge min on the bike cause they are hell to get off. One is in the seat pillar for instance, The other is inside the tube. Plus the less amount of times you remove them the less chance of damage.
Where are you located tf?

My concern is the 5 months a year in SW Florida with the brutal heat/humidity!

Summer Northern NY State and Winter in North Carolina.

More batteries now have an on/off switch on the battery itself, so no arcing. I have not seen any on my bike with normal removable battery.

I have no background in electronics, so my response is simply that of someone that reads the manual and rides an eBike.

My Yamaha has an easily removable battery and the manual simply states that you can charge the battery on or off the bike. They also recommend removing the battery for transport, so my thought is that at least in the case of a Yamaha eBike, there is no negative to removing the battery and I have never experienced any arcing. I suppose that the various manufacturers use a variety of circuitry and some are more likely to have an arcing issue than others.

Back