They got pulled over for no reason??

It is a shame when police don't enforce laws equally and apply them when they feel like it. Sometimes it's criminal.
With them being short-staffed these days, they have to pick their battles. That guy could have ticketed most of those riders, but it would have taken hours that he could have spent doing something else that was more worth his time. Maybe in a smaller town, he would've had time?

These days, politicians are making it harder and harder for police to do their jobs.

I have a buddy who is a Chicago cop and he said they'll hire anyone without a criminal record and who can pass police academy. Unlimited overtime, when desired. Some perp purposely backed into him a few months ago and broke his leg. That guy's in jail for attempted murder, but it's one cop off the street and one more perp filling up the overcrowded prison system. There's no good answer except better parenting, and that's going to take awhile to have the desired effect.

Who is going to parent all the hotshot adults (40+yo) riding e-motorbikes on trails/MUP's above the 15mph limit (on most)?

Bottom line is people choose not to follow rules they don't like. Then ridicule those who do. Crazy. No justifications carry credibility. Just license them and ride 'em on the streets when power exceeds e-bicycle laws. Pretty simple. Even for police.

In this case one guy apparently didn't have the prerequisite pedals, but park officer didn't seem to know that until he called in to his supervisor.

This reminds me of the old days when a highway patrol officer would pull a whole group of motorcycles over just to check that everyone's helmet had certification stickers.
You from ny or ct? They used to do this every Sunday on rt684 at the Danbury CT line. Every Sunday was a bike show and get together for years.

You from ny or ct? They used to do this every Sunday on rt684 at the Danbury CT line. Every Sunday was a bike show and get together for years.
No I live in Texas. One time I did ride my Road King to Laconia though.

No I live in Texas. One time I did ride my Road King to Laconia though.
The police were famous for checking everything as stupid as a dot stickers on helmets just to deter folks every Sunday. Thousands of bikers came out to these shows. It was like a mini bike week event every Sunday. I used to show my Harley at these events back in the late 90’s .

I find it very annoying to have someone pass me on a trail throttling rather than peddling. I like to feel my legs pumping. I do not want license plates on the back of my bicycles. To much control. If too many e-bike riders push the limit, police will act and stop people. If you don’t want to peddle get a scooter. My 60 year old legs need a bit of help up some hills. I got off a red light camera fine in Sydney Australia because I was STOPPED looking for a street sign, just across the line. The camera fined people despite the fact late at night there was NO TRAFFIC.

Another thing they could do is what they do in Denmark (?). Make the traffic ticket fines proportional to the person's income.
Several European countries (all Scandinavian, Germany, Austria, among others) apply the same criteria. I found it right, as long as tax evasion in under control. Actually, I found this an excellent idea, because otherwise some people may consider fines as operating costs for their business.

… My 60 year old legs need a bit of help up some hills. …
I’m waiting for a fellow bike club member to go for a road bike (Mechanical only) ride now.

I’m 47, she’s at least 67 and can leave me in the dust any time she wants. (and I’m no slouch, I can average 16 mph over 50 miles) She’s light and super fit; that’s all it takes. There are people in my club in the late 70s who don’t need electric help climbing hills.

I’m not putting you down, just saying that age is just one factor, and an easy one to overcome, if there aren’t other ones that are too bad.

Back