Who has gone into Winter Mode?

Canada's North, The Yukon, and I'll be riding until it's too cold to run my Cobra (-15C or 4F is the lowest recommended temp from what I've read). We are at -7C today with snow, although less than normal.
I've installed studded fats, the "summer" tires are 26"x4.8" and my studded winters are 4.6" (Terrene Cake Eaters)
Pogies or warm gloves, balaclava, eye protection (goggles or sport glasses), and light winter boots.

Attachments

• 20231104_082126.jpg
    20231104_082126.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 41
  • 398875270_10159617275376461_899625854919414722_n.jpg
    398875270_10159617275376461_899625854919414722_n.jpg
    178.7 KB · Views: 43
  • Snow Run-Thumbnail.jpg
    Snow Run-Thumbnail.jpg
    179.6 KB · Views: 41
Just went for a ride this afternoon with Biscuit, she's a three year old pyrenes and marema. It was 19F -7C. My usual ride out to the mail boxes and then up the county road, round trip today was only six miles. In the summer I can go somewhere around ten miles one way, in the winter I can only go about five one way. It was a really beautiful day but clouds were covering the mountains. I started out thinking I was over dressed but by the time I got home I was definitely glad I had everything on that I did.

The new heated gloves are really nice! I had them off until I turned around at the top of the first hill, that's really the first I noticed my hands getting cold, these gloves are really warm even without the heat on. I then had them on high the whole way home and my hands were toasty! I was going to get heated insoles for my feet but I recently got invited to be an Amazon Vine member where you get to choose free stuff in exchange for writing a review and on the second or third page was rechargeable heated socks! I think they are coming today or tomorrow! My feet were warm enough for the short time we were out today but they were just starting to be cold when I got home so the socks will be good to have when out in the cold longer and for lower temps.

The only issue I had was my head got pretty cold coming down the hill, even though I wasn't going fast. I need to tape over the front vents in my helmet with painters tape and I should be fine. Biscuit got some pretty good snow balls built up in her paws, she had to stop and chew them out at one point, I'm going to have to get her some sled dog booties I guess, I'm going to start looking.

I'll post some more with pictures, should be clear tomorrow.

Just went for a ride this afternoon with Biscuit, she's a three year old pyrenes and marema. It was 19F -7C. My usual ride out to the mail boxes and then up the county road, round trip today was only six miles. In the summer I can go somewhere around ten miles one way, in the winter I can only go about five one way. It was a really beautiful day but clouds were covering the mountains. I started out thinking I was over dressed but by the time I got home I was definitely glad I had everything on that I did.

The new heated gloves are really nice! I had them off until I turned around at the top of the first hill, that's really the first I noticed my hands getting cold, these gloves are really warm even without the heat on. I then had them on high the whole way home and my hands were toasty! I was going to get heated insoles for my feet but I recently got invited to be an Amazon Vine member where you get to choose free stuff in exchange for writing a review and on the second or third page was rechargeable heated socks! I think they are coming today or tomorrow! My feet were warm enough for the short time we were out today but they were just starting to be cold when I got home so the socks will be good to have when out in the cold longer and for lower temps.

The only issue I had was my head got pretty cold coming down the hill, even though I wasn't going fast. I need to tape over the front vents in my helmet with painters tape and I should be fine. Biscuit got some pretty good snow balls built up in her paws, she had to stop and chew them out at one point, I'm going to have to get her some sled dog booties I guess, I'm going to start looking.

I'll post some more with pictures, should be clear tomorrow.

:)
Amazon has them,

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Yea, but I wouldn't want to be where you are come August.:)
On the surface, your idea is quite sound. I have a single modifier here. I live at a mile of altitude, so the air is dryer and cooler than Tucson or Phoenix (about 10-15 degrees cooler than Phoenix). But yet, far enough South, we avoid the worst of the Winter.

Many of us in the northern parts of the world are setting their eBikes up for storage: discharging the battery to ~50% and bringing it inside.

Others (like) me are bundling up and preparing to go ride as often as we can throughout the winter, to help avoid the Winter Blues and stay in shape.

Today, it was 29 °F (-1.7 °C) where I live this morning. The high temperature will be 39 °F. (3.9 °C) So for this morning's commute, I hung up my heavily-vented bike helmet and donned the ski helmet. (Covers the ears, with a lot fewer vents, and they're close-able) I went to my mid-weight gloves; somewhere between running gloves and ski gloves. (Could've gone with ski gloves) Regular work pants and shoes, as my commute's only 2 miles.

What will you do?

If you type a reply, please say where you live. I'm in SE Wisconsin.

I have just ordered these to swap for my "Continental Double fighters" so I can carry on.

Surface
Sand & dry forest paths / Wet forest paths & roots

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
On the surface, your idea is quite sound. I have a single modifier here. I live at a mile of altitude, so the air is dryer and cooler than Tucson or Phoenix (about 10-15 degrees cooler than Phoenix). But yet, far enough South, we avoid the worst of the Winter.
Sounds nice, Superstition Mountains maybe?

Yea, I figured they would but I have a friend here who used to run sled dogs, she would have as many as twenty dogs at a time. I am going to check with her to see what the pros use. Biscuit is a big dog and I don't want something that might cause her to slip and injure a knee or something.
The large majority of Yukon Quest mushers up here just use fleece booties, and go through dozens during a Winter.
If you want something with more traction, then the hiking specific type booties might be more what you are looking for?

I'm in central Maryland and have only ridden down to mid 50's F. I might try going when it's a little colder but not by much.

Back