New to E-bikes....

Rambo_Of_PA

Local time
9:18 AM
mountain biked a lot earlier in my life but haven't for more than 25-30 (+/-) years....life got in the way....still have a black 26" DiamondBack mountain bike I bought in '89 for $590 in my shed collecting dust....wife passed away Mar. '20 and thought I might give E-bikes a try if I can find an affordable one....any suggestions for a 63 year old that doesn't look or feel like a 63 year old are greatly appreciated....thanks!

mountain biked a lot earlier in my life but haven't for more than 25-30 (+/-) years....life got in the way....still have a black 26" DiamondBack mountain bike I bought in '89 for $590 in my shed collecting dust....wife passed away Mar. '20 and thought I might give E-bikes a try if I can find an affordable one....any suggestions for a 63 year old that doesn't look or feel like a 63 year old are greatly appreciated....thanks!
Welcome to the forums man :cool:

Thx....not sure when I'll be getting an E-bike since they are much more expensive than I thought....but hopefully it won't be too long....
Welcome to the forums. Just keep plugging along, I waited 4+years to be able to purchase a ebike. I think its arriving 2day finally.

Hi and welcome to the forum!
I’m 62yo. I do have back/neck issues and minor knee issues. I’m really active. I’m in a similar boat as you. I have two very nice bikes in my garage collecting dust. A touring bike and full suspension mountain bike. Big money in both. But they are difficult for me to ride comfortably any longer. I might try the mountain bike again. We will see.
So far I’ve purchased 8 e-bikes and built one custom mid-drive e-bike.
I do not live in an area that is mountainous or has tall long hills. If you are going to do serious off-roading or hill climbing opt for a mid-drive. But otherwise hub motors are fine.
I have finally settled on a 1000watt 9-speed fat tire bike with front air fork. It uses combined cadence and torque sensors for pedal input. It’s made by JUICED and they are clearancing their silver full frame version and yellow step through version. $1499 & $1399 respectively. It’s called a “RipCurrent S”. They also sell an upgraded controller that is 2000watt and allows throttle control past the normally limited 20mph.
This is a killer deal for a 1000watt bike with torque sensor. I’m think they are on sale until they are gone. I purchased both of those bikes for my wife and I. The only negative is that the hydraulic brakes they come with aren’t great. A pad swap and 203mm rotor for the front helps quite a bit. But I opted to install Magura MTE5 4-piston brakes. The code to get the $100 off is VIP100 or if you were military, first responder, medical, teacher or student they have a link to get a $100 off code from VerifyPass.
There are several videos on YouTube for this bike. But they recently upgraded to the 1000watt hub so not much on YouTube about that. Also these bikes come with a whopping 52v 19.2ah battery. Here are the links if you are interested.

Hi and welcome to the forum!
I’m 62yo. I do have back/neck issues and minor knee issues. I’m really active. I’m in a similar boat as you. I have two very nice bikes in my garage collecting dust. A touring bike and full suspension mountain bike. Big money in both. But they are difficult for me to ride comfortably any longer. I might try the mountain bike again. We will see.
So far I’ve purchased 8 e-bikes and built one custom mid-drive e-bike.
I do not live in an area that is mountainous or has tall long hills. If you are going to do serious off-roading or hill climbing opt for a mid-drive. But otherwise hub motors are fine.
I have finally settled on a 1000watt 9-speed fat tire bike with front air fork. It uses combined cadence and torque sensors for pedal input. It’s made by JUICED and they are clearancing their silver full frame version and yellow step through version. $1499 & $1399 respectively. It’s called a “RipCurrent S”. They also sell an upgraded controller that is 2000watt and allows throttle control past the normally limited 20mph.
This is a killer deal for a 1000watt bike with torque sensor. I’m think they are on sale until they are gone. I purchased both of those bikes for my wife and I. The only negative is that the hydraulic brakes they come with aren’t great. A pad swap and 203mm rotor for the front helps quite a bit. But I opted to install Magura MTE5 4-piston brakes. The code to get the $100 off is VIP100 or if you were military, first responder, medical, teacher or student they have a link to get a $100 off code from VerifyPass.
There are several videos on YouTube for this bike. But they recently upgraded to the 1000watt hub so not much on YouTube about that. Also these bikes come with a whopping 52v 19.2ah battery. Here are the links if you are interested.

Thanks for the info....$1400 is still a lot in my book for a bike even though I'm sure it's worth it....once I learn and research more I'll be able to narrow it down to 1 or 2 choices....I've been in 3 car crashes since 2017 so I know about the aches, pains, and migraines also....;)

Thanks for the info....$1400 is still a lot in my book for a bike even though I'm sure it's worth it....once I learn and research more I'll be able to narrow it down to 1 or 2 choices....I've been in 3 car crashes since 2017 so I know about the aches, pains, and migraines also....;)
I understand. IMHO, Before you decide on a 20” style fat tire e-bike you really need to ride one. From my experience they do transfer road roughness to the rider much more then a 26” fat tire e-bike. I have a couple of 20” fat tire e-bikes and the only way to get them comfortable enough was to lower the tire pressure to 12psi. I’m 216 lbs. Also make sure they have front suspension and not a rigid fork.

I understand. IMHO, Before you decide on a 20” style fat tire e-bike you really need to ride one. From my experience they do transfer road roughness to the rider much more then a 26” fat tire e-bike. I have a couple of 20” fat tire e-bikes and the only way to get them comfortable enough was to lower the tire pressure to 12psi. I’m 216 lbs. Also make sure they have front suspension and not a rigid fork.
Thanks, @hsdrggr 20" inch is too small for me....my old DiamondBack is 26 and perfect....I don't want any smaller....

Back