Replace a throttle with a aftermarket& different color wires.

J

James340

Original has red brown and orange.Replacement has the typical black red and green.I understand that the battery+ has voltage.Can I check the wires with out damage to the motor hall sensor?I know how else to identify what wire goes where.Thanks for your time

The bike is a 2013 Emotion with a Wuxing throttle & screw together connection.I thought more complete info in order.Thanks for your time

Original has red brown and orange.Replacement has the typical black red and green.I understand that the battery+ has voltage.Can I check the wires with out damage to the motor hall sensor?I know how else to identify what wire goes where.Thanks for your time
You can buy one of these eBike diagnostic tools on Amazon. With it you can test most of the components on an eBike including the throttle.
eBike diagnostic tool.jpg

Use your multimeter
Check your wire for input voltage then,
Then move to ohms find your ground wire,
Then your third wire will be the sensor from throttle.

I can get to the controller and ground there.Cant get to the battery while it's on the bike.

The most 'professional' way is to attach an independent 5V power supply to each throttle to determine the wiring arranging. You can just about guarantee the reds will match being the positive side. So simply attach the negative side of your power source to the browns and black (on the guess they are the negative) and check for a voltage rise on the green/orange with a multi meter (earthed to the brown/black) as you twist the throttle.

Now I can hear you thinking, all very good if you have expensive electronic gear. If you keep all your old phone chargers go check them and see if there is a 5V one among them. Simply cut the output plug of the end, strip back a bit of the insulation and fit a couple small alligator clips, and you now have a 5V power source that will prove infinitely invaluable for doing exactly the sort of thing you are wanting to do a typical ebike. A $10 multi meter from a big barn hardware store is sufficient.

Back