Swapping out Rear Hub motor

xennyzen

Local time
6:55 AM
Hey guys , im new here. Nice to meet everyone! I currently try have a velotric nomad 1. And I am hoping to switch the current rear hub motor out for a 1500w motor. Im looking to go faster because this is my commuter. I was wondering if anyone had tips or ideas on this process. It's pretty hard to find a rear hub motor alone. Most of them involve a DIY kit for a regular bicycle. If I was to do that could I just take the motor and plug it into my bikes current wiring? If not where is best place to buy the motor alone. My current motor is 750 and I know the peak is around 1200. Something I really don't understand. Let's say I got a bagang 1000w motor, would it have a higher peak or do companies label it according to minimum or highest wattage? And would a 1000w motor get me fast enough to go 35mph[which is my goal] I appreciate the help. Thank you!

I think the best is to buy the motor/wheel combo. A 1500 W motor is most likely going to be a larger diameter than your 750 W that you have now, and so will require shorter spokes, etc. Spokes will likely be thicker too, to handle the extra torque.

Watch the width, too.

Also, remember that your bike was designed for 750 W speeds. If you double the power and add some weight, will your brakes still be up to the job?

Lastly, a lot of US municipalities limit the definition of eBike to 750 W. Might even be federal. You might be in a pinch if you get radar'd going 40 mph on your bike and get ticketed as having an unlicensed motorcycle. Use your judgment of course, but that day will eventually come: You'll be cruising along, keeping up with traffic, happy with yourself and your work, when Officer Friendly will light you up and ruin your day. Best case is that he lets you off with a warning and tells you to go back to the 750 W. He will KNOW you've got more than 750 W in your hub. (it'll probably be marked as such)

California and Texas are already stopping eBikes they suspect if being over powered. Federal parks already are imposing restrictions on Ebike use while in the park but I believe those are mostly restrictions prohibiting their use on walking trails.

It all started in England but it has moved here.

I took have been warning people how those 60 and 72 volt eBikes are crossing into the realm of motorcycles - Except riders are travelling without insurance or a motorcycle license. And rarely do I see riders wearing safety gear needed for motorcyclists.

Back