Legs and Arms protections?

pagheca

Local time
6:20 AM
I've only fallen once so far, without any consequences, but I'm worried about the possibility of that happening since I do quite steep and adventurous off-road trails for my age and skills. So I'm considering buying some leg or arm protections, but I'd like to understand what happens when you ride hard uphill. Do they impede movement?

Does anyone have any kind advice on what to wear?

I've been riding motorcycles for almost 60 years and recommend you visit a motorcycle shop. They should have jackets with elbow and back protectors sewn in, and I also recommend shorts that you wear under your pants that are padded in the hip and tailbone areas.

Thanks for the comment @Jackson Ford. However, I am a bit skeptical about your suggestion. While riding a motorcycle you sit there. When you pedal uphill or downhill you need to freely move and dissipate heat.

Sorry, I was thinking about our current weather in N. Texas which is 60 degrees or so. I also have a mesh jacket from my motorcycle riding days similar to the performancebike long-sleeved padded shirt. Hip protection is a high priority for me at age 72. Ask me how I know that it's hard to protect from a collar bone fracture, that road rash is about the worst injury you can get, and how they cut off and throw away all that expensive protective gear in the ER. :)

thanks all for the links and sueggestion! However, I would really like to have an opinion about how does it feel to pedal with this kind of protection before ordering one. Do you have enough mobility? Does it feel hot after sweating?

Right, and this is the problem with ordering online. I hope I find something to try here before buying, or wait for my next international travel.

thanks all for the links and sueggestion! However, I would really like to have an opinion about how does it feel to pedal with this kind of protection before ordering one. Do you have enough mobility? Does it feel hot after sweating?
Properly fitted knee pads and elbow pads will absolutely not impede your movement while writing riding. As an example here is a link to a very simple knee pad from Specialized. There are plenty of simple elbow pads as well well go to your local shop try them on to see what size you are and then decide if you buy them there or online.

I've been riding this Fall in temperatures from 55 to 75 degrees F., and it's surprising how many different gloves, jackets, and footwear are needed if you want to stay warm or cool enough to be comfortable. Also, I ride for about an hour each time, and I tend to start out a little too cool and end up a little too warm. Best to have alternatives on board.

Back