Tires & Tubes Motorcycle tires on E-bike

They are going on a AWD ebike, well its actually more of a moped style. It's a heavy bike at 108lbs.

I'm mainly going to be on gravel, dirt, trail type roads when biking, with some pavement riding.

Im just looking for a better quality tire. The motorcycle tires will add 12lbs to the bike. Also looking for a tire with fairly aggressive tread, just to take advantage of the AWD aspect of the bike.

I was also looking at the Huntsman Vee tire, Which looks like a decent tire. It's a regular E-bike tire.

I got time to think, it was a pre-order bike, dual 1000w hub motors with dual batterys. Full suspension. This will also be my 1st real ebike, so I'm looking for options. Thanks any thoughts & advice are welcomed.
Ride the bike before you invest in new tires.

I'd be averse to all the extra weight.

I watched a video recently from FJester and he reported a 20% loss in range when he went to the heavier Shinko 244 tires. That would bug the hell out of me. I'd have to really be getting a lot of flats to accept that. I'd probably go with a heavier eBike-specific tire first, like the ones Schwalbe or Continental make.

The disadvantage of the unnecessary weight would not be my main concern.

I ride dual-sport and sport-touring motorcycles and I'm always looking for a tire that will perform better and give me more feedback when at the limit of traction. I like tires that grip tenaciously on the surfaces I encounter the most and have good feeling when not close to the edge of traction.

What I've found is the lightest carcass has big advantages in terms of maintaining control and providing good feel. A "wooden" feel doesn't provide the best grip and tends to let go more suddenly, without warning. Of course, if you go too light you will experience less reliability.

Running motorcycle tires on e-bikes would be about as smart as running fighter jet tires on your ultralight aircraft. They are made for different weight and speed ranges. Always run appropriate tires, not something designed for a very different application.

The disadvantage of the unnecessary weight would not be my main concern.

I ride dual-sport and sport-touring motorcycles and I'm always looking for a tire that will perform better and give me more feedback when at the limit of traction. I like tires that grip tenaciously on the surfaces I encounter the most and have good feeling when not close to the edge of traction.

What I've found is the lightest carcass has big advantages in terms of maintaining control and providing good feel. A "wooden" feel doesn't provide the best grip and tends to let go more suddenly, without warning. Of course, if you go too light you will experience less reliability.

Running motorcycle tires on e-bikes would be about as smart as running fighter jet tires on your ultralight aircraft. They are made for different weight and speed ranges. Always run appropriate tires, not something designed for a very different application.
Your points are quite good. I think people are largely drawn to thicker tires for enhanced puncture resistance.

Back