Hello. I'm new to all of this!

Mike d

Local time
8:32 AM
I'm new to e-bikes. I'm a 76 year old man and haven't ridden a bike since I was 15, although I rode motorcycles from 16 to my late 40's

I bought a Tenways CGO600 single speed. They sent me a 250 watt version although their website advertised it as 350 watts. I was able to exchange it for the 350 watt, but it's a disappointment. It would be terrific in a flat area (i.e. Florida) but I live on Mt Desert island in Maine and there were hills I couldn't get up.

I have been able to put together an assortment of parts to make it a five speed bike and I'll do the swapover over the winter and let you all know how it works out.

I've been working on an old Schwinn lady's Colligate frame, finding parts to put it together and electrify it using a Bafang BBS02B motor with modifications to make it work for my 81 year old wife with the physical limits of aging. Shorter cranks, comfort seat, 26" wheels etc. All is being arranged to fit her and make an easy step over with minimal weight.

A third project, with no estimated date of completion is a 2013 Cannondale Jekyll alloy frame I will fit with an mid drive motor and Schram 11 speed single cassette drivetrain. I just keep looking for parts cheap (comparatively) to fit it out.

Yeah, that's a lot of stuff.

My mechanical background is varied. I have machine shop and welding training, but no such equipment here. I have experience on 2 and 4 cycle motorcycles, some racing mechanic and fabricator experience. I worked at assorted auto dealerships and truck and heavy equipment shops since I was a boy, so I'm comfortable fiddling around with bikes. The one thing that surprised me was the lack of standardized parts for the Schwinn.

I'm picking up a lot from this and other blogs and maybe I'll have something to contribute as my knowledge grows.

Back