long ebike trips

I was typing my last reply while you were working on yours. I don't think those Thule racks would work for your bike, since the rear end of the bike is going to be moving around so much.

If your roads aren't paved, then don't change the tires; I assumed they were. (which island is it, by the way?)

apparently those Thule contraptions are designed for full suspension bikes (I read about someone using them on another forum) because they attach to the fork, not to the frame. So, they would oscillate with the wheel, but no more than on a rigid frame. This is a pic taken from the internet:

100015_alt2_sized_900x600.jpg

Note the metal straps triangulating the system. I am a bit concerned, though, about the reliability of the whole design on an unsealed road.

The island is La Palma. Not to be confused with Las Palmas de Gran Canarias or Palma de Majorca.
The tires came with tubes. So, I have to change them to tubeless in case.

Thanks for the many hints, Smaug (y).

well, it will take some time.

I started thinking about this short trip long ago, but by feet, and then who knows, it could be better with my ebike? I am planning doing it in September or October.

I am 64 now but an avid traveller, mostly for work but in very remote places (the avatar depicts me riding a bike to go to my "office" near the South Pole Station twenty years ago). And by any means: car, bike, feet, bus, train, aircraft, ship ... whatever.

Ebike is still missing... :)

Wow, that's look like a pretty serious setup.

Do you travel with tubeless? They tend to puncture more often, according to what they say, but then you can change the inner tube (which weighs less and are easier to repair. So, I am a bit uncertain about that.
I run tubes. However the tires I use are very puncture resistant. The tires are 26”x2.35” Schwalbe Pick-Up e-cargo bike tires.
Schwalbe pick-up 26x2.35 (60-559)

If I have a rear flat I usually leave the wheel on the bike, remove the left bead of tire and patch it with a REMA Patch. After I’m home, I’ll remove the patched tube replace it with a new one and move the patched tube to my bike tool bag as a backup tube.

I run tubes. However the tires I use are very puncture resistant. The tires are 26”x2.35” Schwalbe Pick-Up e-cargo bike tires.
Schwalbe pick-up 26x2.35 (60-559)

If I have a rear flat I usually leave the wheel on the bike, remove the left bead of tire and patch it with a REMA Patch. After I’m home, I’ll remove the patched tube replace it with a new one and move the patched tube to my bike tool bag as a backup tube.
hsdrggr, did you see that they are now making tubes that are not a continuous ring? We can now replace the tubes in the field without removing the rear wheel of the bike. (watch the video in the link)

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
I’ve seen them. Haven’t seen them for fat tire bikes though. Over the years these type tubes have come and gone. Never used them. Flybikes, Gaadi. I have no personal experience with them but have heard that the ends can rub holes in themselves and that sizing is pretty critical. I think in a pinch situation they are a good thing to have. But I’m not convinced that I would run double ended tubes 100% of the time. REMA patches have always worked well for me for many years. Funny thing is I carry a lot of them in my kit.
F3086AD9-3C8E-4632-A723-F252518E07D7.jpeg

There’s almost 100 REMA patches in my kit that I carry. I end up patching everyone’s tubes on rides. Because I’m pretty fast at it. But they pump them up.
Also I just bought one of these on Amazon Prime Day. Can’t wait to try it. It comes in tomorrow. That’s the worst part of the whole endeavor pumping forever until your biceps cramp on a 26x4 tire.
UPDATE: The pump works great! Just loud. I had to go into another room to blow the tire up because no one could hear the TV.
E32C238A-C7D7-4D41-A97F-F1EBAA40246C.png

Re. cramping, how about leave 85 of those patches at home and bring a CO2 inflator, with the pump as back-up?

Or running slime or equivalent?

Re. cramping, how about leave 85 of those patches at home and bring a CO2 inflator, with the pump as back-up?

Or running slime or equivalent?
Best price was bulk deal on patches.
Funny, I have some Flat Out coming in a few days. Coincidentally I had a flat last night. Slow leak on a 25 mile ride, almost made it home; 2 miles short. Decided to push it home. Mistake, 26x4 flat doesn’t roll well. My Heart rate was 162. Mr.Tuffy liners going in today and flat out as soon as it gets here!
I used to carry CO2 but gave it away. Also they are pretty useless on big tires. I guess not useless, but it take a few cartridges to pump them up. I think the mini li-ion pump is the ticket.

Best price was bulk deal on patches.
Funny, I have some Flat Out coming in a few days. Coincidentally I had a flat last night. Slow leak on a 25 mile ride, almost made it home; 2 miles short. Decided to push it home. Mistake, 26x4 flat doesn’t roll well. My Heart rate was 162. Mr.Tuffy liners going in today and flat out as soon as it gets here!
I used to carry CO2 but gave it away. Also they are pretty useless on big tires. I guess not useless, but it take a few cartridges to pump them up. I think the mini li-ion pump is the ticket.
I got Flat Out in some tires. I need to figure out how to get it in Prestas.

Do you think you need the liners AND Flat Out?

I got Flat Out in some tires. I need to figure out how to get it in Prestas.

Do you think you need the liners AND Flat Out?
Drill rims and switch to schrader valves. Chamfer the edges with a bigger bit too, so it won’t cut into valve as it wiggles.
Never had the tuffy liners before so I don’t know. Extra insurance maybe.

Back