Possible eWhizzer build?

nightember444

Local time
4:44 PM
I've been refurbishing this old bicycle I have and wanted to either make it a motorized bike or an ebike that I could use to get to and from work, home, and school. I'd like to be able to get it up to if not close to public road speed limits with the highest being 55 mph in my area. I was also inspired by an On The Roam episode to make the bike look like it has the elements of a motorized bike by using a gas tank as storage for electrical components or for the battery. I would like to also mention that I'm very new to the powered bike scene whether it's a gas powered motor or an electric motor. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• 20230527_194423.jpg
    20230527_194423.jpg
    433.6 KB · Views: 12
I've been refurbishing this old bicycle I have and wanted to either make it a motorized bike or an ebike that I could use to get to and from work, home, and school. I'd like to be able to get it up to if not close to public road speed limits with the highest being 55 mph in my area. I was also inspired by an On The Roam episode to make the bike look like it has the elements of a motorized bike by using a gas tank as storage for electrical components or for the battery. I would like to also mention that I'm very new to the powered bike scene whether it's a gas powered motor or an electric motor. Any advice is greatly appreciated!
1st thing I want to say as being a motorbike nut. If you want to touch that 55mph line, you are going to need a good set of wheels built. Also do not skimp on the brakes.

good 4 stroke frame ...

55mph on a bicycle will be wild....be sure to wear a helmet :)

a 2000w hub motor with a 60v 40ah battery will get you to around 45mph but man your battery will need to be pretty big to support that kind of speeds....then there is alot more to deal with.

I'm not trying to talk you out of this but if you'd be happy with 30 to 35 MPH you could get a nice 1500w hub drive motor
and a 52v 35ah battery on that bike will surely do the 30-35MPH

good 4 stroke frame ...

55mph on a bicycle will be wild....be sure to wear a helmet :)

a 2000w hub motor with a 60v 40ah battery will get you to around 45mph but man your battery will need to be pretty big to support that kind of speeds....then there is alot more to deal with.

I'm not trying to talk you out of this but if you'd be happy with 30 to 35 MPH you could get a nice 1500w hub drive motor
and a 52v 35ah battery on that bike will surely do the 30-35MPH
Yeah I definitely agree that 55mph is pretty out there. I think even getting it to 15 or 20mph would be a good place to start. Thank you for the advice!

Yeah I definitely agree that 55mph is pretty out there. I think even getting it to 15 or 20mph would be a good place to start. Thank you for the advice!
Nawt really out there..it just takes a bit more money and the right equipment setup correctly.

Alot of peeps do things differently ....for instance, I'd put a 1000w or a 1500w hub motor on your bike,
with a big battery of prolly 52v 40ah.. i like alot of saddle time :)

That way i'd know to be able tp get to at least 30mph around town and the hill climbing will be great.

BUT!!
A four stroke would be nice in your bike as well :)

If ya look through me pics you'll see the silver bike with a mid drive on it...that ebike gets around 100+ miles per charge and does
22mph on the "ROAD" setting and it does 30mph on the "OFFROAD" settings. I also pedal that one more than the other 2 ;)

Nawt really out there..it just takes a bit more money and the right equipment setup correctly.

Alot of peeps do things differently ....for instance, I'd put a 1000w or a 1500w hub motor on your bike,
with a big battery of prolly 52v 40ah.. i like alot of saddle time :)

That way i'd know to be able tp get to at least 30mph around town and the hill climbing will be great.

BUT!!
A four stroke would be nice in your bike as well :)
If I knew more about electrics I would try to figure out a way to hook up multiple milwaukee batteries. I'm also very much so considering motors and looking in depth at the motorized bicycle forums. Thank you, again!

I wouldn't recommend using that bike for either gas or electric conversion. The main reason is it only has a coaster break on the rear wheel, which would not be suitable for either conversion. Find something with disc brakes if possible to be your basic bike to convert.

Back