Help! How to close up motor when brushes keep popping out?

ding

Local time
2:30 AM
Greetings,

New to eBikes. I pulled a 2012 eZip Trailz out of the garbage the other day. The bike is in surprisingly good condition. IT didn't have battery packs with it but I have similar batteries that I bungeed to the rack and attached via alligator clips to test it. Works great. Bike was just neglected and needs basic bike TLC.

The motor is an XYD-16B1. This seems pretty standard on eZip bikes. I am a curious sort and so I removed the four screws from the cover plate and removed it. That's where the 4 motor brushes are located. The brushes popped out of their housing due to the springs behind them.

My question is how do I get this cover plate back on?! There is no locking mechanism or retainer that keeps the brushes retracted until released. I can't figure out how to keep them retracted enough so that I can get the plate back on. I'm hoping that somebody, somewhere, has replaced the brushes on this or a similar motor and can give me some pointers.
motor-ezip-tricruiser_1.jpg

Greetings,

New to eBikes. I pulled a 2012 eZip Trailz out of the garbage the other day. The bike is in surprisingly good condition. IT didn't have battery packs with it but I have similar batteries that I bungeed to the rack and attached via alligator clips to test it. Works great. Bike was just neglected and needs basic bike TLC.

The motor is an XYD-16B1. This seems pretty standard on eZip bikes. I am a curious sort and so I removed the four screws from the cover plate and removed it. That's where the 4 motor brushes are located. The brushes popped out of their housing due to the springs behind them.

My question is how do I get this cover plate back on?! There is no locking mechanism or retainer that keeps the brushes retracted until released. I can't figure out how to keep them retracted enough so that I can get the plate back on. I'm hoping that somebody, somewhere, has replaced the brushes on this or a similar motor and can give me some pointers.
View attachment 13233
There should be some holes in the brush holders you can put tooth picks in to to hold the brushes in to install the cover.

If it does not have the the brush holder holes,in the brush plate, then you will need to add your own.

Here's what I do. You need sewing thread and some tape. Cut a piece of thread about 12 inches long. Hold the middle of the thread against the brush and push the brush all the way inside its guide. Tape both ends of the thread, tight, to the back of the cover. That will hold the brush. Repeat for all four brushes. Tap the cover in until the gap is about 1/16 inch then, for each brush, remove the tape and pull one of the ends of the thread to remove it. Don't worry if it breaks, if a little piece of thread is left inside it won't cause any problems. Then finish inserting the cover.

Back