Intro from Central California

Radler

Local time
5:26 AM
Hey all. Proud owner of a brand-new Heybike Race, which I got for much more money than expected after some Amz screw-ups.
Enjoying it a lot though, and have some questions that I hope finding answers.

Off to searching through the archives!

Thanks Human :unsure: and Jerry! Appreciate the warm welcome.
Looking to explore the possibility of using tool batteries to power my ebike. No real reason except that I am curious, have some on hand that I don't use much but would like to, and well, to extend the already pretty good range of my bike, or in case I am camping and forgot to take the charger.

Never heard of tool batteries powering a bike.....interesting concept????
Good quality tool batteries would make a more expensive pack, than a factory one. The 5 AH 20 volt Milwaukie battery pack is not cheap (I would know, I bought one about 2 months ago). Assuming you disassembled the packs and built a 50v 10AH bike battery, it would mean 5 Milwaukie 5AH packs

It is fairly common in DIY circles to use the eGo packs. Generally this is done by people who already own them for their power tools, so they can share them between the tools and the bike. eGo packs can be had in 56v and 12ah sizes just for one example. I have seen some creative setups that are wiring small packs in series that are set up visually to mimic the look of a v-twin motorcycle engine.

For this sort of project, you don't disassemble the packs. You use them with the proprietary receptacle. Usually via a scavenged tool acquired on the secondhand market, a discard pile or similar. That also lets you use the factory charger.

Probably Endless Sphere is a better place to explore this sort of project, I don't think too many here have gone down this route to be able to offer help.

It is fairly common in DIY circles to use the eGo packs. Generally this is done by people who already own them for their power tools, so they can share them between the tools and the bike. eGo packs can be had in 56v and 12ah sizes just for one example. I have seen some creative setups that are wiring small packs in series that are set up visually to mimic the look of a v-twin motorcycle engine.

For this sort of project, you don't disassemble the packs. You use them with the proprietary receptacle. Usually via a scavenged tool acquired on the secondhand market, a discard pile or similar. That also lets you use the factory charger.

Probably Endless Sphere is a better place to explore this sort of project, I don't think too many here have gone down this route to be able to offer help.
Thank you m@! I have a couple of 62V 4Ah packs - at about a third of my OEM pack, should give me 10-15mi per pack, if they can handle the current. I posted some more details right here. They are somewhat similar to the EGO batteries, unfortunately not compatible, and rather rare so probably no spare receptacles or adapters available.
You may be right that I am in the wrong place, I'll give your reco a shot.

Welcome, from SE Wisconsin.

I advise against experimenting with batteries; this is how fires are started and we (eBike community) don't need any more fires bringing Johnny Law down on us.

Enjoy your stay!

Back