Troubleshooting a ebike problem?

DieselTech

Local time
6:19 PM
Ok guys & gals, I'm new to this ebike game, & my ebike developed a 05 brake code error. I'm a certified auto/diesel tech, but this is all new to me.

Just for your info, the bike has been dropped/laid over 2 times while riding it. But the 05 code did not appear till a couple weeks later when I stopped at a stop sign & went to take off.

I only get 16mph in PAS 5, or with the hand throttle. So I followed a couple procedures from Freego to check display settings & everything was in check.
So I've looked the wiring over & appears to be fine. There is a vid on my problem on the Freego F3 Pro Max problem thread.

My question is: How do I need to go about this to troubleshoot my problem? What & how can I check things over.

I'm not sure if these ebikes supply power from the brake levers or cut power to the brake levers for the controller function.

I got Fluke meters & amp clamps, test lights for testing equipment. Where & what needs checked?

Can someone offer some help or expertise on the issue.

Thanks any & all help will be great appreciated.
20231110_011349.jpg

Brake lever switches are normally open. When you pull the brake lever it closes the switch. You can troubleshoot the brake lever switches by just disconnecting them. The bike should run fine with them disconnected. If your problem is not related to programing, it sounds like a bad controller. Make sure your battery is in good condition, and the voltage is correct before changing any components.

Brake lever switches are normally open. When you pull the brake lever it closes the switch. You can troubleshoot the brake lever switches by just disconnecting them. The bike should run fine with them disconnected. If your problem is not related to programing, it sounds like a bad controller. Make sure your battery is in good condition, and the voltage is correct before changing any components.
Ok I'll try that & see what results I get. I'm suspecting bad controller/controllers.

How do them brake mirco switches work, do you know if they cut power or power on/up. I guess my question is: is there voltage on them brake levers when they are open or closed? Brakes Applied?

Thanks Biknut.

This is a good eBike diagnostic tool. You can check every electrical component with it.

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
This is a good eBike diagnostic tool. You can check every electrical component with it.
Yeah I've been meaning to purchase 1 of them. I'll try & get 1 ordered 2mrow.

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Ok I'll try that & see what results I get. I'm suspecting bad controller/controllers.

How do them brake mirco switches work, do you know if they cut power or power on/up. I guess my question is: is there voltage on them brake levers when they are open or closed? Brakes Applied?

Thanks Biknut.
I think you're overthinking it a little bit. All you need to know is the brake lever switches are open when you're not using the brake, and close with you pull the lever. When the switch closes it sends a signal to the controller to cut power to the motor. If the switches are disconnected, they never tell the controller to cut power.

I think you're overthinking it a little bit. All you need to know is the brake lever switches are open when you're not using the brake, and close with you pull the lever. When the switch closes it sends a signal to the controller to cut power to the motor. If the switches are disconnected, they never tell the controller to cut power.
Ok I checked battery voltage, it's straight up 50.0volts. With both brake levers disconnected I still get 16.3mph freeload speed. I'm suspecting bad controllers.

The bike is under warranty & I'm waiting on a reply back from the company, which I know wont be till 2mrow afternoon.

I do know the service tech that set my bike up, set it up "Hot!" Cause I asked him too. The service tech set controller amperage to the Max Setting of 23amps. Controllers are 23 amps max.

Since this bike is a dual motor/dual controller ebike. Can I disconnect the battery power to 1 of the controllers at a time, to eliminate what side the problem may be on? Will it hurt anything?

Or is there a better connection to disconnect? For troubleshooting purposes?

Thanks.
20231112_122226.jpg
20231112_122241.jpg

For some reason i'd disconnect the rear controller first then see what happens with only the front motor/controller assembly.
That assembly alone should get you back up to the 26mph area i'd think ...keep us posted bro!

I forgot to include this on my 1st post. But 05 error code only shows on the display when I try to do a speed/mph unlock. Its procedure is grab & hold a brake lever while turning the display on. Then you continue to hold the brake for 10 seconds or longer to unlock full speed. Then release the brake. Dont matter which brake lever is used either.

That sounds like a good idea to try each controller separately, and see if there's any difference. Dual motors don't really make the bike much faster top speed wise, but they give it a lot more torque.

Got the bike fixed, dont know what the heck it was. But I worked it pretty hard today without any flaws or hiccups.

Still get a 05 brake error when trying to do a speed unlock. So I'll email Freego & see what they tell me.

I dont know if a ebike controller can have a glitch or what. But at least I'm back to riding.
20231113_150847.jpg
20231113_151306.jpg

Got the bike fixed, dont know what the heck it was. But I worked it pretty hard today without any flaws or hiccups.

Still get a 05 brake error when trying to do a speed unlock. So I'll email Freego & see what they tell me.

I dont know if a ebike controller can have a glitch or what. But at least I'm back to riding. View attachment 12046View attachment 12047

What was it? lol

I'm not sure what it was. I did pull the complete wiring harness down, then disconnected & connected all the connectors. Then tidied the wiring up a bit. Made it a bit more easy to work on.
I swear sometimes i think wires/connections come loose or possibly some oxidation causes havoc til we take it all apart, clean and reassemble...BOOM!

lol

Good job bro now hopefully that wont happen again. Still want to know bout the brake error though..

You gonna get new controllers bro, justr to be on the safe side eh?

I swear sometimes i think wires/connections come loose or possibly some oxidation causes havoc til we take it all apart, clean and reassemble...BOOM!

lol

Good job bro now hopefully that wont happen again. Still want to know bout the brake error though..

You gonna get new controllers bro, justr to be on the safe side eh?
I'm not sure I'm going to email Freego back here in a bit, cause they wanted to know if this last speed unlock/programming shortcut would fix it. They told me to try this procedure & disregard the 05 brake error for now.

So that's what I did. Plus I did inspect every inch of the wiring harness. Lmao it's like ten miles long.

I swear sometimes, trying to explain to a Ebike company! How their own bike operates or at least you think. Can be aggravating!!!

I'm trying to explain to them, that if: I disconnect both brake switch connectors my bike wont function/move until it sees the brake switch input. Then if I plug the brake switches back in, I get a 05 brake error code & it automatically locks the bike to 16mph.

Back