How to open hub motor

clack

Local time
7:17 AM
I have been having some issues with my hub motor and I need to open it but don't know how - what tools, how to do it without damaging the housing, etc. I contacted the bike manufacturer - no luck getting any info from them. It is a
PWR Dually bike. It is an AKM motor inside a generic housing (image below). Any suggestions on how to do this, where to get the tool, parts for the planetary gears if they are damaged, etc.?

IMG_0489.jpg

Usually the hub motor opens from the non-drive side.
Flip the hub motor wheel over and see if there are mounting screws.

Usually the hub motor opens from the non-drive side.
Flip the hub motor wheel over and see if there are mounting screws.
Welcome back!
How did the doctors go?

Friendly question - how do you know you have AKM motor's on your "dually" (Dual-Motor w/Traction-Control ?

If you know the specs - heck you can order a New AKM motor same spec for under $150

Just to clarify - I've seen these videos. The one I have (see the pic above) is different from these. It has three bolts. I've seen a few people use a homemade jerry-rigged 3-bolt tool to take off the housing but i wanted to make sure this is the right process without damaging the housing - can I buy the tool somewhere? Any additional tips?

Just to clarify - I've seen these videos. The one I have (see the pic above) is different from these. It has three bolts. I've seen a few people use a homemade jerry-rigged 3-bolt tool to take off the housing but i wanted to make sure this is the right process without damaging the housing - can I buy the tool somewhere? Any additional tips?

There are many types of pullers out there. Here is a search for steering wheel puller but you could search for pulley puller or similar.
Take a look through here and see wheich one you like or think will work.

Keep us posted and show some pics as you get into the motor :)

Back